Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Rock Guards, Segment & Window Protectors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
visibility thru Window rock shield

I have a 1963 Tradewind with the original corrogated fiberglass rock shield. The aluminum frame is good, but the fiberglass is uglied out.

Of course the fiberglass shield blocks visability through the front and back windows while towing, so I am considering the solar gray / black acrylic as a replacement.

The black looks cool, but I doubt if you can see through it while towing. Any technical advice about how dark is dark enough to look good, but still allows visability? If you can see through the windows, is the awning shade effect negated?

Thanks,
Mike Brumback
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome to the forums

My ’67 Trade Wind has never, in my possession, had a rock guard. Even with the curtains open, I have never seen enough through the windows to make the view worthwhile. My guess is that this is really a non-issue, so go for the coolest solar gray you can find.

Best of luck, and keep us informed.

As always, more pictures.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master
I have a 1963 Tradewind with the original corrogated fiberglass rock shield. The aluminum frame is good, but the fiberglass is uglied out.

Of course the fiberglass shield blocks visability through the front and back windows while towing, so I am considering the solar gray / black acrylic as a replacement.

The black looks cool, but I doubt if you can see through it while towing. Any technical advice about how dark is dark enough to look good, but still allows visability? If you can see through the windows, is the awning shade effect negated?

Thanks,
Mike Brumback
We tested a "back up" monitor leaving it on for over 3 weeks, wihout a failure.

The distance between the monitor and receiver was 150 feet.

If you install a rear view monitor on the trailer license plate, and hook it into the clearance light circuit, then it will be on, whenever the clearance and tail lights are on.

During the day, you can be selective, if you wish.

At night, it would always be on, as long as the trailer lights were on.

They work very well, and cost less than $100.00 at many places, such as Costco.

This would solve your "need to see" behind the trailer when towing, with ease.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Great idea, Andy!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Low cost back up monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
We tested a "back up" monitor leaving it on for over 3 weeks, wihout a failure.

The distance between the monitor and receiver was 150 feet.

If you install a rear view monitor on the trailer license plate, and hook it into the clearance light circuit, then it will be on, whenever the clearance and tail lights are on.

During the day, you can be selective, if you wish.

At night, it would always be on, as long as the trailer lights were on.

Andy
I am interested in learning more about low cost back up monitor options where else and how much? I was at a RV retail store over the weekend and was told the systems run about a grand.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
I was at a RV retail store over the weekend and was told the systems run about a grand.
That is not entirely correct. I was at Camping World yesterday, and saw them with prices ranging from $149-499. Maybe if they hard-wired the camera and monitor into the coach wiring, and had to rip apart multiple panels, it could be that much.
This one is $119:
Wireless Back-Up Camera System with Color LCD Monitor - Camping World
Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've started leaving curtains in the front and back of the trailer open while towing because I can see DRL's and/or headlights of following vehicles through the solar gray rock guard and windows.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I just had time to hunt down the specs for that one, it has a range of 19 feet. So, unless you have a Yugo, and are towing a Bubble, that won't work so well...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I just had time to hunt down the specs for that one, it has a range of 19 feet. So, unless you have a Yugo, and are towing a Bubble, that won't work so well...
Terry.

That is the same unit that we tested that worked at 150 feet.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You should be able to buy medium tint acrylic or Lexan 1/8 in sheet from you local home store for less than $20 that would be about like the original equipment sold on later model trailers. If you really want to see who is following you, the trailer mirrors are sufficient for most people. In the flat country, where yoou are from, people will pass you when they get a chance. I would not worry about slowing traffic down in Indiana. They have always blown by me when I drove there.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
There's an advantage to the narrowness of a vintage unit. My 8'6" Safari isn't that much wider than my Argosy but it sure makes a difference for rear visibility out the side mirrors!

I towed the Argosy from out East without a rockguard in place. The large untinted front window allowed me to monitor my rear as Mike is asking. It really only worked with excellent outdoor lighting or else after headlights were on. I'd never advise using it for a sudden decision to make a turn or traffic move. A good pilot (and Airstream hauler) always flys out in front of their plane -- situational awareness counts.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Glass protection / good visibility

I replaced the fiberglass protector with a 5/16, scratch resistant, dark tinted Lexan. Look at the front of any Airstream and see gravel/debris pitting. They call 'em wintow protectors for a reason. You have Corning glass? You want it protected. I wish mine was darker only because of the excessive light coming in and I am in the front seating area. As mentioned above, I have also found it a better driving feel when both front and rear curtains are opened and I can see thru to the road conditions behind. The use of rear viewing cameras, and relying on them for parking in close areas, is a good reason you see MANY Airstreams with mashed in rear panels. Use a person to marshal you in and out of tight spaces and don't ever be one who says "I think I can make it."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 Caravel & clouds.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	53159  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Andy
I saw one at Costco last Saturday that had a color camera and night vision for $79. It transmitted its signal in the 2.4 gigahertz frequency. It could be attached to the license plate frame or mounted on the trailer itself. I was tempted....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I saw one at Costco last Saturday that had a color camera and night vision for $79. It transmitted its signal in the 2.4 gigahertz frequency. It could be attached to the license plate frame or mounted on the trailer itself. I was tempted....

Jack
Santa (Jan) brought me the Costco $79 camera this past Christmas. The first one did not work at all and was exchanged for another. This one works, barely. The picture shakes and rolls. I have moved the antenna several times with little luck. Mine is mounted on the rear plate of my TV...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I did something like Melody Ranch: http://www.airforums.com/forums/496827-post466.html

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
Good ideas for use on flat windows but other than the newer wrap around shields, what other options could be use to protect the front windows on an Argosy?
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Spend the bucks

About the only thing for full pano windows - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nuet-9638.html. I did my own -- a bit easier than Gary's project since I didn't have to do the cut-down for the narrower Minuet body. There are still a few pointers I would add. Guess I should post there again ... some day.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It has been my practice to tow without a rockguard leaving the shades up in the front and rear and having a straight shot, though limited, view threw my rearview mirror. Being in the process of replacing my wing windows I don't want to go through that again, so I am breaking down and installing a rock guard. I have a vintage rock guard and replacing the broken opaque white plastic with clear 1/16" Lexan. 1/16" is very close to the thickness of the original. Tinted Lexan was not in stock in my area and although I could order it with the tinting and shipping charges would cost me 3x the cost of clear. As I want the rock shield as a rock shield the tint is not an issue and hopefully will still let me use my rear view mirror view through the trailer. I had to buy a full sheet of Lexan. Cost about $55. With the extra I will cut out the centers of my roof vents and make skylights and cut out a piece to cover my window next to my entry door to stick decals to. I'm thinking about one of those monitors though.