Today I tried the paint stripper method that Tadd suggested and it worked great. I went to Lowe's but couldn't find Glasco. However, I did find Jasco though and I'm assuming that Glasco was a typo (could be wrong but Jasco is working for me). It works really well. I've posted a time-lapse video
of the small section near the front of the AS on the streetside where the raised logo is so you can see it work in case you're insterested. I first removed the logo by drilling out 4 or 5 rivets and then cleaned the surface - we've had a lot of pollen this year and our, yet to be named, AS is covered. After cleaning it off I scored around the edge of the beltline with a razor to make the decal removal easier. I think the decal is actually underlaps the beltline rails but I'm not taking them off so scoring at the edge makes removing the goopy decal easier. The instructions on the Jasco paint stripper say to leave it on for 15 minutes and then scrape off but depending on how cooked your decal is you can go much quicker than that. I think I left it on for about 15 minutes though - reapplying approx every 5 minutes to areas that didn't seem to be bubbling up very well. My decal is really baked on so I figured the more time the better. Once it looks ready I used a plastic paint scrapper to remove the decal. It just comes off in a goopy mess. There's quite a bit of adhesive still on the skin but I just kept scraping and then used a brass brush and a bit of sandpaper to remove the final bits of residue. Probably overkill but I'm not sure how long it's going to be before I'm able to put a new decal in so I wanted it to look as clean as possible.
Thank you to everyone that made suggestions. I'm having a blast with my first AS fixer-upper!!