Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Towtector or Rock Tamers?

Hi there, off to spend more money!!! Anyone use either of these mudflap systems? I'm hoping to hear some reviews of one or both. Thanks so much.

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have rock tamers and have used them for 3 years. Great product.

I have read from others, that the "Hairy" kinds don't stop all the rocks. I have never had them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Rock Tamer User Here

I use the Rock Tamers - they do a pretty good job, only downside is I can't tell when the Hensley Hitch is in the "neutral" position when raising or lowering the tongue for unhitching...the RT mount covers the receiver so that there is no indication then there is no weight up or down on the shank.

The Rock Tamers are about 2" wide, so make sure your shank is long enough to accomodate the Rock Tamer mount without getting in the way of anything.

The Rock Tamers have a wide range of adjustability as far as the height and backset of the actual flaps go.

I understand that the Aluminum mount on the RT is now powder coated instead of chrome plated, The chrome plating on mine is deteriorated and there is substantial corrosion on the aluminum casting - doesn't look "new", but does not affect the useability in any way.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am not sure how old Dennis' unit is, but mine (also chrome) has bevels cut in it so it only requires about 1" between the receiver and the shank welding. IOW, about 1" of open real estate on the shank (receiver end) when installed in the receiver. Hope that makes sense.
I understand some of the older ones, the owners had to do some sort of mod to get them to fit on some shanks.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have the rock tamers, the one thing I didn't know was that my exhaust pipe is only about four inches from the flap. So far it hasn't been a problem, but it does get hot. Greg
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by justretired View Post
I have the rock tamers, the one thing I didn't know was that my exhaust pipe is only about four inches from the flap. So far it hasn't been a problem, but it does get hot. Greg
I installed an aluminum shield on mine which stands off from the rubber. Has proven effective on everything form 6.2 liter Escalades with exhaust out the back to a Duramax diesel with the particulate filter regeneration straight out the back. No rubber scorching at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oswego-20121026-00163.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	171362

Old 10-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Tavares , Florida & Trinidad Colorado
I've used the towtector for 2 + years and it does seem to keep the road tar and stone chips more at bay. (nothing really works perfectly) Because they are constructed like a broom, I think the air passes through without lifting it as much as a solid flap design might. They do take more than an inch of space on the hitch shank. Our anti sway hitch is an Equal-Iz-er, available with a longer shank option, which I chose so I can open my tailgate when hooked up. This allows plenty of room for any of these systems. I think the Towtector has a weight advantage as well.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have Rock Tamers.They are well built and do what they were designed for.No mods required with my Equalizer hitch.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC9833.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	422.2 KB
ID:	171376

I hope this photo comes out. Can't really figure out how to attach a photo. This gentleman has his Rock Tamer attached to his hitch, not his TV. Is this what I should do?
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, all the Rock Tamers attach to the drawbar or stinger.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Purchased the Rock Tamers about 4 -5 years ago and very satisfied. Make sure all bolts/nuts are tight or parts can move and scratch/dent your bumper. Well made and do the job.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Rock Tamer type flaps are good, but if you are counting on them to stop all the rocks on a trip like to Alaska, they are insufficent. You also need a flap in the middle that will prevent rocks kicked up by the front wheels of the tow vehicle from going inbetween the stock RT flaps and peppering the center front of your trailer.

In addition on a trip like that, you will also need some padding on the front of your trailer. The pad that Walmart sells for under sleeping pads works well, and is inexpensive.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Rock Tamers on mine. Some work involved to get it cut to fit and then punch the holes for the bolts. And my first trip I noticed new chips anyway on the banana wrap paint. (that I had just finished painting) Had them cut too long, so I think it was dragging on occasion and doing more harm than good.
All better now...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have found that 4" of space between the bottom of the flaps and the road is the best. Less than that, and I believe the turbulence causes small stones to fly around the flap. I also slightly tilt them with a forward slant. I think the airflow is better that way. I rarely get chips anymore.