Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
16" Wheels - Filiform Corrosion

I upgraded to the 16" wheels/Michelin tires during Alumapalooza last year. Was checking tires today in preparation for leaving a CG in S TX where I've been the last 3 months and discovered that at least 3 of my wheels already have corrosion. Both of the curb side wheels have lots of corrosion and one of the street side has a small amount. So far I haven't found any on the other street side wheel and have not checked the spare yet. Will be in a better position to do a more thorough examination next week. Sorry I cannot provide any pictures as I'm the last person in the world that doesn't have a digital camera.

Would suggest that anyone who upgraded to to these wheels check them ASAP. The wheels I have are the ones that are like the Eddie Bauer wheels without the black trim. If you have a EB it would probably be a good idea for you to check your wheels also.

I will be in Jackson Center in May to get some other work done and this will be brought up. Not sure what Airstream will do - if anything - but if this turns out to be a widespread problem we might be able to get replacements from the mfg. Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has this problem.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If less than a yr old they may replace. I know new cars and trucks wheels have been replaced in the 3yr warranty.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Check your position lights; I've suddenly got corrosion peeking out from behind several of them. I'll be at JC a few weeks after you, Al, and be assured, they will correct it, one way or another.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Check your position lights; I've suddenly got corrosion peeking out from behind several of them. I'll be at JC a few weeks after you, Al, and be assured, they will correct it, one way or another.
My advice is don't bet on it. The Airstream attitude towards cosmetic problems is too bad. I and a lot of others have been thru this before and there are a number of threads here on this subject. And now that you mention it I also have a spot at the end of one of my marker lights - the one on the curb side rear. Have been regularly using T9 on it but still seems to be gradually growing.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Al - K4GLU, try treating the filiform with CorrosionX rather than Boeshield T9. On my 2007 Safari it seemed the T9 was better to leave a protective surface of paraffin wax, but the CorrosionX did a better job of penetrating the filiform and stopping their growth.

I like T9 on the underbody surfaces, but frequent CorrosionX applications on the shell and wheels. More often if exposed to wet or corrosive conditions.

I don't think its doing much good to wax the trailer without applying these products. The surfaces the wax protects is, for the most part, already protected by factory clear coat. You need to get this stuff in there where the edges are, such as under position lights and along seams.

doug k
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
My experience is that they correct defects within the warranty period; my advice is to politely and assertively, let them know what you expect.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
My experience is that they correct defects within the warranty period; my advice is to politely and assertively, let them know what you expect.
I've had extensive experience with Airstream - I've owned 3 new ones and had some corrosion problems with all 3. Airstream does not consider cosmetic issues - including filiform corrosion - to be covered by the warranty. And the only way to correct the problem you have would be to replace the affected panels. You can politely and assertively tell them what you expect but they will tell you what you're going to get.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When my original wheels started looking bad, they told me the wheel distributor's warranty was one year. Mine were more than that, though they made me a deal on new wheels. They did not replace the OEM wheels for free.

When Bob Wheeler was responding to corrosion complaints a couple of years ago, he said to contact him if you have a problem. That was about the trailer body, but you could try it.

Gene
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Al,

It has been a long time since we last saw one another, hope all is well. For those of you who don't know him, Al is the King of Filiform Corrosion, and has had bad luck with wheels and trailers alike. This is one reason I really don't want to buy a new trailer, there is too much prevalence of this corrosion.

Al, I hope you get this problem resolved, and maybe you can get wheels traded out!

Steve
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Hobe Sound , Florida
We had the corrosion problem on our 2002 Classic and have it on our 06 Classic, which we bought new. We are just now noticing the corrosion on 3 wheels - bummer.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Having had a little experience with Airstream myself (7 new ones), I've been pleased with the treatment I've received from the factory, as well as my dealer.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We got Lucy a set of the 16" wheels at Jackson Center in November 0f 2010. So far there is no evidence of any corrosion on Lucy's new wheels.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

No filiform on ours...they are not clearcoated. Thank Wally for small favors.

Just polish every Spring when I re-install them.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS STUFF 012.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	152834  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No filiform on ours...they are not clearcoated. Thank Wally for small favors.

Just polish every Spring when I re-install them.

Bob
Bob, can you share details on your wheels. Where did you buy, model #, etc...?