Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
The $236 homemade Rockguard!

I could not justify to my wife the 1500$ US for a factory rockguard for our 1974 argosy....that would be more than we payed for the trailer! But i still had to find a solution as i didnt like the soft window protector that came with my trailer.

So, this weekend, i went and got a sheet of lexan 3/16 4X8 and with a few screw, washer and a aluminum cylinder that i cut into small peices....i found a way to make my own rockguard!

-i wanted it clear as i love been able to see inside the trailer and through the rear window when driving....it gives me a good view of the traffic behind me when driving.

-it is very strong...i could through a baseball right on it and the window would never be touch....

-monday, i should have time to finish the center peice....on hinges so it can be lifted to open the window!

-took a good 6h to make....figuring out a system and the shape of those window was the most complicated. next time...it would take perhaps half the time to make a set

should be interesting to see how it age in the sun. the lexan as a UV protection so hopefully it last a few years!

jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
NICE!

[/QUOTE]
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wonderful - and I love the color of your trailer!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Very nicely done. Looks professional. And yes, ditto love that happy color.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Only question left is does the tow vehicle match the AS color? If so it would be a real eye-catching rig!!!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tow vehicle is Black....

My daughter wanted a Lightning McQueen trailer so I got 28$ of rustolum paint and a roller and did this one weekend! Cheap and quick and no one believe me when I say I roll it on!

The Lightning McQueen sponsors and decals coming soon.... It s very flashy look in the street!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
love it. Many guys have rolled their cars that way...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyo View Post
I could not justify to my wife the 1500$ US for a factory rockguard for our 1974 argosy....that would be more than we payed for the trailer! But i still had to find a solution as i didnt like the soft window protector that came with my trailer.

So, this weekend, i went and got a sheet of lexan 3/16 4X8 and with a few screw, washer and a aluminum cylinder that i cut into small peices....i found a way to make my own rockguard!

-i wanted it clear as i love been able to see inside the trailer and through the rear window when driving....it gives me a good view of the traffic behind me when driving.

-it is very strong...i could through a baseball right on it and the window would never be touch....

-monday, i should have time to finish the center peice....on hinges so it can be lifted to open the window!

-took a good 6h to make....figuring out a system and the shape of those window was the most complicated. next time...it would take perhaps half the time to make a set

should be interesting to see how it age in the sun. the lexan as a UV protection so hopefully it last a few years!

How did you bend the material and shape it? I assume heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Airlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Lexan can be cold bend by hand as long as the radius is 100x the thickness of the material. So 3/16 thickness with a radius of 27+ inch ( curvature of airstream windows) .... It should be safe from cracking as the material isn't stress. It was very easy to bend once I had attach one part of it.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Great job!! Pure genius! Re the paint color, I guess you're not too concerned about the sun/heat in the camper? But a great job. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
You might consider the front window as well. Rocks, etc. Like to bounce many directions. It didn't look like you did a cover for the center window. Still just a safety and possibly saving you money in the long run.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I love creative innovation!

Nice job!

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Lexan comes in colors. I see possibilities!!
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #14
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Well done, excited to see your center hinged one!
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
Well done. Do you have mud flaps on the TV for added protection?
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Outstanding!

Did you screw it directly into the skin? Are the aluminum spacers sitting on the skin or did you put a rubber isolator? What tool did you use to cut the lexan?

Can you detail the process? Did you use a template (Luan perhaps?) and then cut the lexan?

Thanks for the share!

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 05-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #17
Curly LaJolla

1977 Argosy 24
Beaverton , Oregon
Very nicely done. I'll be stealing your idea somewhere down the line :-)
"What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"
Curly777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertimeUS View Post
Outstanding!

Did you screw it directly into the skin? Are the aluminum spacers sitting on the skin or did you put a rubber isolator? What tool did you use to cut the lexan?

Can you detail the process? Did you use a template (Luan perhaps?) and then cut the lexan?

Thanks for the share!

76 'Airstream Tradewind
it is screw to the window trim....that is itself attach to the skin so it s a much ticker aluminum attachment than the skin only. it does take a lot of force to screw into it. absolutely no way the attachment will ever come loose or unscrew.

I started by cutting larger rectangle lexan using a skill saw and a very fine new metal blade. the cut is clean and very easy. i then put the lexan against the window and screw it directly to the window without any spacer. i had the predetermined holes drilled in the window trim.

To screw the lexan..i first used a fine bit to make a hole....it s safe and dost crack...then, i increase the hole size as much as needed so the screw will never touch the lexan once i finish the installation with washers...

Once my rectangle was attach to the window, i simply use a black marker to trace the shape i wanted.... unscrew everything and cut to final shape with skill saw making sure i tape everywhere on top of the lexan to not make any scratch with the saw.

finally...reinstall everything with the cylinder spacer and the lexan is trapped between 2 spacer. using 3/16 thickness lexan...it became very clear after a few attachment point that the structure would be extremely stiff and solid. there is no give or movement....i can put all my weight and push on the rockguard and it barely give in a few mm....so i feel pretty confident it can stop any rocks.

i have some final trimming to do plus installing the middle piece. i might go ahead and add some small rubber washer between the washers and lexan to give it even more float movement for expansion/shrinkage during hot cold weather.

from the inside....you simply cant tell there is a rockguard... it s 100% invisible so i m happy about that...i like the panoramic view from the bed!

PS: your idea of using luan to make the proper shape would be very good...i should have though of something like this. i tried with cardboard but it was too flimsy. it s hard to use the lexan to find the perfect shape when you want to avoid any scratches....
Old 05-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
2012 28' International
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Lexan rock guards

Newbie Argosy owner here. I been learning and watching for months while working to get my trailer road worthy.
Great cost saving protection for the curved glass! I too have a 74 Argosy and I love to know what screws and spacers you used to attach the lexan?
Titansection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
My concern might be the inside getting dirty after even the shortest road trip. Is there enough space with the spacers to get your hand behind it to clean them?

76 'Airstream Tradewind