Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Spend New Years in a Cave in Florida?

I decided I don't want to spend New Year's at home this year so we are going camping. If there are any members who would like to join us in the Florida Panhandle we would love to meet up with you.

Our plan is to arrive at the Florida Caverns state park in Marianna FL. on New Years Eve and spend New years day in the cave. We plan on spending time in the area, and may even make a run to outlying areas to do other things that are yet to be planned.

If you want to join us there are sites available for $10.00 per night. Water and Electric. Sewer is a dump station approx 2 miles from the campground. There are restrooms on the campground loop. There are 11 sites still available.

Here is the site to reserve a spot
http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/co.../newindex.html

You will need to be a member to register for a site.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
The following is off of the Florida Caverns web site:

"The new restroom in the camping area is complete. It has heating and cooling for your comfort.

Florida state parks are open from 8 a.m. until sundown 365 days a year.

Cave tours are available every day of the year except Thanksgiving and Christmas day. Operating hours from October through February are 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

Florida Caverns State Park is located 3 Miles North of Marianna, Off of U.S. 90 on S.R. 166. From I-10 Take Marianna Exit 136 or 142 north and follow signs to the park.

The Entrance Fee into these parks is $3.25 per carload, up to eight people. Extra persons, walk-ins, and bicyclists are $1.00 per person.

There are separate fees for camping and tours. Most camping reservations can be made by calling the Florida State Park Central Reservation System at 1-800-326-3521 or on-line."

The tours cost $5.00 per adult and $2.50 for children ages 3 - 12. The camping is $8.00 per night, plus $2.00 per night for electric.

In-park activities, besides the cave tour, include: golfing, canoe rentals, fishing, and nature trails.

We have reserved site 17 for 4 days. We'll head home Sunday mid-morning.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Question

We'll go down as a maybe!

We are planning to go to Mystic Springs on 12/31, then Topsail Hill on 1/1 - 1/4. However, we can leave Topsail on Saturday and come spend a day at Florida Caverns. Never been there. Sounds fun!

The maybe part is I currently have my black tank out and Inland Andy is having to build me a new one. If I get this back and installed by 12/31 we'll go camping, if not we are going to have to postpone.

Hope to see ya and pour a beer over ya!

Scott, Mona, Caroline and Logan.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fundave
sounds like fun to us. I've never been to Mystic Springs even though it is so close. We've first got to survive the holidayz..then we'll make a firm decision..thus maybe.
fundave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Fundave,

The state park we are going to is in Marianna, almost due north of you by approx 70 miles. We were thinking of going to Mystic springs, but I wanted to do the cave thing.

63 wind,

Love to see ya, but now I have to bring my rain poncho???? Hope you can make it!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 12-19-2003, 09:05 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Never rains in Florida! Liquid sunshine. We look forward to meeting ya'll, either over New Years or in the spring. Till then, I'll play Weeweechu for ya'll... on guitar

Weeweechu a Merry Christmas
Weeweechu a Merry Christmas
WeeWeechu a Merry Christmas

and A HAPPY NEW YEAR!\
Old 12-19-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
wish we could join ya, we are heading to St Augustine for the 26-30, but have to be home for a New Year's gig. Y'all have fun!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Still out of service

Brett, I would love to join you, but my tow vehicle is still in a thousand pieces all over the floor of the garage...Maybe before next Christmas ...
Terry
Old 12-20-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

ALANSD, we will be at Anastasia S.P, St Augustine, 23rd to 27th December. Is that where you will be? Anyone else? Nick
Old 12-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Terry,

Did you read the instructions that came with the box of parts? You know the ones written in bad English that you are trying to read on Xmas eve as you assemble ___________

I didn't know that Chrysler used a transmission with a thousand pieces. It must have blowed up real good!

Sorry you won't be able to make it. Maybe Sarasota in February??
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 12-22-2003, 07:46 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Terry,

Did you read the instructions that came with the box of parts? You know the ones written in bad English that you are trying to read on Xmas eve as you assemble ___________

I didn't know that Chrysler used a transmission with a thousand pieces. It must have blowed up real good!

Sorry you won't be able to make it. Maybe Sarasota in February??
Maybe a few more than a thousand, if you count the tiny pieces of shrapnel...
I may be able to join you all in Sarasota, please PM me with the info.
Thanks.
Terry
Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Christmas camping

We will be at St. George Island beginning on Dec. 26. At the moment it appears that it will be cold near the ocean. Like to go over to the caves but I think that it may be a drive from St. George.
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Christmas camping

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed L
We will be at St. George Island beginning on Dec. 26. At the moment it appears that it will be cold near the ocean. Like to go over to the caves but I think that it may be a drive from St. George.
We have a house rented allready for Spring break. Hopefully I will have our Coach close to servicable about the same time. Renting a house is expensive. I have een behind on it.We had hoped to camp at the St park for the holidys or run down to Key West. ....Maybe next year.

Capt Charlie (Hurst here on the forums) lives there and as I understand runs a charter boat service. We were going to stop and say Hi when we were there in October but left his contact info in Atlanta. I tried to find the house but looked on the wrong side of island. LOL

Wish you lived where you have to come through Atlanta. I'd sure love some shrimp from the guy that comes to the island and parks by the main road on the way in from the bridge. MONSTER shrimp for much less then tiny shrimp cost here.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 08:41 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Hmmm...St George...anit never camped there neither...been to Aligator point though.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Re: Christmas camping

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed L
Like to go over to the caves but I think that it may be a drive from St. George.
Unfortunately, Mapquest says it's a good three hour drive each way from St. George Island to Marianna.

Bummer
Old 12-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

airstream dreaming

we are heading south ASAP after the holidays, hopefully before new years. We think we will drive to Savannah for one night (I grew up there) and to Jacksonville for the second night and then maybe three nights in St Augustine.
Looking at this forum it appears quite a few of airstream.com folks are heading that way as well. Being winter do we need to make reservations at Campgrounds in Florida (state and private)??

This will be our first major trip in the excella -- we are looking forward to it.

tom & betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Reservations are a good idea at this time of year. many snow birds are making the trek down for the remained of the winter so the campgrounds will be full unless you plan on pulling in quite early. Additionally with the Xmas break many family's head out and do Christmas vacations so that adds to the numbers that are all trying to get that campground spot. When we made our reservations at the state park there were about 10 sites left for the period around New Years.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 12-29-2003, 05:26 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
The Motorhome is off the landing pad and on the drive for the pre-trip prep. Are we going to be going solo? Or will I have a welcoming committee when we arrive?

All I have left to do is load the beer and wine, and check air and fluids. Drop me a PM or add a post so I know whether to worry about someone who is a late arrival
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 12-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
St. George

St. George is nice. Site 29! It's the only pull through. Some sites are sandy. Bring good shoes as the beach is a 1/4 mile walk. Nice beach but we prefer Henderson Beach State Park. Nicer beach and sites. St. George is great though!

Florida Caverns is not really near anything. Falling Waters State Park is a short drive to see a big hole in the ground the water falls into.

Say 'Hi' and 'Fred misses ya' to Tallahassee for me as you drive by! I've moved there three times and moved away three times. To quote Gov. Arnold.....'I'll be back'.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Oh, I just remembered Torreya State Park which is in the area (hour west of Tally). It is the start of the Appalachian mountains and they have a hiking trail that has some nice views and cliffs (for Florida) with a historical house at the end of the trail.

I've never been there (no pets) but I always wanted to. For some odd reason, 15 years in Tallahassee and I never went there.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote