Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Clear Coating Clear-ification !

Hi Folks,

First, I apologize, as I assume that the information I'm looking for exists somewhere in this forum, but I'm unable to locate/recognize where the solution is.

We have a 1985 345 Motorhome. While the sides of the exterior look ok, the roof areas(as well as starting down the tops of the sides) need to be treated before they go 'bad'. My understanding of "BAD" is that they blacken/turn a nasty color that isn't desirable.

The local shop quoted me $10k to redo the entire bus, stripping and re-clear coating. Thought that was a bit much.

As an alternative, they recommended re-clear-coating just the parts on the top that are turning. The goal being to keep them in their current state, and at least not get any worse. FYI - I'm in Southern Az, so LOTS of intense sun.

So here are some of my MANY questions:

1) Does the above make sense?

2) Do I have the right idea/approach to solving my coating-issues?

3) I would like to re-clear coat the roof areas myself if possible, therefore, what product(s) are recommended? Strip then re-clear coat? or can you just re-clear coat?

Thanks all !

Todd
Toddnazus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Depending upon where the "transition" is occuring (where it starts to look bad), if you're trying to save money, you might consider plasticoting the top white. Plasticote is a removable paint (you can peel it off like sunburned skin), and painting the roof white will *really* help with that AZ sun-heat.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I removed the clear coat with stripper and re coated with Nylaic. Do a search for info about the product. Worked fairly well. You have to be careful not to mark the Al. I used a wipe on Al polish being careful to work in one direction with no swirls. You can do small sections with this method:
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Clear Coating Clear-ification !

Most newer Airstream trailers now have white painted roofs. Others have used “Bus Coat” or similar products to seal and paint the roof white, which cuts out a lot of heat gain.

From the ground, you can’t really see that the roof is aluminum or white. Just a few thoughts to consider.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
White color always stands up well in sun n heat, just have to figure out which type is best, I'm still undesided after 4 years. Waiting for the other owners to report in with early failures
Aircraft strippers that don't affect the alloy or touch plastic is very important choice to make, then use a powerful water blaster, four ish goes n done.
Top off your sides means that you'r likely to be stripping the whole machine, an easy and enjoyable job,20 Lt.
I would never consider recouting in a clearcoat, this next bit could appear contentious to some, but If you look closely at the skins in places you' r probably find tiny grey lightning like marks on the alloy surface. To make a capacitor you cover the anode with a separator like a clear coat and as the alloy is not grounded to earth as in our airstreams there are tiny discharges given off particularlly in your dry climate. Mine have seased once my clear coat was removed.
Turpinetine - Linsed 9-1 mix, 15min twice a year with a rag dries fast looks good
Not over engineered just simple easy reversible procedures.
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
White color always stands up well in sun n heat, just have to figure out which type is best, I'm still undesided after 4 years. Waiting for the other owners to report in with early failures

Thus my recommendation for Plasticote or similar. If it doesn't work or you don't like it, you can just peel it off! You could also go to a vinyl shop (the places that make those giant ads that they adhere to cars and buses) and purchase some blank white.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
One more very very important thing.
If and only IF you strip the old compromised paints you leave all the rivits exposed aswell as the tops off the mid rub rails they will let in water if you go were it rains that is
Don't underestimate this problem, water is cunning and works like a solvent .
So Captain Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure is the solution 4 tiny bottles off the stuff an seap it in around thoes afor mentioned areas done .
Old 05-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Yes Vinyl I may consider that, ta
Rus
Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Look up:
Superior coating solutions.
They offer a Super Therm ceramic paint.
I am refurbishing my 1990 34’ Limited.
I have bought the paint but haven’t applied it as of yet. I looks very effective and this may help your situation a lot and it’s much cheaper that redoing the clear coat.
My Airstream did not have the White painted roof, so this is one of my improvements I’m making.
Cost me a little over 400$ for 4 gallons of the coating including shipping.
Look them up and I feel it’s a much better product for your roof.
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Thomas, good find. I have ceramic micro vacume spheres, a NASA by product you mix it into your paint, I have not tried it yet , as at some point these paints have to be removed back to the alloy , a real concern!
Superior Coating Solutions product looks best sofar..maybe someone on this site has used it...?
Rus
Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
I'm planning on coating my '30 Excella 500 with Plasticoat and adding the micro-spheres. eBay has tons of different coatings, some with and some without the micro-spheres. Prices looked A LOT cheaper than some of the mentioned suppliers and shipping is cheaper or free. Micro-spheres can be added to any paint or elastomeric coating, so you might look at Home Depot or Lowe's websites first.
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote