Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
mukluk25's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
1967 Overlander beltline

Hello, can anyone show or tell me what the beltline looked like on my trailer originally? I have removed the trim for polishing and am ready to put it back on. Does the beltline just go back on with blue painted rivets? Was the center painted? I am pretty sure that there is not supposed to be a rubber insert for 1967. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
__________________

__________________
mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
kevinb's Avatar
 
1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 404
go to vintageairstream.com you will find pics that will help you

Kevin

no rubber insert on my 68
__________________

__________________
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,790
I paint the inside of our trim on the 67. Get yourself some brush-on (not spray-on) oil paint. The color matches Krylon Blue spray. Then grab a small brush and a good, clean rag. Paint into the depressed area in the middle; wipe off excess from the raised rib.

I've been preparing a bunch of rivets for reinstallation of our trim, which I've pre-painted using the method above. Drilled a bunch of slightly oversized holes into a short piece of 2X4, filled with a bunch of rivets, and sprayed with Krylon Blue. I'm not entirely sure that the painted rivets won't lose a small amount of paint when I use them in the rivet gun down the road, but at least it'll be less touch-up than using unpainted rivets, I think.


Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
AIRFORUMS # 005
 
ALANSD's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
North , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,032
Send a message via Yahoo to ALANSD
where do you have a beltline on yours? My 66 has only a small strip around near the bottom.
__________________
1966 Overlander & Chevrolet Trailblazer
Please visit our blog:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,790
Our 67 has two connected strips running from the rear to several feet behind the door, and a larger strip running around the front and most of the rear. Pic attached.

Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
AIRFORUMS # 005
 
ALANSD's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
North , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,032
Send a message via Yahoo to ALANSD
Must be an International model. Mine does not have that upper one only the lower. Looks nice though. You could buy vinyl striping and put that in there, I have doen my lower one with black and red. ( Go UGA Dawgs)
__________________
1966 Overlander & Chevrolet Trailblazer
Please visit our blog:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
mukluk25's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Beltline location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
where do you have a beltline on yours? My 66 has only a small strip around near the bottom.
Here's my un-restored beltline.
__________________
mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
mukluk25's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Krylon blue spray

Thanks Lynn, do you have the specific Krylon blue to match? It seems they have a lot of blues. The one that looks closest to me is their True Blue? Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I paint the inside of our trim on the 67. Get yourself some brush-on (not spray-on) oil paint. The color matches Krylon Blue spray. Then grab a small brush and a good, clean rag. Paint into the depressed area in the middle; wipe off excess from the raised rib.

I've been preparing a bunch of rivets for reinstallation of our trim, which I've pre-painted using the method above. Drilled a bunch of slightly oversized holes into a short piece of 2X4, filled with a bunch of rivets, and sprayed with Krylon Blue. I'm not entirely sure that the painted rivets won't lose a small amount of paint when I use them in the rivet gun down the road, but at least it'll be less touch-up than using unpainted rivets, I think.


Lynn
__________________
mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,790
Ok, I just ran out and checked. It's Krylon Gloss True Blue.

Lynn


Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk25 View Post
Thanks Lynn, do you have the specific Krylon blue to match? It seems they have a lot of blues. The one that looks closest to me is their True Blue? Steve
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
mukluk25's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
How to straighten beltline

Thanks everyone for your help. This part of the project is coming along well. Does anyone have a good way to straighten the beltline back out? I assume it wasnt glued originally ('67 Overlander). It has a few areas where it is bent a little bit and not flush to the body. Is gluing a no no (I spent the good part of a day getting silicone off of the body from the previous owner) The beltline is off the the trailer should I just try to manipulate it by hand? Thanks
__________________
mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,790
Is it bent such that parts of it stand out from the rig (or in)? Or is the bent part along the lenth of the piece so that it's not straight from front to back?

Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
mukluk25's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk25 View Post
Hello, can anyone show or tell me what the beltline looked like on my trailer originally? I have removed the trim for polishing and am ready to put it back on. Does the beltline just go back on with blue painted rivets? Was the center painted? I am pretty sure that there is not supposed to be a rubber insert for 1967. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Is it bent such that parts of it stand out from the rig (or in)? Or is the bent part along the lenth of the piece so that it's not straight from front to back?

Lynn
It's bent such that it is not flush with the body of the airstream. In other words it bows out from the body. It is straight front to back.
__________________
mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,790
Humm. I had a slight bend in ours. I placed it on a clean, long piece of cardboard over a clean, flat concrete floor and used a rubber mallet. Hit it gently along (more than) the length of the bent area. It'll take many hits, all very, very gentle.

Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
mukluk25's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Carbondale , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Humm. I had a slight bend in ours. I placed it on a clean, long piece of cardboard over a clean, flat concrete floor and used a rubber mallet. Hit it gently along (more than) the length of the bent area. It'll take many hits, all very, very gentle.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn, I cannot lie it on the ground because the rear ends curve quite a bit. Maybe I need to build a long table and let the tail end hang off, then try your technique. Thanks for the help. Steve
__________________

__________________
mukluk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Airstream Classifieds



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.

Airstream News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Airstream news in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]