Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
The Byam Concept Continues!

We are wanting to do a Caravan to Costa Rico as inspired by the previous travels of the Airstreams.
Wondering if anyone would consider traveling/joining the group. Will need much help with the Camp-outs & Get-togethers but this should be a Real Byam Adventure if we could pull it off!

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
To Costa Rica, as in "all the way through Mexico and stuff?"

"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
That would be great. Can't do it myself but might be an adventure if the logistics could be worked out.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Yes it would be "all the way through Mexico and stuff?" but it might also be worth the effort. Right now it is only a thought & considering the logistics, won't happen overnight
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master
That is a very ambitious trip and as much of an adventure as it was in Wally's day.
We took a travel trailer in all but two of the Mexican states in 1998. We were going to Belize but it involved crossing customs and getting costly insurance so we took a bus from Chetemal Mexico into Belize instead. One of the difficulties of going to Costa Rica is crossing frontiers and getting separate insurance for each country.
The theme of the trip was to visit all of the archeological sites on the way. Many of these were lightly visited so we camped on the grounds where ever we could. Campgrounds south of Mexico City are scarce so we camped in restaurants, motels, water parks and big parking lots.
There are spectacular Mayan ruins throughout central America.
Our trip took a month and we felt rushed and simply ran out of time at the end and had to drive from southern Mexico to Mazatlan in a few days. There is no way to make time as many of the roads are in poor condition.
There is social unrest and drug violence but as a frequent traveler to Mexico, our opinion that the risk to careful tourists is minimal and would be reduced by a group of Airstreamers traveling in a caravan.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Topanga , California
Having traveled in Costa Rica, I must say we never saw a campground of any sort. If they exist, they'll be few and far between. Camping seems to be one thing Costa Ricans are not interested in, something cultural I guess. Also some of the roads would be a challenge to drive, narrow and rough. For Mexico, consider joining a group tour for safety and security concerns.
Nanette L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
Two or three years ago I saw a caravan of Airstreams in northern Belize that had come down the coastal route through Mexico. I think they were headed on farther south in Belize before going on to Guatemala.

There are only three or four campgrounds suitable for trailers or RVs in Belize, and most of them have limited services (I think only one has a dump station) but it's usually possible to find a lodge or guesthouse where you can park -- sort of pseudo boon docking.

Over the years I've seen quite a few Airstreams brought to Belize for temporary housing while the owner built a house, or in at least two cases a hotel. However, most of these Airstreams ended up being victims of the climate, salt water, humidity or rough roads.

Basically, I agree about Mexico being reasonably safe for tourists, though it depends to some degree on which routes you take. One could say a caravan would just present a bigger, juicier target, but on the other hand there is safety in numbers. Except in a few areas, mostly northern Mexico and parts of Guatemala, I would be more concerned about petty theft than about the drug cartels.

Not all countries in the region require insurance, though Mexico and Belize are among those that are strict about it. For example, Guatemala doesn't require even liability insurance.

Ditto firearms. In some countries in the region, again including Mexico and Belize, you can end up spending a long time in prison for possession of just a single bullet cartridge, and paradoxically that's true even though guns are common and the violent crime rate involving guns in very high in most of the region.

It would be a great adventure, but you would have to be realistic about crime in the region and in some cases the lack of good places to overnight, traffic and the state of the roads, especially when pulling a trailer.

If you're going to go as far as Costa Rica, I would take the last step to Panama, which in many ways offers as much as Costa Rica at half the price.

Good luck!
--Lan Sluder
Asheville, NC & Belize, Central America
1970 Overlander 27'
LanSluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
Sacramento , California
Vagabundos Del Mar (Vagabundos del Mar RV, Boat & Travel Club - Mexican Insurance, Baja & Mexico Group Activities and Tours). Check them out. RV, Boat and south of the boarder travel club.
chasgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Ok. So, we are just planning right now, right. I'm in. Been to Costa Rica, so I would just love the trip to there! My wife and I are planning Mexico for a year or so out anyway.
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
1981 31' Excella II
Round rock , Texas
I know my family would love to do this during the summer in a few years. We just bought out airstream, and want to do the Rockies next year and Alaska the next, but then, Costa Rica here we come!

sphinxatuf1 is offline   Reply With Quote