Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Spent several hours today with the porter cable orbital, a red pad, a bag of yellow Costco micro fiber towels, and Griots one step sealant. Went on super easy and came off quickly too. Took my time to get the tops, and behind the rock guards. Trailer looks great and I feel tons better knowing she's ready to brave her first winter outdoors.
Heck yeah!!

I'll try the sealer for first couple years then perhaps the one step

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Best way to clean the polish pad after using the paint sealant?? I tried some dawn and warm water - not cutting it I think....

Old 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #43
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Best way to clean the polish pad after using the paint sealant?? I tried some dawn and warm water - not cutting it I think....
I was told by someone who does this for a living (detailing cars) to use a clean micro fiber cloth and hold it (folded up) against the pad as it spins. He recommended doing this after each section is polished. I use this technique and it works fine.

Good luck.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'll give it a....whirl....yeah I said that

Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm lucky I guess, I inherited my own washer & dryer after the DW's upgrade.

I rinse the pad's in warm water, (full wash cycle), & wash MF cloths separately, Arm & Hammer soap, hang dry.
Prior, to the machines I just rinsed really well and stored in zip-lock bags after dry. Spray water on pad before next use.
Most important....never cross-use. If you try something new use a different color pad, or as I did, label with a magic marker on the white backing of a new red pad.
Seven years, still using my original red pads. (3 still unopened)

Do not seal a 'dirty' trailer....

I wouldn't 'clean' the pad until I was finished...the point of using a foam pad is how well it holds the product, cleaning while doing just wastes product IMO.
16 OZ of Griot's Sealant has done 3-4 applications on our 25....use sparingly.

Bob
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
A way to give Griot's more money.
Griot's Garage Video: Micro Fiber & Foam Pad Cleaner

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is my understanding sealants are a pure synthetic product, and the wax formulas contain natural wax. There is no point in applying wax over pure synthetic sealant, unless perhaps you feel it gives even more shine.

The problem may be once a wax formula is put on, it prevents a future application of synthetic sealant from "bonding" to the clear coat.

And sealant may be too good of a description for the synthetic products. Airstreams of the last 15 years are produced by taking pre-coated panels from Alcoa Aluminum, cutting them to shape the shell, then punching 1500 rivet holes to assembly them.

These cut or punched holes are not protected by clear coat paint. Wax or sealant is not formulated to protect them for long either, if at all.

Everyone will have their favorite product, and it will change from time to time. Airstream is presently recommending Glare synthetic sealant and we use it. They specifically state any other product must be completely removed before application, and other products may state the same, because of the need to "bond" to the clear coat paint.

One application of sealant (Glare) per year seems to do it, windows, plastics, window rock guard included. Microfiber cloths work great to apply and polish. We follow with a corrosion preventive, CorrosionX for us, on the unpolished edges and rivets, as well as fittings such as hinges and light assemblies and reapply corrosion protection at least quarterly, depending on what environment the Airstream has been exposed to.

Wax over sealant may be a waste of time, and may be counterproductive. That's fodder for debate, but not intended. I would recommend adding a corrosion preventive product for the unpainted edges to your protection plan.

Most good ($) products will do a good job, keep it simple and on a regular schedule to ensure good Airstream protection. Ours is now at 2 1/2 years with no corrosion anywhere. Our previous Airstream was two years old on dealers lot unprotected until we bought it, and it already had considerable corrosion.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I only have plans for paint sealer - no wax - corrosion x to be applied soon- last to
E I tried to order from amazon they were out of stock

I cleaned the trailer - hand dried - then applied sealant

Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Geek, my man-
You wanna do my trailer?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Most paint sealants are silicon based products.(Yes doug silicon does displace water)But Corrosion X is still a good thing to apply regularly also.Silicon is considered a polymer so most companies advertise their products a polymer or micro polymer because it sounds cooler than silicon and sells more product.There are alot of decent products out there Mcguires,Griots Etc.
A good quality wax will last a couple of months paint sealant 6-8 mos.
You can wax over paint sealant.You can also use paint sealant over wax as long as its been 45-60 days since you waxed the last time.The big mistake that people make is washing their car or Airstream with dish washing soap.This will remove most of the wax or paint sealant that is on the surface because of the grease dissolving ingrediants.It is really to harsh for todays clear coated finishes.A good quality automobile liquid soap is the preference.A good grade of Carnuba will have a better shine then a paint sealant but does not last as long.How you put either on is up to you wipe on wipe off or wipe on buff off.The end result will be the same.If you are not experienced with buffer you should shy away from buffing.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #51
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

......snip...."The big mistake that people make is washing their car or Airstream with dish washing soap.This will remove most of the wax or paint sealant that is on the surface because of the grease dissolving ingredients."

.... whacked that rivet Mo....

This Spring is the odd year, it will be wash, clay bar, seal, touch-up.. with spray wax and or detail spray.
Even years, drop the clay bar.
The sealer I use is compatible with all wax made by the same mfg.

And NO dish soap...

Bob
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just today finished - washed yesterday - finished half the sealant - applied with random orbital in setting 2 - did small areas by hand

Applied boeshield T9 on underbelly - corrosion x is on order

Oh and washed and lubed up the wheels with a griots product - took a tiny amount out of that 16 oz bottle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1023961471.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	200460  

Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
I just today finished - washed yesterday - finished half the sealant - applied with random orbital in setting 2 - did small areas by hand

Applied boeshield T9 on underbelly - corrosion x is on order

Oh and washed and lubed up the wheels with a griots product - took a tiny amount out of that 16 oz bottle

Looks good! Dont forget to re-torque your lugnuts.
It is always a good idea on a new vehicle or trailer.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Erry time I come around you city
Bling bling
Pinky rink wort about fitty
Bling bling
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #55
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
When you do the T-9 what specifically are you applying it to on the bottom of the trailer?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I actually do need to recheck torque - my dad just came through and gave me a torque wrench - remind me of the proper torque?

I applied the t9 liberally underneath - not so much on dead center regions of aluminum - but on seems - I put it on stabilizer jacks.

Is there something down there I should not apply it to?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

I do mine 60 then 110...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lug-nut-order.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	200464  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Your lug nuts should still have the red marks from the factory to see if they have backed off- unless you have already scrubbed them off...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #59
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Nice discussion, folks. Since our '73 lives outside and the clearcoat is having issues on the top and back, I'm going to have try this stuff and see if I can clean it up some.

After all, the shiniest trailers get all the attention at the campground.

Thanks again everybody.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #60
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Geek I don't know that's why I asked as I get closer to purchase. Read about T-9 and CorrosionX on the forums. But never exactly where folks are using T-9 on the bottom? Coating the axles, the entire bottom, jacks, anything not to coat???
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote