Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #85
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
[Well BAB, if we can get the coasts together, there'll be a Weiner Filner!]

But regarding Canada...

My Canadian wife mentions how -because I'm in a marching band- Americans seem to enjoy parades far more than those folks to the North. Has anyone else observed that?

N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #86
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW View Post
My Canadian wife mentions how -because I'm in a marching band- Americans seem to enjoy parades far more than those folks to the North. Has anyone else observed that?
They certainly do in New Orleans, especially in the two weeks leading up to Mardi Gras! In the last year that I lived in the Garden District, there were 25 parades on the St. Charles Avenue route alone in those two weeks. That doesn't even count any of the other routes.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #87
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
We'll be wintering along the Gulf this year. Maybe we'll make it to NO for the MG!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Canadians know a "two-four", a "mickey", a "twenty-sixer", and a "forty-pounder"
are good things to have close at hand. Beauty, eh?

A “Two four” is a case of 24 beers.
A "mickey" is a 375 ml bottle of liquor.
A “twenty sixer” is a 750 ml bottle of liquor.
A “forty-pounder” is a 1.14 liter bottle of liquor.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #89
Rivet Master

Canadians know how to strictly limit time and money spent on election campaigns.
It's a lesson the US could and should learn.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #90
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
There is this difference. Canada has a Parliamentary system of government.

That means the voters vote for their local Member of Parliament and the Members of Parliament chose the leader - which is always the party leader of whichever party elects the most members. He becomes Prime Minister.

In the US you have primaries for each party to elect its candidate, then an election so really two elections.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Öwhen they're not flying around in balloons.

I do wish we'd get more news of Canada. Is Trudeau still prime minister? Have the quints grown up?

Gene

Gosh, I opened this today, and had a laugh (6 years after the original post). As of this morning, Trudeau is Prime Minister! The original has been dead for a number of years, but his eldest son was just elected, overthrowing the Dark Overlord Harper
Old 11-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We were in BC for the first weeks of the election season and the ads were few, although the Dark Overlord's ads were pretty much like ours. We have a lot of such Overlord's here, some are running for office and some tell the front man Overlords what to do.

Does Canada limit campaign money, or is it like us where any billionaire can buy a candidate ("unrepresentative democracy")?

How long before "too young" Trudeau legalizes what we have already in Colorado and 4 other states? That'll be a big change from the days when Toronto's newspapers didn't publish on Sunday and people in Quebec said the Dionne quints parents were oversexed because they had 5 kids at once.

Gene
Old 11-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #93
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Now that we have discussed our differences, I believe we should set about to set straight those whom our common ancestors left in charge as custodians of the English language. That's right you guessed it. The ENGLISH! They have messed with our language, and the bastardizations of our language are apparently intriguing to our journalists here in the US. They adopt and overuse them to the point of annoyance.

My particular favorite is "went missing." Yes that's right, he got up one morning and said, "Yes, this is the day I will up and go missing". To me it implies intent and activity of the poor soul who is now missing.

"How could he do that. We had a lot planned for today and Henry up and went missing, the SOB."

There are quite a few others, but I will save them for later.

Ken
Old 11-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Gene,

That's why God invented GPS: you can have it SAY the data in metric, US, gallons, Swedish, Uruguayan, or French. There are even at least two flavours of Hinglish!

Then you can swear at it in Kaybecois French: "Maudite affaire, kriss! Collin de bin!!"
Almost lol to swear in French it would be :"Maudite affaire,Christ! Callisse d'ostie de tabarnak ! " and you could also add "merde" anywhere between those words .