Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
how to get a rally?

Hi,
Besides being devoted to our vintage Airstream, my wife and I also own an RV park. Ok, so we get our Holiday Rambler rally and our Winnebago rally in the summer -- and we LOVE the folks in those rallies! However, we've always wanted to get an Airstream rally, for obvious reasons! Now we and the Holiday Ramblers/Winnebago'ans just sort of found each other; I don't remember any more how we hooked up. So tell me, how is it that rallymasters and/or rv park folk typically wind up with each other?

Lynn
Old 01-30-2004, 01:29 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One way Lynn is being here. Many of us are willing and able to meet together. All it takes is a meeting of the minds and maybe one person to help get the ball rolling. You can always deal with organizations and WBCCI is the place to start. Their web site can get you hooked up with the regions and in many cases the local units. Most of the regions have web sites and many of the local units do too. The internet is a wonderful thing for getting folks together.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well...if you want to host a "Forum Rally", start a thread in the Rally section & see if there are many folks that would be willing to attend. Last June a group of 17 forum members met at Lake Heron, NM and had a great time. There has been some discussion about getting together again this year (possibly in Moab) but that hasn't really produced a great turn out commitment yet....time of year? location? who knows why??? Maybe NM would be better received ~

If you are thinking of a WBCCI Rally, I would contact the folks in your local unit to see if there would be any interest. If you are a WBCCI member, I'm sure that would help.

Does your RV Park have a website with info about your location & amenities?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Gosh, thank you for the ideas! I really didn't expect to hear so much! (And thank heavens for the internet!)

We have a pretty small park, so can only do smaller rallies. The two groups that are coming this summer run 10-15 rigs each. We're located in Angel Fire, NM, which is about 23 miles east from the plaza in Taos. Altitude is about 8,400 feet, about 1000 feet higher than Taos, with the expected effects on temperatures (summer and winter!).

Ah, what else can I say? Maybe just our website will help:

http://www.aardvarkrv.com/MonteVerdeRV

As for timing, the only REAL no-no's are April and October, when we look forward to hitching up and heading out ourselves!! (I'm already pouring over maps in anticipation of this April ...)

Lynn
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Rally Ideas

We have been members of the informal Casita Club for the past two years. ( Just sold it now that we have an A.S.) There is no formal club, no dues, no officers, no funny hats, etc. It is a forums-based 'club' (you can get a number for your trailer if you want) that has many successful local, regional, & national rallies. All are posted and organized through the casitaclub forum. Any one of the 'members' who wants to, makes arrangements for a group discount at a place they've been to or have knowledge of, post the places reservations number in the forum, and a rally 'happens!'.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:45 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Ooooh! Anglefire!

Wow! Be sure to tell them about the Disabled American Veterans Viet Nam Memorial there. It is awesome!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-31-2004, 06:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
eubank, I think it's great that you are interested in having Airstream gatherings at your facility! Speaking as a WBCCI past unit president, I can tell you that I (and my unit in the midwest) are always trying to find new, interesting places to hold rallies. We just LOVE it when someone makes an offer such as your's. I second the idea that you contact your area WBCCI unit(s). I'd think they would be glad to hear from you. Also, Vintage rallies and Forum rallies would be neat to have at your place.
Good Luck, MarkE
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Wow, this is just too cool to be true! Ok, let us work on this end to see what our calendar looks like here.

Lynn
Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
That's what I was thinking!

Quote:
Also, Vintage rallies...would be neat to have at your place.
Unfortunately, I think your park is too small for the Vintage Airstream Club's Rocky Mountain Rally. This year's is already scheduled for July 30th-August 4th we're expecting 50 trailers! We already have 26 confirmed registrations ~ more than 6 months ahead of time! I'm sure it will sell out...as "Wagon Mistress" it's a nice problem to have.

For more information check out: 2004 Rocky Mountain VAC Rally

Now a Forum Rally is a different story...as I mentioned, last June we had 17 trailers ~ we have a saying "If you plan it, they will come!"

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Re: That's what I was thinking!

Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
Unfortunately, I think your park is too small for the Vintage Airstream Club's Rocky Mountain Rally. This year's is already scheduled for July 30th-August 4th we're expecting 50 trailers! We already have 26 confirmed registrations ~ more than 6 months ahead of time! I'm sure it will sell out...as "Wagon Mistress" it's a nice problem to have.

Now a Forum Rally is a different story...as I mentioned, last June we had 17 trailers ~ we have a saying "If you plan it, they will come!"

Shari
Yeah, we're pretty small. However, if you'd be interested in some other location in NM, let me know. I know a bunch of the park owners down here.

You know, what really stinks about being a park owner is feeling trapped here! We'd LOVE to be able to get a way to attend, for example, the Rocky Mountain Rally!

Lynn
Old 02-03-2004, 09:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Re: That's what I was thinking!

Quote:
Shari
Someone mentioned the Casita forum in this regard, so I took a look. It's interesting because they use their calendar along with a forum. Here are relevant links:

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...hp?showforum=6

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...p?act=calendar

Lynn
Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Angel fire

Lynn,

We went through your area two summers ago. My son attended a trek at the Philmont Scout reservation and while he was there we vacationed in Arizona and New Mexico. When it was time to pick him up, we drove through. We stayed in Cimmeron Canyon at the state park. Had we known there was an Airstream in the area, we would have happily stayed with you.

That is sure pretty country out there. It's like a different planet from here in New Hampshire. Those mountain passes can be tricky, we found that if you take it slow, everything is ok. The speed still doesn't eliminate the pucker. The wedgies out west are just bigger than in the east.

Here in NH, we've found all you have to do is volunteer to host an event with the local unit of WBCCi and the folks at the top are more than willing to take you up on the offer. If you haven't already joined the NM unit of WBCCI you should do so. just go to www.wbcci.org and select region eleven. Follow the links to the New Mexico unit.

Good luck

Mark