Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Cast Emblem and Grab Handle pitting (removal?)

How best to remove (or at least smooth out) the pitting on our '64 Bambi script and grab handle to the left of the door? I am guessing these are cast in aluminum and in that case, not fearing a rust issue, a light grit wet-sandpaper could be used to at least smooth the pits out.

Am I way off base here?

Ben
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
The grab handle is chrome plated steel and the Bambi script emblem is brass plated pot-metal. I had both of mine re-plated. The handle pits can be filled and sanded before plating but the pot metal emblem is very fragile. A good plating shop can use special solder to smooth the corrosion and re-plating.

Check out posts #26 & 27 in the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...lem-55780.html thread.
WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
This is something we oughta put on a Vintage Trailer Supply "wish list". I'd love a clean, new Globe Trotter name tag... ours is not only pitted but has a couple of big, ugly screws holding it on.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Removal?

Supposing I wished to get these replated...how does one remove them? Would interior wall panels need to be removed to get to clips or threaded studs?

Ben
Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Quote:
Removal?
Supposing I wished to get these replated...how does one remove them? Would interior wall panels need to be removed to get to clips or threaded studs?

Ben
Yes, you must remove the interior skin behind the emblem to remove it. The emblem is attached with spring clips pushed onto moulded pins on the back of the emblem. These pins are a likely source of leaks and a heavy dose of sealant is a good idea when replacing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emblem back.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	102500  
WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Brass??

So like in posts #26 and 27, the Bambi script would actually be brass in color? I would think it would look better silver...interesting that they used brass accents on a famously silver trailer brand.

Ben
Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
So like in posts #26 and 27, the Bambi script would actually be brass in color? I would think it would look better silver...interesting that they used brass accents on a famously silver trailer brand.

Ben
My 65 Airstream has chrome script .The name tags and serial tag have a brass frame ,not chrome.
I had the International script (2) and Ambassador script chrome plated.They look new but at $85 ea. they should.It was worth it.I had the frames anodized @$80.
I did the American Flag plates myself over several days then clearcoated.
Although pricy,it is something that I will only do once and I believe it really adds to the resto.
I too thought it would be great for VTS to produce something like these items but they would cost more than restoring since there is not a huge demand.
The grab handle was something I think they did have at one time.Would be nice since this is something under daily stress .
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote