Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
You'll Never Walk Alone

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
In my neighborhood!

I just recently bought a vintage Airstream to restore (1955 overlander) and I thought I was probably the only person in my neighborhood that was into old trailers especially Airstream's. But no, something weird is going on. I found two more within a few blocks and an old StreamLine trailer all this happened this spring none were hear last year.
What is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	155319   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	155320  

Name:	3a.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	155321   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	155322  

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
It's a plague!

Heya B Boult, apparently the plague of Aluminitis has reached your neck of the woods. Happily there is no cure. You are going to have lots of rehab buddies strolling by, maybe you can rope some into helping! Good luck with the project, your baby looks fine!
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
VVVVVVVery nice trailer!!!
Have a fun time restoring it!!!
Remember hard work never hurts anyone ,who reaches
their goal!!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
So, how's that restoration progressing?
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
You'll Never Walk Alone

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kelowna , British Columbia
split between city and country work

restoration is slow. The Airstream is at a property I part own and I only get there, if lucky a few days each week. Just got back. It was cold and snowing and dark by 4:00. But hopefully I will be there more in the new year.
In my head I see progress, the reality is based upon how things were constructed back then. So upgrading while retaining a vintage look without being to kitsch based upon our perceptions of 1955 design and nostalgia is a challenge. I think when I am done the Airstream will look as if it was just a result of the times and not a result of perceived nostalgia and kitsch.
I also want to recycle as much as I can. I found some incredible aluminum tent poles for $3.50 at a thrift store recently and then found vintage awning material at another. So now I am almost finished constructing an 18' x 10' awning (to shelter from the sun more than a rain cover) all for $50- so far. I just need to construct a bead for the C channel which is not to hard and I will be under $100- for my awning. I like that it is old awning fabric and not to brightly coloured (green & mustard yellow stripe). I also know how to construct and sew all this stuff and build everything else too so I will get there. I work in the city reconditioning some small things (Airstream signage, awnings, lighting...) and then out at the farm on the actual Airstream (floor, insulation, welding...).
Takes time doing it all myself but if I can design and build a house, I can do this. I will bring in help when I need it. But I have learned that others like the idea of an Airstream but are not as fanatical as I am so I try to minimize talking about it or I just come across sounding like an over excited "Airstream Geek" that has drank one too many coffees that day.
Cheers!

PS: images are of signage I am working on and material for awning. The Okanagan signs are from remnants of a sticker that is on the Airstream. I reconstructed it and gave it some colors I imagined it might have been.

Excuse the odd angle for the awning material image.

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	628.6 KB
ID:	174749
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-16 at 2.33.09 PM.png
Views:	175
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	174750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-16 at 2.33.20 PM.png
Views:	188
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	174751  

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 4.51.32 PM.png
Views:	208
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	174752  
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
You've done some good solid work so far! It's easy to despair lack of time, immensity of the job, limit on access, etc. Don't give up. We all want to see you succeed. Keep us informed of each little gain.
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Awesome trailers!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote