Old 11-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Question Blue Stripe Replacement

Hey All,
I need to replace the middle blue stripe on my 34ft trailer. The stripe also has the silver pinstripes on top of it. Where would be the best place to get this stripe material ? After purchasing the material what woul be the best way to put it on ? Would I need to remove the old stripe or put the new stripe over the original ? Also how do you put on the silver pinstripes straight ? Thanks for the help. Davis

Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Try this place...
www.galls.com
They sell 3M tape that is used on Cop cars and Fire trucks for their graphics.
Will not be exact match though.
Clean area with Windex, dry, then tape.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I would suggest removing the original before allying the new. It will be very hard to hide the old one if left on. I would try a hair drier or heat gun to ease the removal process. I've done this on autos before with good results.
Anyone with experience with a heat gun think this is a bad idea? It doesn't seem like it should warp panels, but....
Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I would suggest removing the original before allying the new. It will be very hard to hide the old one if left on. I would try a hair drier or heat gun to ease the removal process. I've done this on autos before with good results.
Anyone with experience with a heat gun think this is a bad idea? It doesn't seem like it should warp panels, but....
Using a heat gun, is ok, "BUT" do so carefully, and with minimum heat as possible.

It is possible to warp the metal if too much heat is used, or if you don't continuously move the heat gun.

Andy
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sit down when you ask the price of that striping. When I planned to redo our 30' striping this summer, it was going to cost hugely more per FOOT than I anticipated, and that didn't even take into account the task of stripping the old off. I passed on the project, and I'm still considering getting good paint in the maroon reds and greys of our unit and some fine water color brushes to paint fill in where the old has gotten ragged. I plan to try a patch and see if the effect is at least acceptable. Anyway, be prepared for a costly redo. Your Airstream should look great when the job is done! (I had priced the stiping at an AS dealer .)
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
The use of a heat gun is the correct way in doing this. The setting of the temp and how long you expose an area is soeting you will have to be very careful with. You will not damage the aluminum, but you could damage your clear coat. You didn't mention the year of your AS so Idon't know which clear coat you have. Start with medium heat on the gun. You will have two settings, one for actual temp and the other for amount of air. The trick is to bring the gun close to your work for more heat and away from the work for a lower temp. Using this process will allow you to take your time with one hand holding the gun and the other the loose end of the taping.

Just take your time and have patience!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I purchased three rolls of striping from an EBAY seller, paid $10-20 for each 150' Roll. Great stuff, get the right size and you xan stripe right over the old striping, you just be sure it is cleaned well, I used mineral spirits, then washed it down and dried. My motorhome and trailer were both done this way. The moho striping held up great over the 4+ yrs I had it. Check out the trailer striping in the next post
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
stripes redone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	October Rally 003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	28338  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've been saving the site Stripeman.com in my favorites for when I redo the Excella type stripe (next year's project). Looks like they have 6" wide and then you can run the pinstriping over that. Your beltline on top & below the stripe should help you keep it straight. I've looked everywhere for a stripe that's all together like the one on mine now, but I can't find it anywhere. Looks like a three step process--stripe, stripe, stripe. Have fun!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Thanks for the tips everyone. Davis
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've got the stripe removed. The glue left behind was unbelievable! I stripped it twice with BIX stripper & then used a razor blade straight up & down to scrape whatever else was left off. There still is a little bit of residue from the glue on it. Would it hurt to apply the new stripe over this, or do I have to get every tiny bit off? It's smooth to the touch, but the metal was etched before the last stripe was applied & it's not like shiney metal underneath. Any help is appreciated!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 05-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Any advice from the experts is soooooo needed! I going to try to put it on this weekend!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Hi,

Not an expert, but if you have enough that there will be some extra, why not apply a short piece over the roughest area. That way you can see how it's going to lay down for you. You'll of course have to take it off but better that than be unsatisfied with the entire job.

If you decide to try and remove more adhesive - maybe give 3M automotive adhesive remover a shot - any auto parts store. Good luck with your project.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:35 AM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Go to an auto paint supply store, and get a package of plastic razor blades, you can use these to scrape off almost all the glue without damaging the clearcoat. Mineral spirits and a soft shop towel can really help with the glue. Try the mineral spirits on a not-so-obvious area to make sure it doesn't react with the clearcoat. Wipe off the area after you get the glue off with a dry soft cloth or towel.