Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
sealer along window edge?

Hi,

I was just out cleaning my interior window frame and a big strip of clear-colored sealer of some kind peeled right off. Here's a picture of the window and where the stuff was. It's not a window that opens, but the window above it does, so I'm assuming some water will get in if I don't squirt some new stuff in there.

Does anyone know what it might have been and what I should put back in? Is it that Vulkem stuff, Sikaflex, or something else?

Thanks...I'm also going to post a wish list of small window parts in case anyone has them for my '67.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picwithtext.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	16231  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ingrid,
If it was clear and could be peeled off it more than likely was silicone ...I would go back with Vulkem it if were me.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Ingrid,
You will need to clean the area thoroughly with something like Acetone to make sure there is no trace of silicone left. If not, the Vulcum or Silkaflex will not adhere to the surface correctly.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Silly Cone

Ingrid, My Curb Side Window Is Just Like Yours, And Also Like Yours My Po Also Sealed It Up With Gobs Of Silicon Sealer! Get A Good Plastic Paint Scraper And A Small Brass Wire Brush And Remove All That Goop, Then Clean The Window/frame Area Throughly With Acetone And Reseal With Vulkem. Use The Same Plastic Scraper/putty Knife To Force Vulkem Down Into The Gaps Between The Glass And The Frame And You Will Get A Water Tight Seal That Looks A Lot Better Than What You Had Before. Ed
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Once again, forums to the rescue. I did buy some grey Vulkem, and will clean it and re-seal. I also went over to the other side and peeled off another rubber worm of sealer over there. My windows are going to be in tip top shape when I'm done...thanks guys!!

ingrid
Old 11-19-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Ingrid, I don't suppose I've told you lately how GLAD I am that you are going through this stuff before me. I learn so much from your threads!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The product name is Sikaflex-221

Long before I learned how to work with Airstreams, a coworker owned a Cadillac runabout. This was a small aluminum boat with a front deck and windshield. See: http://www.harborrec.com/CurrentPics%5C049.html. A quick Google produces production dates in the 1950s. The sealant between the panels had long since worn out and it would sink every night if he left it tied to the dock. More than once he cleaned up the joints and caulked it with silicone. I don't know what he did with that boat but the silicone never did the trick. Silicone does not adhere to the oxided aluminum surface at all -- well, let's just say it doesn't seal very well. You'll hate having to remove the stuff!

There are countless threads on Vulkem or Sikaflex if you use the search function. Vulkem has good body and gap filling characteristics, but it is lumpy and works well if a smooth appearance is not your objective. Vulkem remains tacky for a long time. Sikaflex 221, http://www.sikaindustry.com/tds-ipd-sf221-ind-us.pdf, is also a good product for aluminum applications. It is smooth textured and skins over in a fairly brief period -- a couple hours or so. I really like it for more finished applications.

It is rare you use a whole caulk tube of these products. Put aluminum foil over the tip and wrap it in a couple of bread wrappers bound with rubber bands, then store the whole thing in the freezer. My wife takes to that a lot better than when I used to keep birdwatching specimens on ice...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
vulkem/sikaflex

So...for the application I need it for, do you recommend Sikaflex over Vulkem? I'm sure I'll use the Vulkem I ordered for something else; we're re-doing the whole trailer. It sounds like you're saying they both work well, but Sikaflex is easier to deal with and dries more quickly?

Thanks for this!

ingrid
Old 11-19-2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
he he

No you haven't...but I'm glad to be of help, it's nice to know someone else has the same questions that I do!

Ever forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Ingrid, I don't suppose I've told you lately how GLAD I am that you are going through this stuff before me. I learn so much from your threads!

ingrid
Old 11-20-2005, 05:48 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
So...for the application I need it for, do you recommend Sikaflex over Vulkem? I'm sure I'll use the Vulkem I ordered for something else; we're re-doing the whole trailer. It sounds like you're saying they both work well, but Sikaflex is easier to deal with and dries more quickly?

Thanks for this!
Ingrid,
Canoe stream pretty well covered it. FWIW the factory has switched over to Sikaflex from Vulkem. I still use the vulkem because that is what I have and can readily get. There are different grades of both, but the Vulkem is a slow cure caulk. IIRC both are available from the Airstream Company online store.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I had seams at the Argosy's front windows that needed to be dug out. I've got another seam between the door frame and the underlying skin that seems to leak. A knife blade wasn't working well for me. Talk to your dentist and ask about worn out instruments -- sickle scalers don't wear out... darn. Try asking about periodontal curettes and expect to break a tip now and then; their hygienist probably already broke a tip on the other end of these double-ended instruments if they felt inclined to 'donate' it to your project.

Now the secret for fine work -- Search http://images.google.com/ on keywords: Monoject 412 -- you will get some nonprofessional sources for a disposable plastic syringe with about a 1/16" opening at the tip. That's a bit narrow for Sikaflex but can be trimmed back slightly to increase the opening. I haven't found an easy way to clean it for re-use, but it will be good for a few days if you do the freezer trick with it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I tried other application ideas also. We have so-called fleet stores that have work clothes and general merchandise for farms & ranches. There are a variety of syringe products in the vet supplies area. Check that out if you like. The needles are too small bore and the syringes with needle off is almost too large bore. Dunno...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
One Sikaflex source

Okay, I'm going to have to ask the moderators not to give me credit for each of these posts...

Member markdoane was first to mention Austin Hardware if I recall. Their service was very good with internet-only contact. I note that it is still $5.47 a tube. Get the grey -- it is light in color and a good match whether working with an Argosy or Airstream. Link: http://www.austinhardware.com/default.asp?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Awesome. Thanks for all this, canoe stream! This one's a print-er out-er.

One more question: which one is the better to get, the Sikaflex 221 or 252, as shown at the austin hardware online store, for my purposes? Does it matter? The 221 is mentioned below, but there always seems to be another factor thrown in for confusion's sake.

ingrid
Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The Sikaflex-221 is what I've read Airstream, Inland Andy and others say is the right stuff for our application.

BTW -- I said the Monoject irrigation syringe can't be re-used. That is only after the material sets. I can refill it many times in one work session.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
got it. Off to shop for squirty stuff!

ingrid