Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Courtenay , British Columbia
2015 25FB Clear Coat Scratches

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2015 25FB trailer which is in near perfect shape except for the scratches in the clear coat on two of the three upper front panels above the panoramic windows. The previous owner "inadvertently" cleaned bugs off the panels using a plastic "non-abrasive" scrub pad. I had the scratches evaluated by an Airstream dealer and they recommended replacing the panels. While I conveniently doubt the scratches are deep enough to reach the aluminum, I am not sure what to do. Help please!!
Richard
King3785101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Have some one else look at it. I would think it could be re refinished. If it truly does need to have the panels replaced I would try a light wet sanding and paint with a clear coat in a spray can. If it doesn't work then have the panels replaced. Nothing to loose.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I woud polish the scratches lightly with an automotive scratch remover product for appearances sake, then rub on a couple applications of CorrosionX corrosion preventive treatment, then apply a high quality automotive polish. I would reapply the CorrosionX to the area a couple of times a year, and before each trip to a corrosive environment such as near the ocean, followed by the automotive polish.

The idea is to keep a protective coating over any openings in the clear coat the scrub pad may have produced. Otherwise the panel scratches are likely to develop filiform corrosion when ocean or road salts come in contact with any bare aluminum.

The same is also true of the Airstream's panel edges and holes under the panel rivets. They are also exposed metal and need protection in corrosive environments, so as long as you got the stuff handy, you might as well protect all the exposed metal on the trailer. The Airstream dealer probably did not mention these areas.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote