Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #381
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #382
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Panama City , Florida
Where's The Beef...I mean, the Map?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
...which was frustrating for all of us who had to make reservations in the outer darkness, only to find if we had waited, we could have snatched up a cancelled slot from the 103 without having to pay a cancellation fee for our other sight. Just sayin'...

-Red, not bitter at all...
Redmeister,

Please change the names on the event map for Site # 153. It is still Rum Runner but the occupants are Jose & Francesca.

And PLEEEAASE clean those windows. They are absolutely filthy.

R/ Jose
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #383
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
WHAAAAAAAAAAT??? Two months and some change out, and I am STOKED! Man, could I ever use a break from everything right now, but I gotsta wait... might have to slip a beach trip in here somewhere.

Had a few changes that needed to be made to the map. Added a few people, changed a few names to protect the innocent, and refrained from adding any more flamingos or goats...

If you see something incorrect on the maps, go and check your RSVP first, and if you have all of your info in the RSVP correct, don't hesitate to message me.

Link to the current Loop 103 Map:

Canopener 2016 - Loop 103

Link to the current Outside Loop 103 Map:

Canopener 2016 - Outside Loop 103

Link to the Rally Registration (RSVP) Page:

Canopener 2016 Link to RSVP

My beer brewing buddy is pulling the first batch of CanOpener Select Draft off this week, and we will be taste testing it shortly, to ensure that it meets the strict CanOpener standards... Will report back after sobering up.

^^^^^^^^^Does ANYBODY actually read this paragraph?^^^^^^^^^

-Red, loving life, and a few beers as well...
Old 10-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #384
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post

My beer brewing buddy is pulling the first batch of CanOpener Select Draft off this week, and we will be taste testing it shortly, to ensure that it meets the strict CanOpener standards... Will report back after sobering up.

^^^^^^^^^Does ANYBODY actually read this paragraph?^^^^^^^^^

-Red, loving life, and a few beers as well...

I did, and you better bring me something!

Tom
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #385
To Gulls

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Pensacola , Florida
I read ALL your paragraphs, Red! Can hardly wait - we're gonna have F U N !!!!
2008 White Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
"There is no present like the time."
To Gulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #386
1 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
New Port Richey , Florida
I just hope it is warm. Hate cold weather. Love beach walks.
Can't wait to meet up with all our friends.
SilverLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #387
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Red -
Of course we read your paragraph! Were giving you time to sober up.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #388
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
Rsvp

We are now in Site 117 (Harry & Bettye Butler)
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #389
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
I have been reading all the posts and look forward to meeting everyone.
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #390
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Two-ish months out! Whoop Whoop! Ahhh! So excited...So much to do...

I thought we would never get any closer. This is worse than waiting on Christmas.

Melissa - wondering if Red has sobered up yet
Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #391
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Dying essets

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #392
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I have it on good authority that site #89 will become available sometime after lunch today. If anyone is lurking, keep an eye out on Reserve America.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #393
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 19' Safari
2005 19' Safari
new iberia , Louisiana
Canopener

Do I need to call the park and try to get this spot are contact the ones who has it and get it transferred ? I didn't see know names on the map for that site.
stream lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
You need to call ReserveAmerica to reserve any spots.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #395
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
We are looking for a site if someone needs to let one go.

AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #396
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
I am scheduling the 2017 Rally schedule for our WBCCI unit. Does anyone know the dates for the 2017 Canopener?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #397
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Estill Springs , Tennessee
Where to go next?

We are new to Canopener and we are looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some warm weather (hopefully). We are also new to retirement and the ability to keep moving. We would like to continue trip after Canopener going either west or southeast along Fl coast. Does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds? I know I should have done this along time ago and sites are booking up fast.Not used to free time!
rjjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:19 AM   #398
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Going west I recommend Fort Pickens, a national park near Pensacola. The beaches are beautiful and Pensacola is a delightful town to visit. If you go to Pensacola be sure to visit the Naval Aviation Museum. Downtown Pensacola has some nice restaurants. There is even a food court downtown made up of several Airstreams converted to kitchens.

Further west, approaching Mobile on the causeway is Maeher State Park, just past Spanish Fort. There are some full hookup sites with beautiful water views. Spectacular sunsets over Mobile bay. From Maeher you can easily visit Mobile, the battleship USS Alabama, and the delightful small towns on the east side of the bay.

I have no experience with campgrounds further west along the Gulf coast in Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana. Hopefully others will provide some good recommendations.

If you go east after Canopener, take the coastal route. There are several popular Florida state parks with campgrounds on the coastal islands. Pick one or more to visit and explore. We've enjoyed our stays in every Florida state park we've visited.

About 15 miles west of Apalachicola, near the little town of Carrabelle is the Ho Hum RV Park, a modest private campground situated directly on the bay. There are 10 waterside campsites at the campground with spectacular sunrise and sunset views over the water. There are several good seafood restaurants in nearby Apalachicola. Definitely worth a two night stop if you can get a waterside site.

If you head west to St. Augustine on the Atlantic coast, try to get reservations at Anastasia State Park. The campground is close to a beautiful beach. Lots to explore in the St. Augustine area including the historic fort. Anastasia does have several sites that can't be reserved in advance so if you can't get reservations you might still get in.

North of St. Augustine on Jacksonville Beach, is Kathryn Abbey Hanna park (a city park) with a delightful campground. You can easily walk to the beach from the campground. There is much to explore in and around Jacksonville.

Going south from St. Augustine along the coastal highway, there is an Airstream Park (Land Yacht Harbor) at Melbourne. The sites are crowded but very reasonably priced for Florida during the winter season. I believe there are also some nice county park campgrounds in the area but I've never stayed at one.

The interior of the state has many delightful state parks with nice campgrounds. Some may already be fully reserved. However each park holds back a few unreserved sites so if you arrive early in the day without a reservation you might land a site. Look at Silver Springs and Payne's Prairie.

If you want to visit Disney World near Orlando I've heard the Fort Wilderness campground on the Disney property is nice but very expensive. I've never stayed there so I can't comment.

The further south you go in Florida during January, the harder it will be to get reservations this late in the year or find a drop in site at a state park.

In addition to state parks and private campgrounds, look for county and city parks with campgrounds. Some state and national forests have camping as well but the campsites may have fewer facilities and hookup options. There is a Corps of Engineers campground in south Florida (east of Fort Myers), but it is likely booked.

Fort DeSoto is a delightful county park at St. Petersburg. It is very popular and tough to get a reservations. There are beautiful large waterside sites. However I've known people who checked the reservations system daily and snagged a site, or showed up and lucked out on a last minute cancellation. When we stayed there two years ago, in peak season, there were a couple of empty sites on the water. Probably last minute cancels.

We've never gone south of St. Pete with the Airstream so I can't recommend specific campgrounds further south.

WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:36 AM   #399
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sunset isle rv park in cedar key, manatee springs state park in chiefland if you go east along the west coast of Florida. Farther inland is oleano state park north of Gainesville.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #400
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I just left Sunset Isle a few days ago, old timey mom and pop campground. Not many left like it. Currently at Grayton Beach State Park just west of Panama City in the old wooded section. No waste dump at site but nicely isolated and tranquil. Heading West there are many good choices. Previously mentioned Fort Pickins is one of my favorites, if military the Navy Blue Angeles park in Pensacola is a good option. Several good parks on the Alabama Gulf Shores area. Next is Mississippi. Fort Pickins sister park Davis Bayou is located in Ocean Springs. Next would be Buccanear State Park in Bay/Waveland (where Katrina actually hit and destroyed over 90% of all structures). Moving north is also one of my long time favorites Paul B Johnson State Park just south of Hattiesburg. Many fine camping opportunities all along the coast.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote