Old 01-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Here's a website that lists most of the airshows in North America. From what I can tell, it's pretty comprehensive. The website is dedicated to military aviation, but it also shows the civilian airshows.

MILAVIA Air Show Calendar 2015 - North American Air Shows 2015

Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Well the Blue Angels will be in Virginia Beach September 19 and 20. N.A. S. Oceana backs up onto Holiday Trav-L Park, on General Booth Blvd. and you can see most of the show from there. Or get on the base in 5 minutes to the main gate. The RV park is nice but you always get "the sound of freedom" especially since almost all of the Atlantic Fleet Squadrons fly into and out of Oceana. Reservists during the summer too. And then there are "carrier quals" where pilots practice touch and go landings and arrested landings. Night carrier quals are especially dramatic - what little you can see.

On any given day there's a pull off spot on Oceana Blvd. just off base at the north end of the runways. When my nephews were little I had them standing on the bed of the truck waving at the pilots who were landing and taking off. They were so thrilled to get a wing waggle from nearly every aircraft. Got a couple of grand nephews who are now at that age. The pilots are very conscious of their role model status. (Oh and in case you don't remember, on April 6, 2012 a F/A 18 D crashed into a building of an apartment complex about a mile away from the base. NO ONE was killed by some miracle, and a disabled retired firefighter assisted in rescuing the pilot and navigator who stayed in the plane until the last second trying to get clear of the neighborhood.... so their consciousness of role model -is a lot more than "image".)

And if you go to NOB Norfolk, it's "impressive" to realize that one of the overpasses on the main road in is actually a runway. Gives you a moment's pause to drive UNDER a big cargo plane.

And the Thunderbirds will be in Seymour Johnson AFB in NC May 16-17
(Seymour Johnson - Bart Simpson would have a field day!)

Paula

Old 01-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Carrier Quals are best observed at a great distance, IMHO. I spent several deployments on an aircraft carrier, and believe me, it's total pucker factor every time a green pilot makes the final approach to your ship's rounddown, and looks a bit low....

We had almost as many accidents in Quals as we did in combat...

USS Ranger CVA-61 black shoe ship's company...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
NAS Oceana Blue Angels Airshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Hi All, not sure if this is the right place but curious if anyone has been to any of the major recurring airshows on the east coast in their Airstreams. (Sun N Fun, Osh Kosh, etc) Or any other smaller shows that we could attend and bring our Airstream too. Heck, even a hot air ballon rally. Mostly curious as to whether or not any of these places accommodate RV's with at least electric on site.
Every September Naval Air Station Oceana hosts the Blue Angels for a consistently fabulous show. The 2015 show is scheduled for Sept. 19-20.

The Blue Angels 2015 schedule is contained in:

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/media...owSchedule.pdf

There are lots of camping facilities within a very short drive of the air station.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Thanks all. I've been to most of the mentioned shows with the exception of OshKosh just never in an Airstream. We're definitely heading to Sun N Fun this year but haven't seen anything on their site about RV accommodations or even if they are allowed to park on the grounds. We can dry camp for sure though... providing they don't boot us. OshKosh's website did say that they do have RV hookups and some dump sites but just found that today.

We'll also be attending HeliExpo in Orlando (not an airshow but a convention) and staying in the AS at Disney's Fort Wilderness.

Thanks to whomever it was that mentioned Beaufort and Greenville. Those would both be close(ish) for us.

Keep the ideas and events coming if anyone knows of others!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Portland , Oregon
For the record, Oshkosh does have some electric/water hookup sites (with sewer via pump truck)...I stayed in one for the duration of AirVenture 2014. That said, dry camping is the predominant option at Camp Scholler. I've done OSH a half dozen different ways, and I think camping is by far the BEST way to experience AirVenture.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #21
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Oshkosh does have water and electricity, but you have to reserve the sites as they are all gone by the week before the show. The show is always a week long beginning the last Monday of July. There is a small park within the grounds that also has sewer, but it is usually full of full time employees and longtime volunteers. There are 8 sewer dumps all in 2 rows as you leave the South entrance. Drinking water is available while you are in line to dump. The best thing to do in look up EAA or AirVenture on the web. If you join EAA you can get large discounts and you must be a member to camp at Camp Schroller. They never run out of dry camping sites sites. They just buy up more farm land. They do have sewer evacuation service by reservation. Also, some years Good Sam plans a rallye there during the week long event. Some years WBCCI sponsers a rallye. Since there is something going on all the time you will have a blast. This year they are going to have the first B-52 on display ever. Most years bring 800 airplanes, 800,000 spectators, and 40,000 campers. Admission for the week includes a free pass to the museum. It is one of the most complete general aviation museums in the world. I would not miss Oshkosh/AirVenture. I have camped there almost every year since 1989 in 3 different trailers. One year we had 24 campers in or family/friends site. That is really fun.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Don't think we'll be able to make OshKosh this year either unfortunately because of other travels but knowing there are facilities available makes it officially in the list for 2016! We are an aviation family and the fact we have yet to go is a shame. I read they are also going to be debuting the now second operational B-29 nicknamed "Doc" providing all goes well.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Oceana

Laura Anderson coming in on 23R

Virginia_Beach_IDAA_2015_07.11.2014-19 by Fantinesvoice.com, on Flickr

Big:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantin...52725/sizes/o/

One can watch these all day long as far as i know....
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Oshkosh does have water and electricity, but you have to reserve the sites as they are all gone by the week before the show. The show is always a week long beginning the last Monday of July. There is a small park within the grounds that also has sewer, but it is usually full of full time employees and longtime volunteers. There are 8 sewer dumps all in 2 rows as you leave the South entrance. Drinking water is available while you are in line to dump. The best thing to do in look up EAA or AirVenture on the web. If you join EAA you can get large discounts and you must be a member to camp at Camp Schroller. They never run out of dry camping sites sites. They just buy up more farm land. They do have sewer evacuation service by reservation. Also, some years Good Sam plans a rallye there during the week long event. Some years WBCCI sponsers a rallye. Since there is something going on all the time you will have a blast. This year they are going to have the first B-52 on display ever. Most years bring 800 airplanes, 800,000 spectators, and 40,000 campers. Admission for the week includes a free pass to the museum. It is one of the most complete general aviation museums in the world. I would not miss Oshkosh/AirVenture. I have camped there almost every year since 1989 in 3 different trailers. One year we had 24 campers in or family/friends site. That is really fun.
Agree with all of the above (I've been there 3 times in recent years) but would add that if you want a close in camping site you need to arrive several days prior to the start of the airshow, i.e. the show starts on a Monday and you need to arrive the prior Thursday or you will be way out on the "South 40".
Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
The Abbotsford Airshow has RV camping (with absolutely no hook-ups). In other words....it's HOT!

But, if you can stand the heat without air-conditioning, it's usually a pretty good show. 2010 was one of my favourite years. The aviation rag I used to write for sent me there to do a story on the Lancaster bomber. It was quite an emotional weekend. I talked to people who never go to airshows, but went that year because....."I wanted my kids to see the airplane their grandfather flew." Or, "My brother died on the Lanc. I just had to be here." Her brother, and thousands others were Canadian kids right off the farm. The average age of a Lanc crew member was 18!

I also talked to people from the other side. One elderly German farmer said the Lanc brought Germany to its knees. He had also lost loved ones.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #26
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Oshkosh

[QUOTE=StreamNTyme;1566971]. We found something much nicer with shade trees, W/E and easy access to the show.

OK... Where is this "much nicer" place?

Inquiring minds want to know!

We're planning on going this year for the first time with our A/S.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
It is a small campground near the seaplane base..so you can bike over (only 1 mile) and take the shuttle the rest of the way...easy ...no getting involved w traffic as the busses go in a separate way.. shuttle to the outlets too..
takes about 10 minutes..
We had a site backed up to a great lake view directly across the road from the owners home...shade trees, picnic table and no traffic, good laundry and bath house. Saw a double rainbow over the lake..
Worth every penny we pd. We stayed the whole week.
This was our 4th time...I really hate to give it away..
but enjoy...Kalbus Campground...tell them we sent you...
Old 01-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Come to Hamilton Ontario on Father's day. The Canadian Warbird Heritage Museum puts on a spectacular air show. It is heavy with WW2 vintage planes but has lots of modern stuff as well. The Snowbirds put on an awesome performance of precision flying. I don't know about the camping amenities but the show is worth it.