Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #1081
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
And in other news.....

The USDA reports that the Western United States is expected to be covered with plagues of locusts later this year due to highly favorable weather and breeding conditions. (No kidding, this story is actually true, but still humorous).

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #1082
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
OK so I will keep feeding the feral cats in the neighborhood. They liked the hoppers, I am sure they will have fun with the locusts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #1083
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ward , Colorado
Bob,
Kudos on that Monte Montgomery piece! I could listen to talent like this endlessly.
Thx, Cal
mamu2cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #1084
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Can we just agree to ignore whatever comes after BlueRay?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #1085
_

. , .
sort doubt he's...

gonna buy 5 copies 4 my mother...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #1086
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The moobou is the result of an amorous encounter between a moose and a caribou. These two ungulates are closely related and sometimes their personal needs overcome their prejudices about different species. Some believe they are actually called cabooses, but the NY Central RR long ago trademarked that name and after a long legal battle with attorneys from the Advanced Science Research Institute of Moose Jaw, Sask., the now long gone NY Central won. Moobou are rarely sighted and many sightings appear not to be credible. Reports that Sasquatch rides a moobou have not been confirmed.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #1087
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Gene, what ever it is you've been sipping, I'll have two please
Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #1088
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I had an Alaska Ale this evening, so—

How international relations theory would cope with a zombie uprising | Daniel W. Drezner

Read the comments too.

If this comes to pass, world wide war between zombies and humans, we should ally ourselves with werewolves and vampires. They are strong and may not be affected by zombie bites. We can give vampires gallons of human blood to get them on our side and call it foreign aid. The werewolves are more of a problem; after the zombies are defeated, we'll have to double cross them by nuking the moon. Then there will be no more full moons, they won't go were, and all is peaceful again.

Gene
Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #1089
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
CrawfordGene, prior to this post, I wanted to meet you. Maybe that is a baaaaddd idea...

Zep
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1090
_

. , .
good to read the comic relief, i need this.

and it's TIME 4 a hijackers rally.

given the old regular crew IN this thread...

((many of whom have not met each otha' yet))

and some tangential arrangements (i loath using the term 'plan')

this could be an interestingnfun gig.

of course we all might not end up in the SAME location...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #1091
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Kind of a cute article about reactions and posting. Sure I wanna go hijackers rally....

(CNN) -- So you're surfing along on your favorite website when you see something that gets your plasma boiling -- so much so that that pulsating vein above your eye is about to burst.
The cause of this Web-induced stress could be an opinion that just doesn't jibe with yours. It could be that author's pompous head shot. Either way, your twitching fingers scroll to the bottom of the page -- past whatever useless garbage you have just consumed. You're going to the comments section -- that oh-so democratic zone of the internet.
But be careful, impassioned Interneteur -- at this very moment you have the potential to transform from a perfectly pleasant person into that most loathed and feared Web dweller: the troll.
While you should feel entitled to join the discussion, and while we've all "trolled out" at one point or another (the anonymity of the 'net certainly lends itself to oozing venom, like a snake doing battle with a mongoose), it's best to pause before pressing "post."
Ask yourself: Are you contributing to the online dialogue or just grunting unintelligibly? Take our quiz to learn how to rise above the Tower of Babel that is the comments section:
Question: You spot an egregious factual inaccuracy, break in logic or unsubstantiated claim in an article you're reading. You proceed to:
a). Give a frustrated sigh, log into your commenter account -- which features your real name -- and compose the following message: "Hey, [insert author name here], in paragraph three in which you describe [XYZ], you seem to be in error. [Explanation]." Then you drain the last dregs of your coffee and return to work.
b). Merely scroll to the bottom (having not actually finished the article), copy a link to your inane website/blog/product, pen a message akin to "What a useful resource for a person like me!" (bonus points if the sentence doesn't actually make sense) and paste said link under said message. You may, in fact, be a robot.
c). Completely disregard all previous comments and correct the author of his or her mistake, even though about 15 people already have done so.
d). Nearly black out with rage, roar into the abyss that is the idiocy of the internet and -- fingers all akimbo -- type: "YOU'RE SO FREAKING STUPID!!!!! I AHTE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!!!!" After which, you down the last drops of your Monster Energy drink, wipe the Cheetos residue on your athletic shorts and bellow up the basement stairs, "MOM!!! WHAT'S FOR DINNER???"
Now for the key:
A: Useful -- if not slightly caustic -- contribution to internet society
Congrats! You are the glue that holds the Web together. A descendent of the "lady who writes letters to the paper," you keep bloggers and writers on their terrified toes.
Other platforms to consider: Why not start your own blog? You seem to have all the answers. We suggest a simple platform, such as Posterous or Tumblr, and a branded, slick-looking homepage that integrates your blog and all of your social networks (your Twitter feed, Facebook status updates, etc). Try Flavors.me, which makes designing such a website easy.
B: The shameless self-promoter
The offspring of the still-kickin' telemarketer, you spread your insipid message where it is clearly not welcome.
Other platforms to consider: Might we suggest a less annoying option? Link exchanges. Merely ask another site to link to yours if you link to theirs. Thus, everyone wins and no one vows to track you down and murder you in your sleep.
C: The echo
Instead of making like some highly trained macaw, why not contribute to the conversation? Isn't that what a comments section is for?
Other platforms to consider: Twitter. Just go retweet some stuff, mmkay? That way you're sharing an opinion/story/something of value with your followers with proper attribution, instead of driving the moderator to alcohol abuse.
D: The classic troll
We know, we know -- puberty can be a difficult time. There's your changing body, the fact that you have yet to kiss a member of the opposite sex, the -- Huh? You're 45? Nevermind. Say "hi" to your mom for us. ...
Other platforms to consider: Formspring.me. This platform allows members to ask anonymous (if they so choose) questions of other users who are crazy/brave enough to invite such inquiries. The site has gained some cred lately -- allowing users to post questions to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Blogger and Wordpress -- but it's definitely a prime spot for those who enjoy ragging on others for no reason except their all-consuming insecurity (i.e., amid the legit interesting queries, questions of the"'Why are you so stupid?" variety are unfortunately common.) Do what you will, but don't blame us when someone terms-of-services you into oblivion. Actually, better yet ... go outside for once.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #1092
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hijackers' Rally: How about in Chintina, Alaska, on June 29? I'll be the guy with my meteor protection device and a stick with rope attached, or maybe a rope with stick attached. My wife will be the embarrassed person.

Gene
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #1093
_

. , .
i was thinking more like YOUR PLACE gene in co...

next week.

we'd have fewer hassles with the HOST being 3-4k miles away.

zepneye can water the rocks 4 ya.

cheers
2air'

Old 06-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #1094
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I had an Alaska Ale this evening, so—

How international relations theory would cope with a zombie uprising | Daniel W. Drezner

Read the comments too.

If this comes to pass, world wide war between zombies and humans, we should ally ourselves with werewolves and vampires. They are strong and may not be affected by zombie bites. We can give vampires gallons of human blood to get them on our side and call it foreign aid. The werewolves are more of a problem; after the zombies are defeated, we'll have to double cross them by nuking the moon. Then there will be no more full moons, they won't go were, and all is peaceful again.

Gene
I don't know....
I'm not sure I like the idea of getting into bed with vampires and werewolves, Gene.
Y'all don't even know yet if they'd be affected by zombie bites or not!
(Probably not, but there should be a big study or something to hang your hat on, dontcha think?)

And is this really even a problem?
I mean, zombies are after one thing, right? Brains.
From where I'm camping, I'd say they're in pretty short supply around the globe these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i was thinking more like YOUR PLACE gene in co...

next week.

we'd have fewer hassles with the HOST being 3-4k miles away.

zepneye can water the rocks 4 ya.

cheers
2air'
zep'n2, push the b&e back a week or 10

and u might have a bigger turnout.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #1095
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
My schedule (you know, the retired kind that is more complicated than when you were working) will permit me to stop by Gene's the day after the RMVAC, like the afternoon of the 8th of Aug.

No, wait, I could also stop by on 15 July on the way to pre-position (I added the "-" for those who would have thought I was talking about a particle of speech) the Sovereign for Burning Man. Don't ask, it requires some airline travel to make it work...

Zep
Old 06-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #1096
_

. , .
we can wait for mistral to attend (only if he brings other knuts),

or rally at gz several times in julynaugust

((r they low on brains at the birthday bash MB?))

zep, you going to the kayak thing this year at port T...?

i may hit a KITE festival (costal wash) in august and was thinking about going to the kayak gathering after.

which gives this gathering a name...KKZVWNS...

or just the flyingfloatndeadHIGHjacquerz...

cheers
2air'

Old 06-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #1097
Certifiable

. , .
G has a pool, right?

Wearing hot, dusty road all summer long can get, um, tedious.

Never did make it to the bash.
Probably could've made a few synaptic connections if I had.
So far this year, Abby Normal's been regular company.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #1098
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I'd be glad to host but the Crawford Vampire Festival conflicts with the proposed dates. I figure I'd better get on their good side before the zombies attack. I believe if I wear a neck brace, they can't get me, and if they do, I get to live forever. Best to become a vampire before I'm any older. If you insist on coming during the Festival, bring your daughters. Vampires really like them.

As for zombies, I advise viewing the movie From Dusk to Dawn. Defensive weapons made from common household products can be useful. I agree with Mistral, more study is needed. Some movies, my primary source of information about zombies and therefore usually quite reliable, indicated zombies cannot be destroyed, and others show zombies can be. I think substantial moneys can be obtained from the Dept of Defense if we can convince the Joint Chiefs of Staff that it will lead to more appropriations for enormous, expensive weapons systems. No doubt we can slip in appropriations for personal meteor protection devices.

Gene
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #1099
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
...zep, you going to the kayak thing this year at port T...?
Maybe. First priority is kayaking around Bowron park in BC in the middle of August.

The Kayak deal in PT is competing with a small party in Sonoma. Wine does have a certain attraction...

Zep
Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #1100
Certifiable

. , .
Hold the garlic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I think substantial moneys can be obtained from the Dept of Defense if we can convince the Joint Chiefs of Staff that it will lead to more appropriations for enormous, expensive weapons systems. No doubt we can slip in appropriations for personal meteor protection devices.
That's a dead end G. You don't seem to understand the enemy. These aren't some neighborhood crackheads you can blast away with a well placed bomb. What kills an undead? Which model of the undead are you using? Night of the Living Dead, Return, Dawn, Day, Shaun? How are you going to train our fighting men and women to deal with this enemy? Previously, scientists invented an endothermic chemical dart that freezes the brain, incapacitating the zombie, but its effective duration proved wildly unpredictable. Burning undeads releases Trioxin into the atmosphere; electrocution stops them only temporarily....

Moreover, from where would the DoD get bank? We're so totally unprepared for your nightmare scenario (the weaponry we now possess is pathetically obsolete and entirely ineffective to fight this enemy) that I'm afraid proper military funding in this instance would be nearly impossible to attain. I do see how a personal meteor protection device could come in handy however....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Wine does have a certain attraction...
Spoken like a true vampire.
FYI, the kayak/coffin metaphor gives you guys away too.