Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
How much is a whole new stove?

WAY LESS than what Scott has invested in this stove!!! But he is trying to restore one of the few original "Around the world" trailers so I say ROCK ON!

I admire his tenacity to stay original...

Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Haha yes Shelly this is true, and with lots of help from forums folks or I'd be even more upside down! Splitrock a replacement range won't fit due to the placement of windows and the sink. We have a new fridge since it was the only option out there, but we did the stock finish etc on it and put the one that was the closest to original size in.

I will call the other shops tomorrow but faxed pictures to El Monte today and the guy was really good to talk to.

Adams Plating evidentially burned last year which might explain no answer, going to try again tomorrow in case they've reopened with a new shop. Thanks for all the leads guys!

Scott & Megan
WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit

Tappan range oven (for spare parts)
baby moons for stock rims with clips
twist drawer knobs and their face frame screw in hook

Marvel Refrigerator

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
EPA - Hip hip horray!

Hi Scott

I went thought the same difficulties finding a company to have plating done. I had my hub caps and stove top replated by a business in Massachusetts and it is not inexpensive as others that have posted here.

I had each item done seperately as I wanted to see how the hub caps turned out first, and in each case they warned me that any corrosion and pits in the metal would effect the finished product.

They also suggested I could save on the cost by doing as much preparing surface work to smooth the metal and remove rust and pitting. This is when I started to realize way this can be expensive work. This and the fact that they are working with highly hazardous materials and must guard against improper handling and disposal.

I considered trying a high temp satin paint for the cook top like a baked on enamel and do not see why this could not work. But after already being in pretty deep on my Safari I went ahead with the chrome stove top also.

I would hope that the restoration people doing this kind of work consider all of the implications of having this work done by people that are not following safe environmental policies. What if this shop in Mexico is located next to a preschool,dairy farm or public water supply?

Cheap has a way of catching up with us. From my perspective (our) EPA is not doing nearly enough enforcement and unfortunatley that is why so many former plating companies are now superfund sites.

I am sure others will have different opinions on this.

wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote