Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2006, 08:20 AM   #1

1976 28' Argosy 28
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Argosy Exterior Restoration

Hi out there - I just bought a 76 Argosy 28' in good condition but the exterior is a little tired. I see a lot of email about restoring the silver ones but I don't see anything on how to spruce up the exterior of the cream ones. I do not want to strip it to silver, just want to restore the finish in places where it's worn (e.g. around some of the rivets) and shine it up. Is it paint ? If so what kind of touch up paint should I use ? How about wax - any recommendations? I can't wait to get my twinkie shiny and new again. THANKS in advance.
Liisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy Exterior Restoration

Greetings Liisa!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisa
Hi out there - I just bought a 76 Argosy 28' in good condition but the exterior is a little tired. I see a lot of email about restoring the silver ones but I don't see anything on how to spruce up the exterior of the cream ones. I do not want to strip it to silver, just want to restore the finish in places where it's worn (e.g. around some of the rivets) and shine it up. Is it paint ? If so what kind of touch up paint should I use ? How about wax - any recommendations? I can't wait to get my twinkie shiny and new again. THANKS in advance.
The Argosy coaches started from the factory with an automotive enamel finish. The actual shade and formulation of the paint varied a bit over the years. If you click on the Forums search button and search for Paint Codes, you will find two or three Argosy threads dealing with the paint codes for the cream color as well as the dark brown utilized on the banana wraps and frame components.

Essentially appearance care on an Argosy is little different from what you would do with an automobile from the same time period. Waxes and polishes that would be acceptable for an automobile will also work with the Argosy. One thing that needs to be monitored is the condition of the paint coating on the domes -- they are made from stress-formed galvanized steel and rust/corrosion prevention is an on-going concern.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote