Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Third Segment Protector

I notice some pitting on the front segment, below the rock guards and between the segment protectors on my Safari 28'. Is there a segment protector for that segment available? Has anyone else had a problem with pitting or road sand/gravel damage to that segment and has found a solution.

Thx.
kcbwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Search on Rock Tamers and mudflaps. It appears that from you comments and pics that you unit has been operated extensively on gravel roads.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbwil View Post
I notice some pitting on the front segment, below the rock guards and between the segment protectors on my Safari 28'. Is there a segment protector for that segment available? Has anyone else had a problem with pitting or road sand/gravel damage to that segment and has found a solution.

Thx.
Do you mean the panel below the very front window and behind the LPG bottles?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Third Segment

Yes, right below the window.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yes, right below the window.
Something you can easily use and replace when necessary, and at a reasonable cost is some 1/2 inch thick plywood.

Coat both sides with a "SLOW" setting fiberglass resin.

You can notch the bottom so that it fits over the A-frame.

If you have a rockguard, you can place the top edge of the fiberglassed plywood underneath the bottom edge of the rockguard, which will hold it in place.

Add a little cushion of some sort on that edge.

If you carefully measure and cut the plywood, you will really have 2 pieces. When one side gets battered enough, just turn it over for the other side.

Crude, but effective.

You could also paint it silver, to match the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Alaska Roads

I did purchase mudflaps prior to pulling our AS. However, most of the roadway from Ft. Nelson north, especially in the shoulder seasons, are sanded and graveled. In Alaska, u can tell its summer when the light stays on all the time, the salmon return home, the tourists show up, and the contractors tear up the roads, again, to be repaved. Even though I can live with the minimal damage to the middle front segment as it is, it will be a problem as long as we live here in Alaska. Also, I'd like to protect the metal as musc as possible from corrosion ( salt is mixed in with the road gravel/sand sometimes) and reduce maintenance/replacement issues.

So, I am hoping to find a way to protect the segment. If nothing else I'll have a segment protector built to do the job.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I did purchase mudflaps prior to pulling our AS. However, most of the roadway from Ft. Nelson north, especially in the shoulder seasons, are sanded and graveled. In Alaska, u can tell its summer when the light stays on all the time, the salmon return home, the tourists show up, and the contractors tear up the roads, again, to be repaved. Even though I can live with the minimal damage to the middle front segment as it is, it will be a problem as long as we live here in Alaska. Also, I'd like to protect the metal as musc as possible from corrosion ( salt is mixed in with the road gravel/sand sometimes) and reduce maintenance/replacement issues.

So, I am hoping to find a way to protect the segment. If nothing else I'll have a segment protector built to do the job.
Seriously, there are many post on the subject. I have not seen any "OEM Style" center segment protectors, but there are many post relative to "protection". Some are temporary for those "AK" trips and some are for everyday. Hit the search option in the blue bar, select the "radio button" for show posts and use THE GOOGLE search bar. Hit mudflaps and/or rock tamers. That will help. I will post some ( not so pretty) ideas for protection.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00118-20101104-1749.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	115321

As I posted on another thread, I have an issue with having the privilege of being able to use several different TV each year. This is my personal vehicle. I has a VERY low receiver height. I struggled with how to trim the rock tamers to work with this vehicle as well as "normal height" 4WD trucks and SUVs. This is the necessary trim of the flaps for the low vehicle.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois

Name:	IMG00119-20101105-1303.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	115322

This was the answer. It's not necessarily the best looking solution, but it works. I took the trimmed of material for the van and fabricated an "extension" up top. It not only helped with my variable vehicle issue, but closes up that missing link for rocks to get above the mounting bar of the tamers.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois

Name:	IMG00121-20101105-1304.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	115323

This view shows the reinforcements used to provide stability to the "add on" upper level. It is very sturdy and works well......although I wish it looked more slick and OEM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
We went up to Alaska this summer. Here is the link to the before and after of what we did to protect the front of our AS. We also used Rock Guard mud flaps.
We put on the protection in Dawson Creek, BC.
The Wandering Jews go to Alaska...

Removed in Edmonton, AB.
The Wandering Jews go to Alaska...

Got some chips and dings before and after the Alaska Highway.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote