Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Chrome shops

Well we had a GREAT little chrome shop here in town that shipped stuff down to Mexico to Chrome and back. They did great work, and the price was amazing (say 4 baby moons for 50 bucks including shipping). They folded last year before I could get stuff in.

I'm trying to get the burner covers, stove top, oven handle, chrome control panel behind the knobs and side trim rechromed. Closest place is about 3 hours away and they want over $250 just for the stove top, plus more for the rest. I'm guessing probably $700-800 because the burner trays are pretty rusty.

Pretty obvious that the chrome was rather thin to start, and that people scrubbed these with steel wool and started the process.

Does anyone know of a good chrome shop near them that does reasonable work that I could send pictures to for a ballpark estimate? We just don't have the bucks in this economy to spend that kind of money here locally.

Thanks!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I've used two shops for various and sundry parts. One in L.A. and one here in Sacramento . . . both charge pretty outrageous prices, I think they know "we" have very few choices. The last batch I brought in included 6 pieces (oven handle, cooktop trim ring, backing plate for the oven/stove knobs, cap for the license plate light . . . anyway, the guy kind of "glanced at them" and said $375. I kind of gulped hard and said ok . . . and kept it a secret from all interested parties (my wife).
Good Luck, and if you do find a reasonably priced place, let me/us know.
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
You should see what I got charged to do all the chrome on my 1958 Buick. 350 is cheap.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
58 Buick, I'd guess about $6 to $8 grand.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Scott,

Have you looked into high temp powdercoating?
Heard of very good results, easy maint.

Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Here is a place in Spokane. I used them to re-chrome, actually it was nickle, some air registers in our old house. They did a fantastic job but it was rather spendy. I was referred to them by a guy who is into show cars and they do a lot of his work. I also compared them to another shop here in town and liked their willingness to work with me on my small job.

Spokane Metal Finishing
1519 E Trent Ave
Spokane, WA 99202

Professional Chromers / Spokane Metal Finishing / Chrome Plating, Polishing And Repair

(509) 535-7166

Kim Degenstein, Owner
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
find the Harley shops!

The thing to do is to ask at any local Harley Davidson shops in your locale. H-D riders regularly worship The Chrome Fairy, and will have the ins and outs of anyone nearby that does it...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath
Here is a place in Spokane. I used them to re-chrome, actually it was nickle, some air registers in our old house. They did a fantastic job but it was rather spendy. I was referred to them by a guy who is into show cars and they do a lot of his work. I also compared them to another shop here in town and liked their willingness to work with me on my small job.

Spokane Metal Finishing
1519 E Trent Ave
Spokane, WA 99202

Professional Chromers / Spokane Metal Finishing / Chrome Plating, Polishing And Repair

(509) 535-7166

Kim Degenstein, Owner
The silver shine in a chrome finish is nickel. The outer layer is chromium. The initial layer is typically copper.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Adams Plating CO, 521 N Rosemary Street Lansing, Michigan 517-321-8239, very good work at a very cheap price in 2008.............

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Scott, I used a guy in Mt. Vernon. Very small shop, just two guys, and they were mostly doing Harley stuff. About $250 for my stuff which was the Bargman H-20 door lock, the scare light, a few interior latches, and some other odd bits. Nice guy, very good results, but took a long time.

Specialty Plating
tel:360-336-2355

-steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
El Monte Plating Co. 626 448 3607. I have used them for years on custom plumbing parts. recently in the last year, my 4-moons were $38 plus shipping. EPA laws have changed the entire industry.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks guys, I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and mail out some pictures. Attached is the current condition.

Bob I've considered powder coat, wasn't sure how well the finish would hold up (as far as dulling etc) and had heard from some sources that once powder coated they can't be recoated, that may be incorrect however. I emailed our local powdercoater this morning to see what they say.

The Spokane shop is who I got a bid from per recommendations from a local street rodder, but was hoping to find something more economical. I'm not trying to go on the cheap but know it will get done sooner rather than later if I can get the price down some.

Thanks for the leads everyone, and if you haven't posted and know a good shop please still let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stovetop.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	149007   Click image for larger version

Name:	stovefront.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	149008  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stovefront2.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	149009  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Scott,

Have you looked into high temp powdercoating?
Heard of very good results, easy maint.

Bob
Lothlorian (Brian) had this done at a local shop to his stove and was very happy with the results. He had some other parts painted as well, but you'll have to have him fill in the details. Not very expensive at all.

Somebody pointed to the EPA as part of the problem. My buddy Eric, who helps with the woodwork on my rig, says the same thing. He works for a nationwide auto salvage company and has to deal with these folks on occasion. IIRC, he said there was nobody in our state that will fool with it any longer because of all of the regulations.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
How much is a whole new stove?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
How much is a whole new stove?

WAY LESS than what Scott has invested in this stove!!! But he is trying to restore one of the few original "Around the world" trailers so I say ROCK ON!

I admire his tenacity to stay original...
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Haha yes Shelly this is true, and with lots of help from forums folks or I'd be even more upside down! Splitrock a replacement range won't fit due to the placement of windows and the sink. We have a new fridge since it was the only option out there, but we did the stock finish etc on it and put the one that was the closest to original size in.

I will call the other shops tomorrow but faxed pictures to El Monte today and the guy was really good to talk to.

Adams Plating evidentially burned last year which might explain no answer, going to try again tomorrow in case they've reopened with a new shop. Thanks for all the leads guys!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
EPA - Hip hip horray!

Hi Scott

I went thought the same difficulties finding a company to have plating done. I had my hub caps and stove top replated by a business in Massachusetts and it is not inexpensive as others that have posted here.

I had each item done seperately as I wanted to see how the hub caps turned out first, and in each case they warned me that any corrosion and pits in the metal would effect the finished product.

They also suggested I could save on the cost by doing as much preparing surface work to smooth the metal and remove rust and pitting. This is when I started to realize way this can be expensive work. This and the fact that they are working with highly hazardous materials and must guard against improper handling and disposal.

I considered trying a high temp satin paint for the cook top like a baked on enamel and do not see why this could not work. But after already being in pretty deep on my Safari I went ahead with the chrome stove top also.

I would hope that the restoration people doing this kind of work consider all of the implications of having this work done by people that are not following safe environmental policies. What if this shop in Mexico is located next to a preschool,dairy farm or public water supply?

Cheap has a way of catching up with us. From my perspective (our) EPA is not doing nearly enough enforcement and unfortunatley that is why so many former plating companies are now superfund sites.

I am sure others will have different opinions on this.

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote