Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Leya - All the above are great inputs for you to ponder. I guess liability insurance might be something to research some, but has never been something I've known anyone to worry too much about. Some rallies tend to be structured (planned activities like thrift shopping for the ladies & golf for the men, etc. or nothing formal planned at all. The only thing that matters to me is meeting up with old friends and making new friends. Pot luck meals are fun, great variety and most folks take pride in the food they supply. Just think of activities you like to participate in and request input from those that respond to your "notice of a rally" here on the Forums. Post it and they will come. Many prefer full hookups in a RV park & many love to boondock, both for their own reasons. Don't fret too much, just plan something & see where it goes and adjust activities as it comes together. Most important - plan on having FUN.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
A "Rally" is a group of AS owners greater then one that gather for the purpose of socializing and having fun. It can be initiated by anyone with an AS. Atmosphere should be free spirited, diverse, informational, and with minimum rules and hierarchy
That's it!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
The essentials have been mentioned, let us underline a couple things that have enhanced the experience in the few rallies we have been a part of.

Air Forum Banter: nothing teases out the lurkers and folks who aren't sure they want to "join" than a lot of good natured banter. "Even though these people seem inordinately fond of Possum or Bacon or Fall colors they seem like a fun group... " Folks who know each other or know how much fun rallies can be will show up; keeping a lively thread going on the Airforums will attract newcomers and new friends...

Breakfast: getting EVERYONE in a bunch at the beginning of the day starts the conversations going and the day's activities become more inclusive and welcoming. I thank Frank and Ace and their "staff" at the Bash for showing us how important that can be with a full outdoor kitchen and a dining area, but the Alumalina crowd accomplishes the same result with a "potluck" approach and some inspired campfire griddling and DO cooking.

That campfire ritual of backing the chairs up to make the circle bigger and include others is at the heart of this thing we call a rally.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Thanks twobikes, as a registered Scout Leader we would most definitely have to have some cooking on the campfire. Personally with my family all of our cooking occurs outdoors either on the fire or our big magic Chef stove from Costco. :-)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
When 2 or more,, gather together to share the same values, My friend and I have a 2 trailer rally 3 or 4 times a year..

Good luck and keep it small the first try ,, and ask for advice from other members who do this every year. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
Air Forum Banter: nothing teases out the lurkers and folks who aren't sure they want to "join" than a lot of good natured banter. "Even though these people seem inordinately fond of Possum or Bacon or Fall colors they seem like a fun group... " Folks who know each other or know how much fun rallies can be will show up; keeping a lively thread going on the Airforums will attract newcomers and new friends...

Breakfast: getting EVERYONE in a bunch at the beginning of the day starts the conversations going and the day's activities become more inclusive and welcoming. I thank Frank and Ace and their "staff" at the Bash for showing us how important that can be with a full outdoor kitchen and a dining area, but the Alumalina crowd accomplishes the same result with a "potluck" approach and some inspired campfire griddling and DO cooking.

The first, the good natured banter, was what made me interested in Canopener, and kept me interested all the way until we arrived.

The second, everybody together eating, made it easy to get to know the people I had never met. From the chili potluck the first night, to breakfast with the ranger the next morning, to potluck on the loop, to a potluck breakfast the last day, we sat and talked with new people, and a few came back to join us at the next meal... It was fantastic...

-Red, loving the food and the people...
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
..... as a registered Scout Leader we would most definitely have to have some cooking on the campfire.
Ahhh. Food is the common denominator that binds the Rally-goers. Campfire cooking is an excellent way to get to know everyone there.
The WBCCI Rallys all seem to include a simple 7-8 AM group breakfast. I am not a morning person. Neither are our group of regulars. The “Dawn Patrol” people usually have a fire started, coffee, and a cast iron skillet sizzling before 7:00. The rest will filter into the group area between 8-11 depending on the previous night around the fire.

Unless you have some solid backing I don't try this for your first Rally. My DW and co-hosts wife usually set a theme for the Rally. Halloween, Mexican Night, Thanksgiving, Pizza were all used with great success. Over the years this has evolved to feature a type of cuisine for the Potluck. It also includes all the decorations appropriate to the theme. A first timer once called us an Eating Group with a Camping Disorder.
Last Fall an Oktoberfest theme evolved within the Rally thread on the Forum. The day before we all packed up to go home somehow Lasagna became the theme for the Spring outing.

Keep your first Rally simple, the coals hot and the cast iron handy. You'll do fine.

Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Regarding the European Airstream Gathering 2013, did people take their Airstreams and tow vehicles to Europe, or rent over there?
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Regarding the European Airstream Gathering 2013, did people take their Airstreams and tow vehicles to Europe, or rent over there?
Airstream sells trailers in Europe. With the exception of Rich Luhr, editor of Airstream Life who was visiting, all of the attendees were Europeans. There are quite a few European Airstream rally videos on YouTube. Search using "Airstream Europe", "Airstream Germany", "Airstream UK" in the YouTube search bar. Also check out Andrew Ditton's videos of his Airstream travels in the Outer Hebrides.

The recent 2015 Canopener Airstream Rally video was put up on YouTube this morning. In nine years Canopener has grown from an annual event with about a dozen Airstream to attracting over 100 Airstreams. Despite its size, it still has an informal fun and friendly atmosphere that keeps people coming back year after year. Here is a link to this year's Canopener video:

Canopener 2015 Airstream Rally Video
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
. We actually have only ever boondocked so RV siteing it would have to be something we would have to test run alone if needed I suppose...and pray I don't get parked next to a big SOB. ��
That is just a golden opportunity to entice the SOB owners to becoming Airstream owners!!!

Good luck!

WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote