Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Argosy End Cap paint 2013 ?

I need current advice. The paint that Boadoc used is discontinued in one case and changed to include silicone in another.
I am looking for an epoxy paint and primer that I can roll on like Boadoc did. I don't have a spray gun or compressor.
The end caps are galvanized, with a few rust spots

Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

More research

I found a marine paint that might work for my galvanized Argosy end plates. But Interlux says that is an anti fouling paint. Would that be good or bad on an Argosy?????

Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
I'll be watching this thread, since il Progetto is eventually going to need a paintjob...

Il Carriaggio — 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I did a test on the front end cap

I couldn't live with the rust spots, on the end caps. I found a Sherwin Williams marine/pro industrial paint called DTM. The primer is epoxy. The finish coat is acrylic, and can be used without primer. NO hydrocarbons can be used to clean the surface if you are just using the finish coat, so I sanded the old paint(S) off. I was devastated during and after the first coat, as the paint didn't seem to cover, and big brown spots appeared out of nowhere. BUT....after the second coat onlookers started admiring the results. NOW... the big wait to see how it holds up.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

As far as the rear end cap.......

I am going to use the epoxy primer for the rear, so that I can use stripper to remove the old paint. Sanding one end cap was a two day exercise using 80 grit and a palm sander. I forgot to mention that I applied the paint with a roller.
I did not end up with the black surface as others had, and no hint of a black layer. I was thinking that the black may have been a rust inhibitor.
I used white Tremco caulking on the seams where needed.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

About my choices.......

For financial reasons, convenience, and so I would never be without my trailer, or have to trust my trailer out to a stranger...I decided to keep this a DIY project. I wanted to be able to touch up a section or just a spot as needed. Yeah it won't look like an auto body shop paint job. But so far, it's white, clean, shiny, glossy, and good enough for me. Time will tell if I made a huge mistake by not using primer on the front end cap.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

About going down to bare metal....

I was tempted to leave some of the old, still sound, paint on. I decided to get a totally smooth surface so I took all of the paint off. Guess what, there was rust underneath sound paint.
Another mistake that I might have made......Where there was rust, I sanded down to shiny metal. I did leave some small grey spots, as it would have taken a week to get the entire end cap totally shiny. I only had a weekend, and needed the camper for a 12 day job at a Bluegrass festival
Old 06-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

about cleaning up around the rivets....

I would NOT use a power sander near the rivets. I think they are aluminum. They don't rust, and will sand down to nothing in a heartbeat. I used a dull putty knife and hand sanded around the rivets. It looks great.
As an after thought, I was wondering if I should have caulked around the rivets. I am new at this kind of thing.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Dave: I am sorry for not visiting this site for long time and missing your plea for advice. My health issues since the motorcycle accident two years ago at most times take the priority. Last year we were camping four times, this year only once. But, let me get to your rescue. What you need to buy is Pettit Paint, Rustlock Steel primer # 6980. Quart retails for $52.67. It is a moisture and corrosion proof primer for use on all cast Iron and steel surfaces including galvanized and Stainless Steel. Has excellent adhesion and corrosion qualities ever over rusted surfaces. Any Pettit dealer can get it if they do not stock it. Good luck Dave, and again sorry for my absence on the Forums. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

The doctor is in the house....

Hi Boatdoc, so sorry to hear about your health troubles. Thanks so much for your guidance. My mother told me that it wasn't so important to be smart, it is important to know who is smart. Thanks again for being smart. Dave