Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #1121
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Gene - I don't know what it is you are taking but I gotta get me some of that stuff.
Fireweed. Every time I saw that stuff in Alaska and Yukon, I just had to stop and munch on some. That's how Muncho Lake in northern BC got its name. Early prospectors, when they couldn't get a good gold claim, found the miners were made much happier during the long, cold, dark winters if they munched on fireweed. These entrepreneurs brought in bundles of fireweed and ended up with all the gold, but the prospectors were happy anyway. This later grew into one of BC's biggest exports, but late 20th century entrepreneurs found another weed to satisfy American and Canadian tastes.

Gene

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #1122
Certifiable

. , .
Airstream began with a single man and a most singular dream. The man was Wally Byam: his dream, to build the perfect travel trailer. One that would move like a stream of air. One that would be light enough to be towed by a standard automobile. One that would provide first-class living accommodations anywhere in the world.

Inspired by the flying monkeys in the 1939 musical fantasy film, The Wizard of Oz, Wally Byam headed out to rural Kansas to try to capture and study a few of these magical creatures. Unfortunately, the evil connotation which was now unfairly associated with these marvelous beasts brought them to the brink of extinction due to extreme over-hunting. And after many weeks of scanning the Kansas sky, sources say that Wally never did see a flying monkey up close. The 1940 Flying Monkey project was thus scrapped. The Flying Cloud, however, would be introduced some years later.

1941 was another big year in the company's history, and once again, Hollywood and Kansas where at the epicenter. Wally's good friend Walt Disney had fallen on hard times. He desperately needed an idea for a comeback film. Wally managed to convince Walt to go back to Kansas with him to try to find the elusive flying monkey. He figured Walt would surely see the intrinsic bravery and resourcefulness these noble animals possessed and that he would be able to make a documentary reclaiming their legacy.

1941, however, was also one of the worst years for tornados, especially in Kansas. Wally and Walt never did see their flying monkey that year. Deer, on the other hand, especially young does, were flying everywhere. "Does," Wally was heard to exclaim wistfully, "move like a stream of air!"

Apparently, due to the extreme over-hunting of the flying monkey, the deer population had exploded exponentially. Undeterred, these two pioneers joined forces and played the hand they were dealt. Armed with only a few bushels of fireweed and some graham crackers (nitrous oxide and cookies would be used some years later), Wally and Walt convinced a number of young does to come back to California with them.

The once humble documentary soon evolved into an epic film about bravery and the great outdoors: Bambi, the film, was thus created. Released in 1942, during World War II, the film lost money at the box office for its first release, but recouped its considerable cost during the 1947 re-release. Interestingly, May of 1947 was also when Airstream's production resumed at the Los Angeles Metro Airport in Van Nuys and when the first Airstream Bambi hit the road....

And with it was born yet another dream, a dream of new freedom, new places, new experiences, and new friendships. It was a dream so powerful, so enduring it did far more than create a new way of travel; it created a new way of life shared by thousands upon thousands of families.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #1123
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
No no no guys. Safari is not talking about venison here. Safari is talking about
"Doe People", and not "Doe Deer". "Doe People" wear their pants down around
their butt. See, says it right here on the internet, the temple of knowledge.
WikiAnswers - Doe People
A little cleavage helps up front, why not in the back too? Plumbers and
electricians should not be allowed to be Doe People, in my opinion. Otherwise
Doe People are ok by me.

Now, whether Doe People make or buy their kites, I don't know, but their attire
certainly improves the odds of having wind. Well, I have to get up at the crack of dawn.
See you all later.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #1124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thank you Mistral for clarifying some of the lost history of Wally Byam and Airstream. Often while reading histories of him and the company I find strange contradictions, but your rendition certainly strikes me as fact driven and responsible.

Duh people and doe people are easily confused, especially under the influence of fireweed or any other weed. It is to be noted that during WW II when production of hemp for rope for the war effort was encouraged, some seeds fell off the trains going through Kansas and later certain weeds grew along the tracks. Decades later resourceful entrepreneur college students found they could pay their tuition or create other businesses such as baking and selling brownies and cookies by using the harvest along the tracks.

By the late '60's there were more flying does seen in Kansas, no coincidence, later research discovered. The researchers at a student run medical institute at Kansas State University experimented with transdimensional contraflux strategies by using an Airstream Flying Cloud combined in a manner lost to us with extract of monkey's paw. The exact formula has been lost and all the students too. But it appears as the experiments continued, many flying animals were seen in the area. At this point, Byam concluded that for the safety of the nation, production of the Flying Cloud must cease. That was Byam's story anyway.

However, suspicion surrounds Byam's purchase of an Ohio factory rumored to have been used for wartime bazooka production. There is some indication that bazookas were not produced there, but the factory was a top secret experimental installation run by one Marlin Perkins or his father Merlin (records have mysteriously disappeared) working on diradial plano-transformers. Reports in 1944 in a local newspaper tell about events in nearby Sidney— animals jumping over houses and winged mice and talking ducks. Army officials quickly seized the newspapers, but one remained under the floor of a house and was found by diligent researcher Keith Stone. Still to be explained is a link to Batboy.

So, was Byam a front for these experiments? Are present day Flying Clouds some sort of government program to station them around the nation? Are they being sold in Canada to protect us from a secret army of Quebecois lumberjacks armed with laser hatchets? Are the Quebecois snowbirds that invade south Florida every year to be trusted? Just what is Safari's role in this as he is a card carrying Canadian? How does Batboy stay so young?

Gene
Old 08-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #1125
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
It's Elvis Week on XM Channel 18, baby.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #1126
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Interesting Clock

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #1127
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Is it just me, or is the "Debt" calculation the fastest of them all?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #1128
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I hadn't seen this thread for so long I thought some one had hijacked it
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #1129
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
But, have you seen it in 3D?

YouTube - The Hubble Ultra Deep Field in 3D

Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #1130
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Now that was very cool indeed..........
Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #1131
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
News report from Denver's Channel 9: "DENVER - The measure to create a commission to deal with credible reports of extra-terrestrial activity in Denver has failed."

Gene
Old 11-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #1132
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
OKay, so I get the whole Space-Time Continuum thing, in a Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek sorta way. But, can somebody explain to me how the Universe is 60 billion light years wide if it's only 14 billion years old? Is this like the national debt calculator--we're just supposed to accept it and move on?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #1133
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I don't know about the universe (ask those extraterrestrials in Denver), but to the question:

"Do Buffalo Moo?" No, they "Boo".

Do ravens "rave"?

Gene
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #1134
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
......Do ravens "rave"?

Gene
These guys do. I'll waive closing, counselor.

Baltimore Ravens | Home

Jim

Air No. 6427