Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used a Krylon paint in a can to do my lower grey front and rear trim ( nr bumpers) It had been done with Dupont Centari grey which was a bit more metallic. The Krylon looked great for a year or so, and now is chipping a bit. It is easy enought o redo so i will recoat it after its sanded. I did not have a compressor, so I had to go the spray can route. I used bron painters paper to mask it really well, with that blue tape also.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I don't expect the canned Krylon to last for a long time; however, it's a great "quick fix" for the financially impaired. I have a compressor and a sprayer and you name it, BUT I'm also paint impaired. I do what I know I can do. I use what I know I won't mess up. That left me with a spray can and some sand paper. It looks pretty good. I'm glad to see someone else tried it too. Judy

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Originally Posted by Al1
Any suggestions on repainting my 73 24' Argosy. What is the best primer for aluminum and/or steel end caps? What is the best type of finish coat to use?
Rather ask now than make the same mestakes that maybe someone else has.

how about this Aircraft Finishing Systems from Stewarts Hangar 21, Inc.
It is the most flexable paint that I have ever seen
this stuff is like liquid plastic... I saw this quy at a local air show
His company restores airplanes and he's useing AIRCRAFT FINISHING SYSTEMS Waterborne two part polyurethane topcoat this stuff works on just about any surface even works on fabric that they stretch over wing frames on experimental planes... the had some fabric samples that you could fold up and crush into a ball in your hand this paint did not crack or peal from the fabric...I could not believe the elasticity... I'm going to use this product because its easy to apply It requires no special paint booth... no harmful chemicals... and I cant see this stuff ever chipping or peeling ...

They have over 50 colors on their color chart... you can find information on
Life's short...take your kid camping
gotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
I am buying a 1979 28' Argosy, The Whole thing should be repainted...How much should I have to pay and What should I use for it...Currently it is white with the orange yellow stripes on the side with badly painted end caps. Please help. Thank you.
JeffTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy paint

Greetings Jeff Terry!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Originally Posted by JeffTerry
I am buying a 1979 28' Argosy, The Whole thing should be repainted...How much should I have to pay and What should I use for it...Currently it is white with the orange yellow stripes on the side with badly painted end caps. Please help. Thank you.
For a professional repaint including all preparation and quality materials, my price quotes ranged from a low of $150 per linear foot to $195 per linear foot -- take measurement of coach from edge of bumper to tip of tongue and multiply. For my Minuet, the cost ranged from $2,900 to $3,800 -- about the same as having a similar sized Airstream professionally polished and Plasticoated, but a paint job typically lasts several times as long as the Plasticoat.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Help! Argosy 1979 paint color no longer made!

Airstream sent me this info: The 1979 Argosy TT used Reliance paint. The Airstream part no. is 365048. The Reliance part no. was 1799-0058 Alpine White.

Dupont is working on it. Duplicolor says they don't know. Can't find Reliance paint company. Is it out of business? Any ideas would be great! THANKS, Deb

THANKS a bunch! OBX Deb
outerbanksdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, the paint has made it through another very hot summer in Oklahoma. This is just the Krylon spray paint that I thought may be a quick fix and it's held up wonderfully. Anyone who can't spend the $3,000.00 plus for the great paint job might consider the same quick fix I did. Twink looks great down at the lake and he's sure fun to camp in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	26136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	26137  

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Torn between Champange vs Original Beige!

Before winter sets in up here in Canada (Alberta no less) I'm setting about repainting the exterior of my Argy. Another buddy (we can all use buddies, eh?) is a painter and is going to help me use his air compressor and sprayer. The shed is only available until frost up, so I'm on a tight schedule.

The only problem is...color!

Every night I go to bed completely satisfied that Champange is the color (think of a 2004 Toyota Corolla or a 2005 GMC truck). It's the color of a lot of new motorhomes too, and looks really sharp. Yup, I think, go with the updated look!

But then something happens overnight, and when I wake up, I'm completely convinced to stick with the original Light Beige! And for most of the day my mind is clearly set on the classic color. Yup, I say, the interior is modern, but the exterior is 100% retro.

But when the sun goes down...(and these days...when the sun goes down, it stays down for longer and longer! Plus the geese are heading south! Yikes!) is dark out...and I am thinking to go with Champagne!

Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote