Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Bug'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie G
Let's suppose you could build your own rally. What would you include? What would you exclude?

We go to about 12-14 WBCCI rallies each year, and some are better (to us) than others. I'm sure you have your own ideas about what does (or would) make a good rally.

I'll start:

I would forget about a group breakfast at the crack of dawn. I have a breakfast routine every day. I do best if I stick to my own breakfast.

Who's next? You can list as many ideas as you want.
I'd like to add these to the already posted list
  • 1. Educational Seminar, pertaining to the repair or maintenance of A/S.
    (For example, a demo on how to correctly repack wheel bearings.)
    2. Contest for judging an exceptional unit, be it for the best original unit,
    restored unit, etc (your choice).
Just a couple additional thoughts..
I gotta have my coffee and English Muffins (Top'd with Horseradish Jelly~)
at the crack of dawn..
My challenge to whosoever is putting a Rally together is this:
You should strive to keep the cost DOWN~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:25 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm amazed at the rallys I go to that cost $10-$20 dollars for the weekend and they have breakfasts and dinners and snacks during evening entertainment, and all that for under 20 bucks? They do a really good job. But really I could feed myself, however it's the main socializing time, so I guess that's why they do it.

A little how-to would be fun. The best time I had at a rally last year was when my trailer's previous owner was there, and the folks next to me were restoring their trailer, so I said I would introduce him. We all ended up sitting around chatting about vintage AS for the next couple hours, and he even pulled out a rivet shaver and gave us a demo on how to clean up the olympic rivets I'd installed. A great time was had by all.

You never know what's going to happen at a rally, but so far they've all been fun, or at least memorable!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
Wow, y'all need to come to #150 (Coastal SC) rallies. We have sooo much fun. Many rallies have a theme - Hawaiian, circus, cowboy, etc. We've had hula hoop contests, juggling and dancing lessons, etc. Most night many of us sit around a campfire. Saturday mornings, the men always cook breakfast! We either have sausage, pancakes, and fruit or eggs and bacon or sausage. Nothing tastes better in a campground. Of course we also have attitude ajustment hour, and a dinner - either potluck or prepared by a volunteer. Sometimes it is hard to fit the activities in between all the eating! The weekends always end way too quickly and we always look forward to the next month.
Come join us!!
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I second 53 FC: some how-to's. Packing bearings, tighening lug bolts, rivets, polishing, fly fishing! A sharing of whatever the expertise is in the group. Probably everyone could learn a little and share a lot!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Sorry, Yes do away with breakfast at the crack of dawn if there is to be any campfire activities. I'm out at 9 in the evening if you want me up at 6:30 for vittles otherwise lets talk 9 ish for breakfast. Sounds like the Moraine View rally will be a lot like what is being descibed here.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
From my experience you don't need much formal organizing to get a "how-to" session going. Just show up with a problem and point it out to someone. Pretty soon a crowd will gather around your trailer with tools and advice, and voila! you're a case study for everyone else. I got a dozen new rivets installed and shaved at the last rally I went to, and it wasn't even my idea!

At another rally, I did an impromptu 5-minute Southern Shine demo, which was fun. Last month a fellow gave me a 5-minute Mother's Polish demo and showed me how he did his entire 28-ft trailer BY HAND with that polish.

I'll also vote for the campfires, but with a twist: try to get someone to organize a little music, campfire songs, or other group participation activity and make sure it has appeal for all ages! People with kids will come if there's more to do than just sit and chat.

And we love food, but there's NO WAY we are going to stay at the campground all day to eat, eat, eat. Breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner, ice cream -- thanks for all the food but it's more chattin' and chewin' than we want. We come to rallies to see and do things we can't do at home. We already know how to eat!

From our perspective, the most appealing draw of any rally is what there is to do in the area. We don't hang around the campsite much. Having options outlined to bike, hike, sightsee, shop, kayak/canoe, swim, and learn, really help offset the sedentary "sit & chat" aspect. That way everyone has a choice of what to do.

