Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portola , California
Airstream nameplate

Has anyone used the metal reproduction Airstream nameplates, originally used in the 1960's I believe, to replace peeling "Airstream" decals used on some late model trailers? I understand the quality of these reproductions is quite good, and it would seem that they would be a more permanent solution than redoing decals. Of course, in the strictest resortation sense, they would not be "correct." Perhaps there is another, and better, solution to the problem of deteriorating or peeling decals. I am interested in the thoughts of others who are more knowlegable on exterior restoration than I.

George
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
Has anyone used the metal reproduction Airstream nameplates, originally used in the 1960's I believe, to replace peeling "Airstream" decals used on some late model trailers? I understand the quality of these reproductions is quite good, and it would seem that they would be a more permanent solution than redoing decals. Of course, in the strictest resortation sense, they would not be "correct." Perhaps there is another, and better, solution to the problem of deteriorating or peeling decals. I am interested in the thoughts of others who are more knowlegable on exterior restoration than I.

George
If you are referring to the AIRSTREAM nameplate (blue paint on metal) from the front/rear of the trailer, replacements are available. Maybe through Vintage Trailer Supply.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Portola , California
I had known that these reproductions were available. I am curious to know what knowlegable restorers would think of using these on a late model Airstream, because as I said, they would not really be correct, because these are reproductions of the nameplates used back in the 1960's. I think Airstreams idea of using decals, instead of a quality metal nameplate, was a very poor one. And I am certain that I am not the only one who has had to find a solution to peeling decals. I am not inclined to replace a decal with another decal.

George
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
I had known that these reproductions were available. I am curious to know what knowlegable restorers would think of using these on a late model Airstream, because as I said, they would not really be correct, because these are reproductions of the nameplates used back in the 1960's. I think Airstreams idea of using decals, instead of a quality metal nameplate, was a very poor one. And I am certain that I am not the only one who has had to find a solution to peeling decals. I am not inclined to replace a decal with another decal.

George
We have the Airstream name plates, that we obtain from Airstream.

They are originals, not reproductions.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
George,
I get what you're saying. No, in the strict sense you would not be restoring your late model trailer to "original" status with a 60's style nameplate. However, it would certainly be a more permanent solution than the sticker letters you're talking about. There were metal (or more likely plastic) versions of those letters used for a while as well, spaced out and individually stuck on - in the 80's, maybe? (My knowledge of Airstream specifics after '67 is pretty vague.)

So that'd be another way to go, that would look closer to what you originally had but still more of a semi-permanent solution. The best solution will always be a riveted on piece of aluminum, obviously.

Stylistically it would be a unique look, and may look pretty good!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Name plate

This is the original name plate.

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/imag...rstream-b2.jpg

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The Airstream Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
George,
There were metal (or more likely plastic) versions of those letters used for a while as well, spaced out and individually stuck on - in the 80's, maybe?

Stylistically it would be a unique look, and may look pretty good!
The letters were pot metal, not plastic and were used in the 70s. I don't know about 80s.

If you want to, and I don't know that you would, you can rearrange those metal letters to spell I ARE SMART.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Portola , California
Andy: Thank you for posting the pics. Somehow I had gotten it into my mind that the available plates were reproductions. Thanks for the correction.

George
Old 04-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Number one is from Inland RV and doesn't have the curvy leg on the "R's". I don't know if the background blue field is etched which makes the letters slightly protrude from the background.

Number two (the single plate) is from Vintage Trailer Supply and is etched, has curvy "R's" but does not have etched out areas for the rivets.

Number three (before and after) are plates from my 65 Caravel. The top one was buck riveted to the back of the trailer. I took it off, polished it, masked the letters and painted it. The lower plate is still on the front of the trailer awaiting refurbishment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inland plate.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	78148   Click image for larger version

Name:	VTS-nameplate.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	78150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	My plate.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	78151  
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Excellent demo, Sheridan!
Yes, I too noticed that the plaques Airstream is providing to Andy use the wrong font for the "R".

It's a tiny detail, but it drove me nuts - especially when I looked at the restored Bambi at MOMA and they too have the straight-legged R version. Oh well.

Looking at them side by side, I can also immediately see that Andy's example (Airstream's own reproductions) also have a lot more breathing room between the letters, meaning each letter must be printed a bit smaller, as well.

Finally, the tails of the "S" in your restored original end in a horizontal line, whereas Airstream's reproductions do not.

Guess you can't fool a bunch of people who spend all their free time poring over the myriad differences between different kinds of rivet heads.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Nice call, bredlo.
I never really noticed the "S" difference but now that I'm really scrutinizing these plates, I also see a difference in the bottom leg of the "E" (Andy's is a little shorter).

For some people the "Art" is in the details.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The letters were pot metal, not plastic and were used in the 70s. I don't know about 80s.

If you want to, and I don't know that you would, you can rearrange those metal letters to spell I ARE SMART.
I love it Sounds like something fun that i could do.... I seen you post this in another thread and what did I do.....went out to my storage shed, dug out the letters that I took off the front of my A/S and spelled it out. If I didn't have to drill new holes for the lettering, I would be willing to do it!!!!

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
https://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote