Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Dewey , Arizona
What years are correct" 1960 or 1964

Originally Posted by Macfrodge View Post
The dates indicated on the captions then are incorrect. They are dated as being taken in 1964 - should have been 1960 then I guess.

You can also purchase a framed photo from Time-Life as well. Here's the link to the Russian caravan photos - just click on any one and the info to purchase a photo will be on the right-hand side of the page.

russia caravan source:life - Google Image Search
The picture I entered was the tail end of the African Caravan group in the Soviet Union. That is 1960.

The Around the World Caravan (ATW) began their Caravan in 1963. By the time they entere the Soviet Union it was 1964. The 1964 year is correct for the pictures posted in the Time-Life grouping.

It just shows that Airstreams couldn't stay out of Russia.

Pee Wee

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Dewey , Arizona
Historical Documentaion and other such things

Originally Posted by 53flyingcloud View Post
Small details but, just wondering..
How was the registration for all of these vehicles handled?
Did they use the same license plate from South Africa, all the way thru Russia, etc?
Were the VIN numbers of the Airstream trailers preserved in any way unofficial or official records~?(By Airstream maybe? since it was a company sponsored trip?)
While we are on the oversea subject...What ever became of those Airstream trailers used on the China Caravan lead by Wally?
Just a few questions that have never been answered in my mind..
If You have the answer..?
In traveling in foreign countries you retain your license plates from your country of origin. If you wish where the vehicle is registered. You have international paperwork called a "Carnet". The carnet is an international driver's license for your vehicle. As a driver, you will also have an international driver's license. The names and documents may have changed, but the indentification of you and your vehicles is necessary in overseas travel.

You need to talk to Fred Coldwell regarding vin numbers. I believe that the records from the California plant were lost, trashed, or other and don't exist today. As to the records at Jackson Center, I don't know. They may be more complete.

Because of the "firestorm" in the VAC group for tracking the history of their Airstreams you might consider a current archieve.

It is never too late to create a central file. A picture of your unit. A biographical sketch of the owner. Historical documentation of your WBCCI number, your vin number, and knowledge that you have about previous owners, units, and just about anything that will create a historial file on your Airstream.

Joe posted some letters from his parents. The logical step is to tie these letters in to a vin number, if Joe knows it, and specifically to his parents WBCCI number.

Just some thoughts to maintain history.

Pee Wee

PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Pee Wee,
Excellent info~!
I never knew the intricacy of just how it was all handled. I once had an international license, back in the 60's..
Still, I am sure thankful for your sharing of this knowledge.
What amazes me is sheer scope of the details back then for each trip..And, no computers to help either~!
Yep, you hit the nail right on..Even tho, in my case, I am the 2nd owner of my now to be vintage unit..(this hope that's not the end for it'..
I do have all of the original sales paper, etc. As well as, close, personal knowledge of it's previous owner.
He served under my grandfather during WW2 and, I was, as a child, at the same base in TX., as well..(Naturally..)What a small world..? We're both members of the same Fraternal order. We both have an interest and, have our Ham Radio licenses. etc.
Of course, let's not forget the Airstream connection as well...Even have a handle on his old WBCCI numbers that are just barely visible on the unit.
That's a great start..
Thanks again for sharing..
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
So ....The clock is running - lets do ot aigain in 2012! I'm serious.

"All that is mine, I carry with me." Cicero
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote