Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Fun & Games
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Can't just retire

Ok, in just two short days I'll be retired. It seems that everyone, other than my DW, thinks that I have to have something to do every minute of the day or I'll turn to dust, or something. After working for almost 46 years I really have no plans to run out and get another job - it kinda defeats the purpose of being retired.

Our oldest daughter suggested that I could easily make a game called "Ladder Golf", and sell them while we're out camping. Now, I've never heard of this game nor have I seen it played at campgrounds. She showed me all of the ebay sites selling this item; so I assume it has some popularity.

I'm just curious enough to ask y'all if anyone has any awareness of the game, and what they thought about it.

__________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have played the game at outings with my fly fishing club. It is fun, but noy something you want to do near your airstream. I thought about building one, but I have too many other projects going on now. I have seen them sold for a little under $100 for a set for 4 players

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks Richard. I had no idea they would sell for that much. I also understand about not doing it near the AS, I don't need any pock marks on the trailer from overeager kids.

________Tom

Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Time to retire

Hi Tom,
Ebay also has them for $34
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fisk3301918LD.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	51182  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is the one I looked at...
Ladder Golf - Tossing Game (Tournament Edition)

Richard

Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529
Ok, in just two short days I'll be retired. It seems that everyone, other than my DW, thinks that I have to have something to do every minute of the day or I'll turn to dust, or something. After working for almost 46 years I really have no plans to run out and get another job - it kinda defeats the purpose of being retired.

__________Tom
I've lost count of how many people said to me, " Now that you're retiring, what do you have lined up to do next?".

Answer: "Pretty much whatever I want."

Congratulations on your retirement!
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Me too, Me too, Me too

Tom, I have 2 actual work days to complete and retire on Jan 3rd. I will be at the Can Opener Rally at Top Sail on my last day of work; I have to use up some leave. I have so much lined up to do and can’t wait to start into my to do list. I have a 34 foot sailboat to rebuild which Katrina totaled. I have a 58 MGA to get back on the road. I have tooled up my garage with a lathe, mill, and a engine lift and I am ready to start twisting wrenches, I can’t imagine being bored in retirement. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I plan to enjoy mine.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Tom,

The hardest thing is to save time for spontaneous events. And you never know when they're going to happen, y'know?

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks everyone for the congratulatory remarks. The people who shudder when I shrug my shoulders in answer to their "what will I do with my self" questions are stunned when I add "what ever comes to mind". They all have a desire to remain productive, I suppose, and that doesn't include reading, piddling in the yard, auditing a class here and there, or hooking up an AS to go camping. A numbe of my peers have retired only to walk into a private industry job. I just can't do that, it would interfer with my retirement.

My last official day is also January 3, as it is for most federal retirees who end their career at the end of the year. Using excess leave lets me leave the office tomorrow for the last time. The DW leaves for China on Jan 12 for six months, so I'll spend the first three weeks following her around gathering instructions from her on the proper way to do things. We have skype so we'll be able to talk with each other every day, and that will be good as I will miss her. I have several trips to plan for during her absence, and my farewell tour when she returns. We'll be traveling up parts of the pacific coast hwy into Oregon, then over to Glacier NP, and then home via Colorado.

Right now I'm like a 4 year old sitting in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. A lot of fidgeting going on.

________Tom

Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
A guy in our local unit made a set of these using PVC, most of it isn't glued so it can taken apart and stored. Real simple to make, the balls on each end of the cord, (parachute cord) are golf balls. It's a real hit with the kids at the campground, they'll play for hours. Cheap and easy to make.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Congratulations on the retirement. Here is what I suggest; instead of getting into some sort of business, why not come on up to Lawton and put this years polish on the trade wind . I cant imagine you will get to bored. My mom says she has never been busier than since her retirement.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a truly selfish suggestion:
  • You build the game and donate it to a rally (Dead Horse 2)?
  • You make a sign with information on how someone can get one of these from you.
  • The rally host (me) sets the game up (with the sign) and everyone enjoys it all weekend.
  • It is given away as a part of the Rally Raffle.
Just a thought

Richard

Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
Ok, in just two short days I'll be retired. ...Tom
Well Tom, that was a year ago. How's retirement going? Have you found enough to do?

John [Happily Retired Since June 2001]
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to jking09
Everyone i know that's retired has said the same thing—i don't know what i'll do when i retire—my grandpa said that and he's retired now and has so much time on his hands, sure he gets a little bored at times, but there's always something to do! Spend time with Kids, Grandkids. get back to one of those old hobbies you had when you were younger and didn't have time to mess with because you were WORKING! =)
Congratulations on the retirement! ENJOYYY!!!
jking09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW View Post
Well Tom, that was a year ago. How's retirement going? Have you found enough to do?

John [Happily Retired Since June 2001]
It's been a wonderful year. I've learned that I don't have to get everything done in two days, staying in bed past 8:00 is not a sin, and that the golf courses are open during the week! I'm not a guy that has to have something to do at all times, and that fits retirement pretty well. There are days I'll sweep and mop floors or mow the lawn. Other days I'll do the grocery shopping - it's fun at 9:30 on a weekday because hardly anyone else is there. Then there's planning for the next trip in the Airstream; which I can get obsessed with. I fussed with the planning of my trip west for almost a year, and got a bucket full of great advice from forum members.

There's a lot of other stuff to do as well. I walk two miles a day, watch what I put into my mouth, read books ... . Y'all get the idea. In sum, I'm thankful that I could, and did, retire while I was young enough, and healthy enough, to enjoy it. I have the good fortune to receive a retirement check from a pension fund that's guaranteed by the Fed. So no tears to shed over what my 401(k) used to have in it.

I don't miss the work, just the people I worked with. I've had the chance to do contract work, but I made sure that my bid was high enough to discourage most from accepting it and enough to pay for my lost time.

_________Tom

Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
When people ask me if I miss work, my stock answer is, "like you'd miss a toothache!"

John - Now on to other challanges...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I wish you a happy retirement...But in the back of your mind you should remember this little thing ...The hardest thing to do is nothing, because you cannot stop to rest!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

SHE: What're you gonna do today?

HE: Nuttin'

SHE: Thats the same as yesterday!

HE: I ain't quite done with it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Doin' Today

Today I'm going to sit outside my trailer in Tyler, TX, and read a book. I'm also going to wait until I get a call from the local Ford dealer telling why my Excursion just up and quit on me so I had to coast up to the red light!

First major problem I've encountered while camping. Now, last summer I had to replace my water pump while on the road, but I drove the Excursion to the dealer. Sitting in the right hand lane, no shoulder, with a cop behind you with his flashers blinking, while you wait for the tow truck is exciting. Yesterday, when this happened, was the day the Good Sam RV road service paid for itself. They sent two tow trucks, notified the police that I was disabled, made reservations for me at a Good Sam park, and talked with the local Ford dealer. My vote is that this is a pretty good company to do business with.

Not knowing what's wrong, how much to fix, or when I'll be back on the road again does let my imagination run loose. But then again, I'm fully aware how much worse it could have been. I'd driven through some towns on a narrow two lane road, had been on I-30 coming out of Texarkana that was loaded with semis, and down into the country on US 271 in places that probably have cell service. Just the fact that I came to rest at a red light intersecting with Tyler's loop road, had cell service, was just a blessing.

So, I'm reading and surfing the net today in the Whispering Pines RV Park just outside of Tyler. I'm hoping to be back on the road soon because my DW is concerned, and I'm just about through with this book and the rest are in the Ex at the Ford dealer.

_________Tom

Old 12-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Cool

Tom,
Congrats on YEAR II of retirement. I hope it's everything you'd hoped for. Merry Christmas & a healthy New Year!

John