Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerboy
Boatdoc...was wondering why did you use an epoxy ? and not a high quality ceramic house paint ?
Hi Rollerboy;
Ceramic paints have few drawbacks if applied on the Airstream. They are very hard. Skins flex and move with changing temps which requires flexibility and certain amount of stretch. They are designed to adhere to more subtle surfaces and specific grains. The most critical, is the eventually dulled by UV's surface. Also, waxes do not easily aadhere to the ceramic finishes.
On the other hand Epoxy has an excellent bonding Quality if the base is properly bonded to bare metal via Vinyl acid etching primer. Lighter colors are even more so UV resistant. Fresh epoxy paint should not be waxed for at least two months to allow the coating to evaporate certain components in the paint which were necessary to liquefy it for application. Last is the wanted shine of the surface and ease of cleaning off the road dust which epoxies easily shed. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey BD,

Nice to see you posting again. I can't believe how nice the Argy looks! And who would have thought it would get that way with a roller !

Ya learn sumpin' new ev'ry day! GREAT JOB and super choice of colors!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Boatdoc,

Again out of curiosity, who is the source for the plastic banana wraps?

Thanks,

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Boatdoc,

Again out of curiosity, who is the source for the plastic banana wraps?

Thanks,

Sergei
Hi Sergei; Airstrean stocks them. I got my through Out of Doors Mart. 866-636-2267 but Andy can supply you with them. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 09-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I’m obviously working too much in isolation up here north of the border.

Wondering if I could just paint my Argosy with a roller - while others were already doing it ………. My neighbor Vince helping tap out, fill and sand down my old banana wraps when all the while I could have bought new, smooth plastic ones ……..

Click image for larger version

Name:	vince.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	45911

……….. Just a couple of the several things I learned of too late or wish I’d done differently. ……….

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Great work Boat Doc. Your Argosy looks great.

There was a posting on one of the Chrysler sub forums a while back (hot rodders etc) where cars were done with roller and I believe in one case, the one the fellow had taken a ton of pictures to show, they happened to use Sherwin Williams automotive paint. After it was painted for about a week they did a final sand to get it all cleaned up. The one I saw they did the 67 or about that year Plymouth Satellite in the driveway so it had a few bugs and things in it. They did the light final sand of the paint with I believe 2,000 grit paper, then a real good final polish, and it looked extremely nice. As good as a mid-range paint job at a body shop for sure. I know of a fellow who did a '50 Ford F1 half ton and used the marine version of Sherwin Williams automotive paint, a roller, and when he was done it looked outstanding. That truck was a daily driver and used hard and the paint looked good for a long time, at least 10 years. I believe his total cost was under $300, but I also know the cost of paint has gone up quite a bit since then.

Barry
Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
I’m obviously working too much in isolation up here north of the border.

Wondering if I could just paint my Argosy with a roller - while others were already doing it ………. My neighbor Vince helping tap out, fill and sand down my old banana wraps when all the while I could have bought new, smooth plastic ones ……..

Attachment 45911

……….. Just a couple of the several things I learned of too late or wish I’d done differently. ……….

Sergei
Do not go on thinking you are alone in making mistakes. Everyone else has that privilege and so do I. "Boatdoc"
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
has the paint held up?
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Boatdoc hasnt posted since 2013, so he may not be active anymore. But it would be nice to know wouldnt it?

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I painted my popup (needed something to camp in while reengineering the argosy) last year. It's a 82 starcraft with aluminum skins. I used Ace galvanized and aluminum primer. Then used Ace Rust Stop oil based enamel with a hardener. I sprayed it but considered rolling it. It came out great. So much so I'm going to put a custom paint job on the argosy for less than $500!
Old 01-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
What hardener did you use? and what quantity/ratio?

I will be painting my argosy 24 with the (Canada) home hardware Rust Coat paint. it s made by rustoleum but the great thing is... it come in gloss base so you can costumize the color. I just finish rolling 2 test panels with a nice Subaru World rally blue and it s a very nice finish.

I use 50/50 paint/mineral spirit and it took 5 coat for full coverage with wet sanding between every 2 coat. It will be time consuming on a full trailer but you can get it done for 100$....
jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1452311308.047527.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	255339

16 oz paint
Thinned 25% or 4 oz mineral spirits
With 2 tbsp or 1 oz hardener

Valspar enamel hardener
Old 03-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Proctorville , Ohio
Very nice paint job I have 26 foot Argosy I'm thinking about painting the lower section metallic silver and off white upper. You have very nice rig. I'm so amazed the shape these unit continue to maintain. Extremely well built.
Brian67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #34

1974 Argosy 26
Hanford , California
Interior

I would love to see the interior, to get ideas. I am just starting to redo my ‘73 26’ Argosy. I have no clue how to do anything but I’m hopeful I can get as much advice and direction as anyone is willing to share. I’m on a very tight budget. Most of my budget is going to get the it completely rewired and the plumbing all checked out professionally.anyone know about solar and least expensive generator. I will try to do the interior( paint and decorate) paint lower exterior and polish the top.. all advice greatly appreciated.
Lilyglyn is offline   Reply With Quote