Old 08-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Canopener Maps

A couple of people have visited the RSVP page and noted their reservations since I last updated the maps. The campground maps have now been updated and are ready for viewing.

If you haven't gone to the RSVP page and registered with the rally, please do so. Make sure you provide your site number and the first names of the people attending so we can make name tags in advance as well as have an accurate count for planning purposes. We love to see the campground map covered with silver trailers.

If you don't have a reservation, keep trying. From September up to the rally date we typically have cancellations as people's plans change. As others have mentioned, be patient and keep checking. You'll likely get in. In addition you can stay at a nearby private campground or state park and drive over for the rally. Finally, each year we typically have a few people who stay in the rental cabins at Topsail.

Links to the rally RSVP page and the campground maps appear below.

Rally RSVP Page

Map Sites 1-91

Map Sites 101-168

TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 PM   #128
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
Greetings Canopeneans,

We are now winding down to 4 months and change before the big event called the Canopener 2017. The sites at Topsail have been booked for months now so those of you who are waiting in the wings to pounce on a site when as AWCHIEF says, “the silly season begins”, just be patient and something good will open up. When that happens, Florida 55 will be up to his WD bars changing the maps.

The schedule is being worked on but for now it appears it will be close to the same for the main events. Chili Friday at noon along with the now infamous Cornhole Tournament, breakfast with the ranger and hike Saturday morning, open house of trailers Saturday afternoon, entertainment in the clubhouse Saturday night, coffee and farewells Sunday morning.

CHANGE IS COMING

It has been brought to our attention that there are some issues with serving alcohol like we have in the past. For this reason, Margaritaville during cornhole, Bloody Saturday during open House and the spiked coffee bar Sunday morning are going away. This does not mean a dry Canopener this year. The park rules as written today allows alcohol in designated areas. We expect them to remain the same in 2017. You can read the rules yourself or check with the rangers if you have questions. That is all we have to say about that.

It has been suggested that we add activities like biking to Seaside, kayaking in the bay and possibly a private hike with the ranger another day besides Saturday morning. If anyone is interested in coordinating and scheduling these activities or any others, please get in touch with me.

Joe (AKA) "Noggin"

Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Well that sucks

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #130
To Gulls

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Pensacola , Florida
Campsite Search Engine

I'm with Keith re: cocktails at Canopener. Oh well, that is what they make reuseable Starbucks cups for !!!!

Hey, I've found the coolest site for finding campsites! Checkout Wanderinglabs.com! You enter the campground name where you'd like to stay and the dates and they have a search engine that is constantly checking the Reserve America reservation system and when a site becomes available, they will email you! LOVE! What a GREAT idea, huh? If you're hoping for a site to open up, which they will, register your request with Wanderinglabs and you'll be immediately notified!

See you all in January (with my Starbucks cup)!
2008 White Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
"There is no present like the time."
To Gulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The staff has been very tolerant of our rule breaking for years. Hard to get upset now that the rules are being enforced, if that is the case. Something tells me the party will go on as always maybe just a bit less obvious. This is a very resourceful group of happy campers.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #132
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The staff has been very tolerant of our rule breaking for years. Hard to get upset now that the rules are being enforced, if that is the case. Something tells me the party will go on as always maybe just a bit less obvious. This is a very resourceful group of happy campers.
I need a like button for your post AWCHIEF.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #133
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Well, as Baptists, DW and yours truly are quite resourceful at hiding what we are drinking!
2016 F250 King Ranch 6.7 4x4 Crew Cab "Tex"
Members, North Texas Airstream Community
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Canopener 2017

The canonical joke in Alabama:

"Why do you always go fishing with TWO Baptist buddies?"

Just one will drink ALL your beer.

Wet bars in Alabama homes always have a door on them, so when the preacher comes over for dinner, he does not see your bar. (Absolute truth. Had to design in a folding door on ours to sell the house to a local. )

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As the Rabi was explaining at my granddaughters Mitzvah "I hear beacon tastes bretty good". Maybe you should check with the Bishop.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #136
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
site opening

Judy and I have decided to head off to the south west and Baja this winter so our site will be coming available in the next few minutes. We wish everyone a great Canopener for 2017 and safe travels. Hope to see you all in 2018! Wow that sounds weird!
Pete & Judy
Old 08-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #137
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Madison , Alabama
Re: Site Opening

I was able to get the site being vacated by White Laker.

Stan
Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Following.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #139
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanp001 View Post
I was able to get the site being vacated by White Laker.

Stan
Awesome that an Airstream is going back in!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #140
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
Stanp001 enjoy

Really happy that someone from the forum grabbed our site. Please enjoy and have a great Canopener experiance. Judy and I retired two years ago and were suddenly hit with some serious health issues. We got through them and one of the things that we had on a very short bucket list was to attend Canopener 2016, which we did. We had a blast and I let my hair down a little too much but had a great time. It was one of those events that told both of us we survived some of the worse crap life can send your way.
We have a chance to head to the south west with some seasoned airstreamers and travel down to southern Baja. Again every day is a gift but Canopener is a special event to us. So we will again get up early on the reservation day and get ready for Canopener 2018. We will be there. Life is fragile and we have to do some planning but not too much. We met some great folks at last years Canopener and we look forward to next years get together. All the best to all involved. We will have a Margaurita for you folks when we are in Baja! All the best. Peter abd Judy