Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up Clarification with the blue paint please

I have read through each post about which blue to purchase to redo the blue lettering and strpes along the sides. Here is my debate..

I went to Home Depot this evening to look for Rustoleum Royal Blue and what I found was this stuff in a can, in several types (i was gonna buy the one to cover rust) and then they had it in pints, but not in matte, only glossy.

I have seen that people use both, but it hasn't been mentioned that one works better for the lettering vs. the stripes around the body or vice versa. I also plan on touching up the vin plate, and the decal which reads tradewind. I was nervous to make the purchase. something about masking and spraying this stuff all the way around on the stripe frightens me, yet it makes sense on the little plates, then a wipe of the excess with a solevant I suppose.. the glossy seems a bit much, but maybe it doesn't come out as flashy as it sounds?

if somebody could please post photos to show the difference of the spray versus the pints of wet paint I'd really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the can, but hoping I can find it in matte. feel free to talk me out of this if masking it all the way around is actually a breeze and turns out nice.

-Kelly
Old 09-13-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I used spray cans from WM on my front and rear nameplates. It turned out looking very nice (if I do say so myself ) I'll try and and post some pics tomorrow. I'm still debating the best course of action on my VIN plate.

JB
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Thumbs up thanks

Thanks. I like the spraypaint idea, but for some reason I feel like painting it by hand all the way around you'd get a little bit more control. When you use the spraypaint to use special tips on your spraycans in addition to masking it?
tips are what graffetti kids use sometimes to make exact lines. You usualy have to ask the paint people for them specificly or they get stolen from the stores.

-kelly
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
so rustoleum in a can or spray? matte or glossy?

There has been many posts about this particular blue, but I am still looking for more info if anybody has it? Does the glossy in the can look ok? It seems like matte is the way to go.
THANKS!

-Kelly
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't know which is original....The PO of my Globetrotter used gloss to repaint the trim - it looks good.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I've only used the Royal Blue glossy in a pint and it's not really that glossy. It's just blue pain and matches great. So does the red and white should you need to do the side emblems on older trailers. Zip Dee lettering too.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote