Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I keep it under an RV Carport with ends covered by shade cloth. If I had left it out in the elements, I'd expect the finish to be less lustrous and maybe have a somewhat dull finish on the upper areas which would have a lot of UV exposure. Texas summers can be brutal. Most of the finish still looks almost new. I think this is more a product of using a really good clearcoat for the basecoat/clearcoat system. If I remember correctly, I had a choice of clearcoats, some better and more durable than others. I remember one, I think it was called "Diamond Brite" or something like that, was suppost to be superior to all others in terms of clarity and durability. At the time I was painting it, I was venturing into some unknow territory so I went with a less "pricey" option. However, in todays "light" (6 years later) I wish I'd sprung for the best stuff. The trailer has served us very well over the 100,000 or so miles we've towed it. I'm convident it has several times that many more miles remaining in it's useful life. It has a great "durable" and enjoyable quality to it. Those are virtues I value in any project, and I'm pleased I was able to express them in this project.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Leong1, I have the same trailer as you originally painted in 1990. Like Bob, mine was stored under an RV carport with the ends exposed. The paint has held up wonderfully where the sun did not directly hit it. The blue stripe and the pewter bumper and a-frame have been repainted more than once. I also just had a silver panel repainted on the curbside fore and aft of the entry door due to peeling of clearcoat from sun exposure. It is now stored indoors. As Bob stated, the finish is durable and enjoyable. People have no idea the trailer is 34 years old.

I'd rather spend an afternoon waxing the trailer once a year than spend days/weeks polishing the bare aluminum more frequently. Painting is much more expensive than stripping and polishing initially but under the right storage conditions will end up being cheaper/less labor intensive in the long run to maintain.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #123
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Here's my RV cover and trailer in the back yard.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
Hi Bob,

Hope your still out there. More questions, when you were painting each side of your trailer how or where did you mask off for an ending spot? Did you stop at a rivited section? Have really enjoyed your thread. I hope this summer to paint my Silver Streak.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I would stop the paint where the front cap joint meets the side and at the joint where the rear cap meets the side.

I'm seeing signs of the clear coat starting to break down so I know I'm going to have to repaint this winter. The plan is to sand it down to the epoxy primer and shoot a single stage paint this time. When I shot the two stage paint, I was given a choice of clearcoats based on price. I went with the lower priced clearcoat thinking the difference was in clarity or ability to be glossy. Turns out, it must have been in UV resistance.
Bob T.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
Thanks Bob,

Any idea what brand of single stage paint you will use? That is what I plan to do on mine, when I get myself started.

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #127
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
No, I don't really know what brand of paint I will use. I will check out Nason Ful-Thane and Dupont Imron first and see where it leads me. I've used both in the past and have confidence in how they turn out as well as how they hold up over time.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #128
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
No, I don't really know what brand of paint I will use. I will check out Nason Ful-Thane and Dupont Imron first and see where it leads me. I've used both in the past and have confidence in how they turn out as well as how they hold up over time.
Bob, in about one weeks time I'll get my argosy back which will have been shot with the single stage nason ful thane urethane product. Ill throw some pictures up. All the materials for a 28' were less than $500 but I did forego the activator from the data sheet.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I think painted is best. Mine was painted 17 years ago when new by Can-Am in Ontario and is stored outside full time. I have one spot of clearcoat that is peeling. I'm going to touch that up and hope to get a few more years before a total repaint. The paint seals all joints and rivets and I have only had one roof vent leak. It was a crack in the vent not the caulking. That was original and except for the surface appearance the caulk was still perfect.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote