View Poll Results: What would Wally do with a "Rally Crasher"?
a) turn the non-rally participants away from all rally activities (risk being viewed as unfriendly) 1 1.82%
b) turn the non-rally participants away from all expensed activities (requiring a rally sheriff "bad guy") 16 29.09%
c) charge all rally attendees "extra" to accomodate the rally-crasher (not fair!) 0 0%
d) sell rally tickets onsite with an additonal surcharge (some risk involved) 28 50.91%
e) don't tell "the public" where the rally is going to be (not practical) 0 0%
f) other, please explain in post 12 21.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Wrist bands as proof of payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I think crashing is rude, but is a fact of life.

To take the confrontation out of the expense parts I would go with a wristband. When you register you receive your wristbands, when it is time for food show the band no band no food. Tickets are too easy to lose.

Even in an informal rally setting I would assume that one would pay their way. Informal dose not mean free loading.

Jim
This approach sounds good to me. Anyone know where to get suitable wrist bands that have to be destroyed to be removed?

AIR #10274
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We have had this happen many times. We have never been "crashed" we have invited those that we happen to find at a campground or others that showed an interest in the club. Most of the time they would insist on paying for any extra expenses, such as catered meals, and this was accepted. Happy hours and "chewing the fat" was on the house. We try to treat others the way we would want to be treated in a similar situation.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wink Short-Arm Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Chop them off at their knees.
The wonderful thing about good rally organizers is that they are ORGANIZED. Some people just aren't - or just don't know any better. And then there are the people whose arms shrink up to their pits whenever the check is presented. They go through life with the attitude that "if you really didn't want me here, you'd tell me."

Of course THEY never learned a sense of good manners or shame in their own homes, and take advantage of yours.

Reaction? You'll be burned up about it for weeks before and weeks after if you say nothing. So SAY SOMETHING. Something like, "We would certainly welcome you NEXT TIME IF YOU REGISTER AND PAY IN ADVANCE."

I'm personally a "last minute Louise" type BUT I expect to pay a premium for being a disorganized type. I got my new A/S less than a week before the Cherry Blossom Rally, and because I had no time to cook, I brought a CASE of Champagne.

Participants - welcome them.
Chronic Moochers - Convince them to find a cold welcome ELSEWHERE.

Paula Ford
Old 08-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #46
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I am going to agree with Paula and repeat myself. Either way would be acceptable. Show up late (or with out RSVPing) and pay the freight. (Or throw your own party/dinner/slide show. Or send in the RSVP and do it straight up.

As Paula points out the sense of good manners or shame would drive me and I know others it has no bearing.

As to the purpose of the thread Shari, since it will be one or two people that end up being the cop or "bad guy" or the bank. May be put it up to the organizing committee. Such that, do you want a cop or do you want to pay? Have that Q answered in consenses by the committe. Some how the 2nd choice of redistributing the wealth is not my gig. The surcharge route would be totally acceptable in my opinion no matter which side of the reservation I choose to be on.

The rest of the association needs to understand that if they aren't bank rolling someone's meals for a week that someone needs to be the bad guy. And no one likes that guy. However the association needs to back up that guy, cause no one wants to do that job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
The rest of the association needs to understand that if they aren't bank rolling someone's meals for a week that someone needs to be the bad guy. And no one likes that guy. However the association needs to back up that guy, cause no one wants to do that job.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I'll do it, I'll do it. Just give me a Wally Bull Horn and Laniard and a mini bike - you can guess the rest. A slight dragging around the camp site might empty the pockets of all their change and they will be begging for forgiveness for being so rude and presumptuos as to "crash" in the sense of the real crashers - or at least I think what Shari is getting at the real problem.

And as for the honest to goodness newbies or happen to be there bies (who are NOT the problem as I understand it - the bull horn is for the use of a big huge welcome. The laniard to pretent to be a member for at least a rally until they get to join. And the Mini bike for the fundraiser to raise the extra funds needed to pay for the tickets they will need for the meals and all the other fun expensive stuff.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #48
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
K.i.s.s.

If serving catered food, serve it only to those who paid for it. Form a separate “beans & franks” line for non-paying visitors.
Nobody goes away hungry…crashers, freeloaders or future rally candidates.
Identify prepaid guests with tickets, wristbands, hats or whatever. Every prepaid guest kicks in a couple extra bucks to accommodate the known small percentage of freeloaders. Everybody goes home happy, with full tummy and hopefully no bias against "Airstream elitiists".

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #49

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That seems like a nice even-handed solution, Rog

Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
If serving catered food, serve it only to prepaid guests with valid tickets, wristbands or whatever. Form a separate “beans & franks” line for non-paying visitors.
Nobody goes away hungry…crashers, freeloaders or future rally candidates.
Identify prepaid guests with tickets, wristbands, hats or whatever. Every prepaid guest kicks in a couple extra bucks to accommodate the known small percentage of freeloaders. Everybody goes home happy, with full tummy and hopefully no bias against "Airstream elitiists".
Rog,

I have followed this thread with interest, especially the more recent comments. But, why should I, who registered on time and paid my fee, pay for the freeloader? Also, would one Airstream owner call another an Airstream Elitiist? Isn't this a comment which a SOB owner would use toward us?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
i can only suggest to order extra food, and if it is a person (or people) who always crash, let them read these posts and learn. No advanced regestration, no meal. Planning is hard enough with out people showing up not counted in the final talley.
We always expect new people who might want to join, and plan for this, but habitual offenders need to learn to use good manners.

Marie
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #52
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rog,
why should I, who registered on time and paid my fee, pay for the freeloader? Also, would one Airstream owner call another an Airstream Elitiist? Isn't this a comment which a SOB owner would use toward us?
Bill
You pay for freeloaders everyday if you are an American taxpayer. Why should camping be any different?
One Airstream owner might call another an elitist if that person plans an activity which might exclude the other from joining, even with just cause. I'm simply suggesting a compromise which might be viewed as a generous gesture rather than a preclusion.
Consider that someone wanted to join the rally at the last moment and had a legit reason for not registering early. I'd like to see that person welcomed by fellow Airstreamers even if it understandably means they will eat hot dogs rather than lobster.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Perhaps the title "Rally Crasher" needs to be defined. I would say this is someone deliberately sets out to attend a function with the intent of getting something free. His our Her intention is to decieve for gain, theirs. These of course need to be delt with. But honestly how often does this really happen? In the course of a years functions how many, especially repeat offenders ,have you seen. Comparing a Rally to a Wedding, preparing wrist bands, issuing tickets, just seems like more rules wraped in paranoia. Why put the the rally organizers through more work. Quit worrying about someone who might eat some of your food. If it's obvious this person or persons are really freeloaders just tell them to hit the road. To spend this much energy and draw this much attention to them will only develope an attitude that when anyone walks into you camp they arouse suspicion. After reading many of these responses I'm not so sure but what this has already happened.
Pieman
Old 08-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Shari, hope you have developed ideas enough to take back to your rally committee now ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quick Fussing...

We should welcome any Airstreamer with open arms, especially if they aren't members of WBCCI!
Let them know how much they need to add to the kitty, and tell how happy you are to meet them.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Old 08-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
To spend this much energy and draw this much attention to them will only develope an attitude that when anyone walks into you camp they arouse suspicion. Pieman
...Or perhaps it will educate the uninitiated about one of the challenges faced by rally organizers, and lead to a solution to the problem...

Kudos for starting this thread, and a hearty thank you to those who choose to shoulder the tremendous burden of organizing rallys for the rest of us (and who regrettably have to deal with the fringe element wackjobs).