Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Question AS Pewter Gray Paint

Hi,

Has anyone run into this problem with the A/S pewter gray paint which is so economical at only $18.95 a can!! (Plus shipping!!!!)

I am adding a sewer hose holder to my trailer ( I need two because,... well that's too much information). It came to me in white. I painted it with the A/S paint about six weeks ago. It's still tacky. The people I bought it from said it takes a while to dry. I had hoped to install the thing in this century.

Seriously, any other bad experiences with this stuff? Does anyone know of a popular brand of paint like Krylon or that sold by auto stores that is the same color?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

PhiDor

[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

"Jerry and our Amazing Dream Stream"
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDor View Post
Hi,

Has anyone run into this problem with the A/S pewter gray paint which is so economical at only $18.95 a can!! (Plus shipping!!!!)

I am adding a sewer hose holder to my trailer ( I need two because,... well that's too much information). It came to me in white. I painted it with the A/S paint about six weeks ago. It's still tacky. The people I bought it from said it takes a while to dry. I had hoped to install the thing in this century.

Seriously, any other bad experiences with this stuff? Does anyone know of a popular brand of paint like Krylon or that sold by auto stores that is the same color?

PhiDor
Paint that stays tacky that long has sat in the can too long or has defective formulation. "A while" is 24 to 48 hours IMHO. Call and ask for a refund and a fresh gallon.

Paula

Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDor View Post
Hi,

PhiDor
I would grab that paint at that price.

Airstreams new suggested price as of May 1, 2010, is $ 23.28 per can.

Andy
Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
I have been looking at the forum and I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm waiting for A/S to call back now.
[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
_

. , .
even A/S doesn't paint the slinky tubes with their OWN lower segment/tongue paints.

new trailers come with BLACK sewer tube holsters

and the white ones added diy or by dealers, look GREAT painted black.

the a/s self leveling A frame/lower segment paint is really good stuff, (rattle cans not gallons)

typically dries in about 2-3 hours (normally) to touch and is fully hard in 1-2 days.

but it's features (gloss/self leveling/chip resistance) are wasted on the crapper tube.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Airstream paint? I have to defer to my local hardware store for this kind of stuff. I prefer to keep them in business. I couldn't find any paint there that cost as much as you paid, at least in a spray can. I would return it for a REFUND. Take the cash and get two cans of rustoleum, and a nice lunch.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties,
Rich the Viking
Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Reply to Andy

That thank you was supposed to say, You can have my share of the paint. I've learned my lesson and won't be buying anymore. Free? OK. Money? NO.

And I'll test it on inside of my trash barrel!
[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I just picked up a can of plasti koat car color from my grandfather. He told me that several years back Jackson Center told him that it was the exact match to the AS paint. I just tried it and i can't tell the diff.

Just in case you want to pick some up the code is CC 9072

Chris
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Any store that mixes auto paint for the body shop trade can mix any color you want. Many can put it up in spray cans if you wish. They have the codes for all auto paints but if it happens they don't have the Airstream formulas they can still match it if you can bring in a specimen to put in their magic light box.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Any store that mixes auto paint for the body shop trade can mix any color you want. Many can put it up in spray cans if you wish. They have the codes for all auto paints but if it happens they don't have the Airstream formulas they can still match it if you can bring in a specimen to put in their magic light box.
Yes. I believe we got touch-up paint at Sherwin-Williams. If you have any body work done at a dealer, they may give you excess paint in a small can, which keeps much better than the little paint-brush bottles.

Maggie