BTW, leaders of rallies don't have to organize off-campground activities, simply point out where they can be done in the area. We'll figure out the rest.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #27
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thats a 150 rally alright

I have not seen anything listed, short of the Mandolin, that the Unit 150 does not do...............
We have music, campfires, TONS OF TECH TALK, of course, we are fortunate to have Phred Sez in our unit, but if you are familiar with Phred Sez writings, they are usually compilations of other members input.
We have trips, info on local attractions, always great meals, plenty of cheer, kids, pets, We even had a pet costume contest, (now that was a hoot, you had to be there), we have ice cream, fishing, swimming, holiday events,
Airstream decorating contest, Did I mention a cruise? Thats right we have even organized a cruise to the Carribean (SP?) that is up for a repeat due to the the succes of the first one.
Something I find a little strange, it seems to me that the older folks in ur unit stay up later than most of us young ones.(no kidding). Very rarely do we repeat vsit to a campground, (at least not two times in a row).
And best of all, no judgement! if you dont get up for breakfast or stay out late ot you dont play cards or even attend Sunday Service, you are always welcomed and I bet you look forawrd to next month just as much as I.

I love this stuff!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
I have not seen anything listed, short of the Mandolin, that the Unit 150 does not do
Great! But, back to the question...what would YOU change (include or exclude)?

What about the days of the week when the rally is scheduled? How far are you willing to drive? What would make it even better?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #29
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Deja Vu

Quote:
I'll also vote for the campfires, but with a twist: try to get someone to organize a little music, campfire songs, or other group participation activity and make sure it has appeal for all ages! People with kids will come if there's more to do than just sit and chat.
Interesting, just minutes after I read this, I received an email from our unit President asking me to bring my banjo to our rally this month for an evening singalong and campfire on the deck at the RV park. I think I'll take my tenor guitar instead since it is more mellow and works well with a singalong.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:44 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
things not to have at a rally:
games that exploit animals or people
for example turtle races and beauty contest'

No to the crack of dawn breakfast that consist of weak coffee and sugary snacks, Yes to an expresso machine and a place to socalize and or read the paper in the morning. A donut is NOT a breakfast food.
Activities that involve the outdoors and Camping like hikes and bike rides and campfires and learning about the stars and roasting marshmallows and collecting flowers or fossils or pine nuts, or learning the names of the tress or plants or how to survive in an Airstream under any conditions,
Open house is always fun.
My perfect rally would actually be held in the woods .

I guess I want the emphasis to be on camping and other want to go in a differnt direction .
CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
It seems to me we have two "camps" here (pun intended ) - the campers and the travelers.

When we started with our first AS, we were campers. Always went to the woods and state parks, and had a campfire every night. We still enjoy those trips, but our main focus has changed.

After we moved from WI back to FL, we sold our AS and went on Caribbean cruises for vacations.

Now we've definitely become travelers. We bought an Argosy MH after several years without an RV. Now it's more about having a comfy home no matter the destination, and where our dog is always welcome.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am a member of both camps, as i suspect many are. I love the camping in the state parks, campfires..fishing..hanging out with my kids. But also we have really enjoyed the travel part--going a thousand miles in our little home with access to historic and scenic America..being able to sight see all day and return home to something familiar..our aluminum home, and our little dog comfortably waiting for us. Sure has been fun.
Even short day trips to green-way paths with the motorhome parked as our rest and lunch spot are extra fun now.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I have to say I love the traveling, our favorite time is when we drive to Colorado and camp at 10,000 feet at Molas Lake. We are camping in the finest private Lodge on the Lake even tho there is no electricity or running water around. But we are at Lodge Airstream and I just push a button and my genny cranks up and I get the weather channel over the satellite on my flat screen, okay regular TV, then I nuke up some half and half and make the froth for my Latte . And after a shower and fresh cloths I go outside and I am in the middles of the Rocky Mountains and there is bear stealing my trout line, so I just go back in for awhile, and watch a DVD on how to deal with unruly wildlife! This is camping at Lodge Airstream, it's been everything I dreamed of and more. And I have never met and Airstreamer that I didn't like. It just hasn't happened..
CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:14 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Maybe there should be more rallys of a specific nature for example : seniors , family's , full timers , families with children, sorta break em up find specifics for each demographic. your scheduling and activities will vary for each rally ... having different ralleys at the same location on consecutive weekends or week days what ever .fits the group or for 6-8 weeks and they groups can overlap each other ... and work the groups into segments of the month...have them every month alll summer and one day when work, home, children, spouses, repairs all get cought up then and maybe I'LL GET TO COME TOO...