Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
Caravan concerns

hello I don't know if anyone else is concerned by the fact that so many caravans have been cancelled for 2015.
why is this happening ????
we love the caravans and were shocked when we got the latest blue beret.

please let us know if any of you know why !!!!!!!!!!

thank you
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We were scheduled to do the Mardi Gras Caravan but got notice a month or two ahead of time that the camp ground had been quote "vandalized" and would not be up and running in time for the caravan. It was too late to secure another campground. I'm assuming that most are cancelled because of lack of interest.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Usually they are booked a year in advance with a waiting list, at least in the past. Peace, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
For the record, the venue for the Mardi Gras Rally (not caravan) was "vandalized" by the State of Louisiana removing all of the hookups, permanently.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yea, caravans and rallys are two dif things. But you can caravan to a rally or start a caravan from a rally. Why did the state dismantle the campground? Peace, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I just looked at 2015 schedule and although a number have cancelled there are also a number that are "stand-by" only. My guess would be some are cancelled do to lack of interest, an issue with the hosts and or such as LA, where the state changed the campground.

Never been to a rally nor a caravan, our "senior" members in our club rave about caravans, but interesting no new member has ever been on a caravan and by no means have all the senior members - guess it's a personal decision to commit so many days traveling with a large group and group functions. My wife and discuss often as to whether give it a shot or not, so far we both agree, not.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We are newer members and concluded that caravans do not fit what we want to do with our Airstream. Our Unit has some great Rallies(Rallys?) and that sort of camaraderie is what we like. We looked at several caravans and went "nah". Too long, too much dry camping, too much of a commitment. I know the history of caravans, but for us, it is just that...history.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We have "rallied." We have camped with others. We're traveling full time mostly alone. Even though the Mardi Gras Caravan was cancelled, we also signed up for the Cajun Caravan that begins in a few days. We've heard great things about it. We're also joining a rally in Texas on our way west. Variety is the spice of life for us. We'll try anything once. I think you need to try things like caravans before completely dismissing them.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
In our cancellation notice of the Mardi Gras Caravan the word "vandalized" was used without further explanation. The above told us at the Canopener in January that that was not completely accurate. He stated to us that the campground was originally a FEMA campground put together for the victims of Katrina. He stated that the government no longer felt the need to maintain it so dismantled it. The caravan couldn't find a another campground at such short notice.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Love the caravans and have been on quite a few. I do not know the specifics of the currently cancelled caravans but I can say that canacallations generally occur because of a shortage of or change in leadership or because it is a somewhat odd or new caravan that has not really caught on. Something like the fly/drive Alaska would be great if you are interested but many do not go because they can not take their Airstream and it is farily expensive to rent a RV there. We were signed up for Nor by Nor east when it was canceled due to a serious illness of the leaders. It now has new leaders and a waiting list of 70 or so for every caravan though 2017. We were on the Rocky Mountain caravan when it was cancled due to leadreship illness. It came back the next year with new leaders.

If you want to go on a caravan the thing to do is pick a couple you might like and sign up for them way in advance. You will probably still be on a waiting list if it is a popular caravan. But we have moved though the waiting list on 5 caravans now and ended up going on them. You put up your deposit and then get it back if you do not make the list or decide not to go. that is one reason you have a good chance of making a caravan even if you are on the waiting list at first. People are on several lists sometimes. And if you do not make the caravan the first time but are on the list you get priorty on the caravan the next time.

The leaders of these caravans work for nothing and put in a whole lot of time and effort. Having viable caravans that go everytime depends upon having a lot of great volunteer leaders. For us the caravans have been a good experience. but I have seen people that went on one and then did not do it again. Perhaps they are not for everybody. And probably one is correct to worry about the future caravans. The club has dropped from 30,000 to 5,000 or so memberships and Airstream is not running caravans any more. The age group for participation is fairly narrow so people only can go on caravans for the most part for a 15 year or so window of opportunity. I can see where caravans might lack a critical mass of leaders at some time in the near future.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
My wife and I have been on 2 WBCCI caravans. Last year we did the Alaskan Caravan and would not trade the experience for all the money in the World. Since my wife has retired we plan on doing more caravans.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Caravan concerns

Interesting thread......
Have never gone on a caravan, but have been interesting in them. Time will tell if we actually go or not. Most seem to run in the spring and summer and that is the time we like to be home. We are actually on the wait list for the Nor by Nor-East caravan right now, but the timing of it is middle of summer and in the end it might not work for us.
We have even been thinking of just doing the same trip as the caravan, but do it in the fall. When the leaves are changing and many of the tourists have gone home.... We have travelled the east coast before and fall is by far the best time to go. Wonder why they don't run the caravan that time of year?

Oh well it will be interesting to see what happens moving forward

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-01-2015, 12:19 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
We have travelled the east coast before and fall is by far the best time to go. Wonder why they don't run the caravan that time of year?
Who is this "they" of whom you speak? Every existing caravan started out with someone saying, "Why don't they go to…?" Then that person decides to organize the caravan themselves and get it in the schedule. In other words, "you" ARE "they." If you want it, make it!

So, do as you said, and make the trip by yourself this year. And at each stop, ask your hosts, "If I was to lead a caravan here next year at this time, how many campsites do you think would be available?" Get a rough idea of the logistics— starting point, stopping point, intermediate stops, activities, approximate cost per Airstream (cost per couple as a base, reductions for singles based on per-head admission to activities, and incremental increases per person over two). Ask your host at each stop how far in advance you need to make reservations to ensure that you have a block of campsites large enough for the size of the caravan— the smallest block of campsites available at any campground dictates the maximum number of RVs in the caravan. Knowing the longest necessary lead time allows you to set a cutoff date for caravan reservations.

Then once you have your head wrapped around the logistics, you can get your WBCCI Unit to sponsor the "Fall Colors Caravan" (or whatever you want to call it) and get the caravan listed in the Blue Beret so that interested parties can make their reservations in time for you to get a head count before you have to finalize the campground reservations. Basically, given the publishing lead time, starting to organize the caravan during your solo trip— i.e. a year in advance— is not too soon.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Wow at what point did I make it sound like I was complaining about anything? I simply stated that the Caravan's normally don't run at a great time of year for our liking and as a result we were considering going on our own in the fall. Further I questioned why they did not run in the fall as the logistic (as you put it) would be much easier. At no time did I think I was going to get a lecture about the logistic of organizing a caravan.....sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Who is this "they" of whom you speak? Every existing caravan started out with someone saying, "Why don't they go to…?" Then that person decides to organize the caravan themselves and get it in the schedule. In other words, "you" ARE "they." If you want it, make it!

So, do as you said, and make the trip by yourself this year. And at each stop, ask your hosts, "If I was to lead a caravan here next year at this time, how many campsites do you think would be available?" Get a rough idea of the logistics— starting point, stopping point, intermediate stops, activities, approximate cost per Airstream (cost per couple as a base, reductions for singles based on per-head admission to activities, and incremental increases per person over two). Ask your host at each stop how far in advance you need to make reservations to ensure that you have a block of campsites large enough for the size of the caravan— the smallest block of campsites available at any campground dictates the maximum number of RVs in the caravan. Knowing the longest necessary lead time allows you to set a cutoff date for caravan reservations.

Then once you have your head wrapped around the logistics, you can get your WBCCI Unit to sponsor the "Fall Colors Caravan" (or whatever you want to call it) and get the caravan listed in the Blue Beret so that interested parties can make their reservations in time for you to get a head count before you have to finalize the campground reservations. Basically, given the publishing lead time, starting to organize the caravan during your solo trip— i.e. a year in advance— is not too soon.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
We are signed up for the Ores Shores Waters and Lights Caravan this fall, and it's full. Some caravans are a hit and others are not. And Protagonist is correct, the 'they' is any member of the club. If you have a great idea for a Caravan, then get involved and host it.

Also remember the Caravans make no money, they run at cost, in fact most give you money back at the end.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #16
Jay Thompson

2009 34' Classic
Tallahassee, , Florida
We have been the co-leaders of the SW Adventure Caravan for four years (2010-13) and will again be co-leaders of the caravan starting in 2016. We also have been participants on 17 national caravans and many Unit caravans. Obviously, we are retired and enjoy caravanning!
Caravanning has provided us with close friends all over the country while seeing places and having experiences we would not have found on our own. This year we have been on the Georgia Plantations caravan and will be on the Ores, Shores, Waters, and Lights Caravan in August.

The reason(s) for the four caravans being canceled in 2015 is that two caravans (Golf-N-Around and Fly/Drive Alaska) did not have sufficient folks interested in going while leader illness required cancelation of the other two (Lewis and Clark and Where da Heck).

Highly popular caravans normally have at 12-18 month waiting list, so be prepared to sign up early and plan in advance. As co-leaders of the SW Adventure, we took 30 rigs each year and one year had two sections. We also had 20-30 folks on standby, many of whom would get on when others had to cancel for various reasons. The 2016 SW Adventure Caravan currently has 7 rigs signed up, so there are 23 vacancies today! Contact thompsojay@gmail.com for information.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jaydthompson is offline   Reply With Quote