Old 04-14-2003, 09:34 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tamara and others.
Vinyl inserts for moldings was first used in 1974.
Prior to that, all the moldings were painted with a blue color.
What shade blue? It changed over the years.
Use whatever shade blue you wish.
We suggest a "metallic" blue. Looks much nicer than just a "blue."

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com

Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #44
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
black???

andy

my buddy's '74 excella has some trim left on it, it is black.

is it still available?

john

Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 AM   #45
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All the moldings prior to 1974 were "painted," period.
The only exception is if someone updated the trailer and used the insert type moldings.
Doesn't matter what it looks like, the vinyl inserts will not fit the old (prior to 74) trailers.
If you want to buy some and find out for yourself, that's ok. But, when you find it doesn't work, there can be no returns.
The older moldings were either painted or had a "tape" applied.
Sorry.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-14-2003, 10:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
John.
Any size black is no longer available from Airstream. It has been discontinued.

However, we have some of the two sizes of belt line and the two sizes of the rub rail left from the old method of packaging and pricing, (500 foot rolls).

When it's gone, it's gone.

Then it will be "blue" only.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-15-2003, 03:37 AM   #47
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Belt line,

>>There are two uses for the insert. The "rub rail" which is at the floor line of the trailers and motorhomes, and the "belt line," which goes through the center of the trailers and motorhomes.

There are two sizes (width) of belt line. The wide belt line was used starting in 1974 and was used until 1977.
The narrow belt line was used starting in 1978 and up.<<

Andy, What about mine? the 1981 (or is it 1982?)...I'm not even sure now...it's kinda like my age! lol... I think mine is a 1981-32 footer (in my screenname I have 8131...but that's because I didn't think 8231 sounded as good!!!

But really, what about the ones ater 1977? You said the "narrow beltline ...in 1978 and up"...ok I have the lower belt line (floor) and the wide one "through the center"...but that one is painted on and is 2 stripes of dark blue at the top and one of light blue in the centre, and pin stripes of gold between them. I'm going to take a photo of it. The floorline "Vinylclad" is mostly cracked off...and thrown out. Would you like me to mail you a piece of it? That would be easy to do.

Did you ever find anyone who wanted a partial roll? What lengths do they come in again? I need to measure Bear...or do you know the circum. of a 32 footer? and how many feet can I get at the best price?

Someone on The Forum needed some of this too...but I've lost track of them. Does the roll come big enough for 2 A/Sers to share it?

Thanx for your imput.
...........Cat
Old 04-15-2003, 06:43 AM   #48
pap

Well now it's perfectly clear !!

Duh!

With all due respect to all concerned, I think this thread is indicative of how a fairly simple subject can get rather complicated.
Or is the whole thing written in some secret code that I missed out on?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Right on Pap,

And we haven't even heard anything on how to properly install it, it doesn't just slide in with the finger and you're done! You must rivet each end down, don't try to be cheap and piece it in by sections it like I did, it will shrink and expand in relation to the weather. Also look for loose or popped rivets on your tracks, I had to reset a bunch of the rivets on mine.

BTW, Andy, Are those little blue clips that are used in conjunction with the blue rivets to retain the ends available? I used some blue painted rivet washers on mine.

Chas
Old 04-15-2003, 10:09 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Cat.
Now you have me confused. You need to make a trip where it's warm and thaw your thinking cap.

Rub rail is at the floor line.

Belt line is midway through the shell.

All of the blue inserts come in 50 rolls only. Other colors are no longer available from Airstream.

The insert material is easily bent and simply placed into the channel of the molding. It does help to leave it in the sun to warm it up, so that it will bend easier.

The insert must be anchored at each end by either having the casting clamp it down, or, by placing a rivet through an end cap "AND" through the insert.

If that procedure is not followed, the insert will pull loose, as it has a tendency to shrink.

Also you cannot used two pieces between moldings.

Some end caps are still available.

It is no longer feasible to sell the inserts in anything other than 50 foot rolls, as that is how Airstream supplies it.

Keeping a bunch of shorter pieces around becomes an inventory nightmare.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-16-2003, 06:19 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
to Andy....interior vinyl insert?

Andy....
Is the blue vinyl insert that's available the same size as the "beige" now yellow vinyl insert that is used for trim above the front side windows and the cabinets above the galley on the INSIDE of my '77 Sovereign? If it would fit, it might be nice to add a little color accent to the inside of my trailer!
Or if it's a different size, is any of this trim available?
Thanks
JG
Old 04-16-2003, 09:56 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The beige "nosing" for the interior is our part number 71411, and we sell many many feet of it.
The trailer blue rub rail insert is 1/8 inch wider than the nosing. It would fit, but it would also buckle outward somewhat.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-16-2003, 03:00 PM   #53
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Duh

Paps...
PerHaps 'experience' is what makes you so well-versed on this subject...some of us aren't so blessed, and therefore...we ask. DUH.
I think Charles just proved that this thread has some purpose after all--- if for no other reason than the answers you just gave for those of us who are not as experienced (in some areas) as some of you.
and
Andy...If I sounded confused, I WAS---Technically, I can be quite often...and I turn to the List for answers...except when it comes to Interior Design. Excuse me, but I thought that's what these "Threads" on this Forum were for!!!
Thank you all for pointing out the complexities of the location of these lines --- and Charles & Andy for the instruction 'cavaet'. This is after all what I was trying to learn.

If I sound a bit like "sour grapes" ... it's because I feel like it. Because once in a great while, unfortunately, there are those of you on this List who are so experienced &/or so capable in one way or another---or all ways, that (they) have ZERO patience/tolerance with those of us who may be lacking in one or all of these area. This is one of those times

Perhaps someday, you guys will have a technical question for me,,,in MY areas of expertise (where I am MORE capable and experienced than you---and you are NOT. When you do (IF you do ask---& I doubt that you ever would actually), I promise I will NOT make you feel so inept.

I think I will begin posting my requests in PM from now on.

Cat

P.S. One thing that reassures me in this regard, is that (like in times past), I have had other members who PM me and give me their support.
Have a good day! ---or, if you prefer,,,have a ---------- DUH
Old 04-16-2003, 05:03 PM   #54
pap

Cat all I can say now is duh! ditto!

Settle down sugar, I am a fan of yours. (and not ashamed to say so in a "public message". In fact I wondered what had become of you. No posts since February. I was afraid you had abandoned ship like I hear that all the Canadians have done.
Not sure I blame them,but I really haven't had time to puruse those threads yet.

I am very inexperienced by the way. In very many things including Interior Design, and would not hesitate to ask for your advice.

I was also anxiously awaiting the posting of your promised pictures so I would be more savvy about vinyl inserts. I wasn't trying to be condescending but I did think most of what you asked last had been asked before, most in the same thread. I also prefaced my remarks with the phrase, "with all due respect" as I recall.

We all have our peeves about the way others communicate I suppose. I for instance wonder why this 'Duh' subject needed it's own thread.
Or why people promise to follow up and never do. Or why moderators don't rearrange more threads/posts or why management doesn't answer queations regarding the mechanics of the forums that might help in easier searchs and other useage shortcuts. But my many months of reading and lurking here prior to joining I think I realized that this forum is very cliquish and very sensitive to any criticism or suggestions from the pissants like me.In the meantime I must live with my style of discussion. Sorry if I hurt your feelings that was not my intent.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:37 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
????????????????????

What in the world are we talking about here?
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #56
pap

Wink

Rubrail Rik raw rubrail rubbed wrong.