Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
2009 Southern Rockies Boondock Rallies?

Anyone planing or up for a boondocking Rally in New Mexico or Colorado this summer?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I take that as a no.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I looked at the FCU site and discovered that they're apparently not doing the Lizardhead Pass boondocking rally this year. Or at least it's not on the site yet.

There are a couple of other rallies on their site, but they don't appear to fit your timeframe too well.

Southwestern Streamin’ » Rally Schedule

Lynn
Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Rodney- don't give up so soon! If you keep this thread up for the weekend, you might get more replies. I, for one, might be interested in one! Boondocking is nice, but another option would be, just for example, camping at Hooper Hot Springs- it is located right near Sand Dunes Nat. Park, and has a nice geothermal swimming pool with snack bar on site! I'm sure others here will have some great ideas- give it some time! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Rodney

What is your schedule? We haven't come up with too many ideas for places like Leadville or Lizard Head Pass. Our next rally is the Restoration Rally @ Albuquerque on April 24-27. After that we have a joint rally with NM in June and then a rally at Heron Reservoir, near Chama in late Sept.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpound View Post
Rodney

What is your schedule? We haven't come up with too many ideas for places like Leadville or Lizard Head Pass. Our next rally is the Restoration Rally @ Albuquerque on April 24-27. After that we have a joint rally with NM in June and then a rally at Heron Reservoir, near Chama in late Sept.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
Looking at May and early June in NM and CO after that. I want to cover southern NM, where I have never been, first and work north.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Rodney;

If you go on the WBCCI website and look up the New Mexico link, under their rallie schedule you will find the one to be held in June. It is a little bit northwest of Albuquerque and it is a drycamp. Take a look at that. There will be some of the 4CU folks at that one and it might work for you. If you get the Blue Beret it should be in the April issue.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney, I think there's a possibility of an FCU rally in Durango this summer. Contact azflycaster to see what's happening.

Any new news on your sag?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I wonder

I wonder if a rally in the Summitville area (due south of Del Norte, CO) would be a possibility?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
There is no place to boondock at Summitville as there is an active mine there that has been the recipient of Super Fund money to try and do something with the heavy metal that completely killed the small creeks draining the area. What is available and quite scenic is several boondocking sites on the road to Summitville out of Del Norte. The road is paved for a number of miles and then turns to forrest service road as it ascends up the side of a creek. Near the top are several places that you can get off the road and boondock overlooking that creek which is now far, far below. It is a beautiful place. We've boondocked there a number of times in the past.

On the other side of Southfork and slightly up Wolf Creek Pass is another road which also leads to Summitville that has numerous boondocking sites along that creek. The first sites are on the left not far up the road after turning off Hwy 160 in a beautiful area near solid rock walls on either side of the canyon. Further up the road, there are a number of additional sites on the right side of the road down near the creek in a large vally where sightings of game are numerous.

There are boondocking areas all around the South Fork / Creede area. If in the Creede area be sure to attend one of the Creede Theater performances. I've been to a number of productions here and there and the Creede Theater productions have been my favorite of all time.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Club is having a boondocking rally in Laramie Wyoming, if you don't mind driving a little farther. This group really puts on a great vintage airstream rally. Our first was in 2007. We are going again this year.

index
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote