Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
I'm just curious enough to ask y'all if anyone has any awareness of the game, and what they thought about it.

__________Tom
Tom,

It's funny you should come up with this game. The folks in the trailer park that Henri our trailer lives in are all crazy about it. We are too! It's a game that can be played by all ages.

But they call it "Whackers".

They have all made them by hand, and our next-door neighbour at the park made his out of copper pipe, and said it wound up costing him a pretty penny to do so.

I think that the wood version in the link you posted is the most practical way to make it: lightweight, and should be relatively low-cost.

Bet you could sell a bunch of them in your park or neighbourhood.

Oh, and congrats on being able to retire while you can still enjoy it! A lot of folks aren't that lucky.

cheers,
Aage (retired since July '07 and loving it)
Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
It's still good

Aage,

My second year of retirement has been just as great as the first was. Just a little less hectic. A trip to Memphis in the Spring, and a longer one up to Wausau, WI and home via Memphis in the Summer. We had a nice Thanksgiving camping in Kerrville, TX with friends. So, a good year all around.

I promised my wife to have short trips next year, and stay home to enclose our gazebo. Last summer was so hot and dry we didn't go outside except to get to the car. So, I'll screen in the gazebo and put in some water spray jets so it will be cool enough for us to enjoy the yard. Then there's re-sodding the yard to replace the grass that died during the drought.

So, retirement is still keeping me as busy as I want to be. The only alarm clock going off is the one to keep me from missing my tee time.

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Retired in 2006 (Feds.) and love the look on peoples faces when they ask me, what do you do? My response is always the same, "whatever I feel like doing, whenever I want".
Freedom from a regimented daily schedule gives you a whole new view on life. A change of lifestyle, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. No regrets.
Retirement is not something to be feared, but rather a time to kick up your heels, let loose and live all that life has to offer. My next project is University courses in English Lit.
Days fly by so fast. Now you have the freedom to live your dream...
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
It's been 8 years for me now since retiring at the first possible opportunity. I'm having a ball, no regrets, and don't miss it one little bit.
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
I understand what y'all are saying. There is no "Greeter" job in the future for me. Since my DW is still chair of the history dept at a University here, I've taken advantage of it and I'm taking a Texas history course. So far, I've been able to answer her questions. The downside is that I can't skate through it! If I came to class unprepared I'd here about it at home.

_________Tom

Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Retirement is bittersweet for us. A carefree life of travel adventure and musical performance on the road has turned to watching my wife's Alzheimer's take her slowly and steadily away. I'm not looking for pity, but just had to write it down. I'm sorry if this is inappropriate here. I'm just a bit down tonight after listing the Airstream for sale on eBay. There goes another piece of the dream.
John
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
John,

I'm sorry to hear that you have to sell the Airstream. I lost my mother just before Christmas, and she, too, took that long slow slide you are talking about, so I think I have some inkling of how you might be feeling.

I'm not here to give you pity, just to let you know that you aren't alone, my friend.

Cheers,
Aage
Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
John,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your wife. Yes, there is a dark side to being old enough to retire. My Mother, 98, has been in a nursing home this past year with final stage dementia. I go see her almost every day, and that's the only reason she still knows who I am. Because of my Mother's condition, I've become aware of just how precious memories are, and how tragic it is when they are lost.

I sincerely wish you well, and hang on to your memories for as long as you can.

_______Tom

Old 12-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #29
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Best answer I ever heard:" I worked for 46 years, from here on out I'm just gonna coast".
Old 12-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #30
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Sad to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW View Post
Retirement is bittersweet for us. A carefree life of travel adventure and musical performance on the road has turned to watching my wife's Alzheimer's take her slowly and steadily away. I'm not looking for pity, but just had to write it down. I'm sorry if this is inappropriate here. I'm just a bit down tonight after listing the Airstream for sale on eBay. There goes another piece of the dream.
John
I was sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I can't begin to imagine how it must be for both of you. It is a good reminder to savor every moment out of life you can because no one knows what happens where the road will take us. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote