Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
Well done. Do you have mud flaps on the TV for added protection?

Old 05-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Outstanding!

Did you screw it directly into the skin? Are the aluminum spacers sitting on the skin or did you put a rubber isolator? What tool did you use to cut the lexan?

Can you detail the process? Did you use a template (Luan perhaps?) and then cut the lexan?

Thanks for the share!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

76 'Airstream Tradewind

Old 05-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #17
Curly LaJolla

1977 Argosy 24
Beaverton , Oregon
Very nicely done. I'll be stealing your idea somewhere down the line :-)
"What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?"
Curly777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertimeUS View Post
Outstanding!

Did you screw it directly into the skin? Are the aluminum spacers sitting on the skin or did you put a rubber isolator? What tool did you use to cut the lexan?

Can you detail the process? Did you use a template (Luan perhaps?) and then cut the lexan?

Thanks for the share!

76 'Airstream Tradewind
it is screw to the window trim....that is itself attach to the skin so it s a much ticker aluminum attachment than the skin only. it does take a lot of force to screw into it. absolutely no way the attachment will ever come loose or unscrew.

I started by cutting larger rectangle lexan using a skill saw and a very fine new metal blade. the cut is clean and very easy. i then put the lexan against the window and screw it directly to the window without any spacer. i had the predetermined holes drilled in the window trim.

To screw the lexan..i first used a fine bit to make a hole....it s safe and dost crack...then, i increase the hole size as much as needed so the screw will never touch the lexan once i finish the installation with washers...

Once my rectangle was attach to the window, i simply use a black marker to trace the shape i wanted.... unscrew everything and cut to final shape with skill saw making sure i tape everywhere on top of the lexan to not make any scratch with the saw.

finally...reinstall everything with the cylinder spacer and the lexan is trapped between 2 spacer. using 3/16 thickness lexan...it became very clear after a few attachment point that the structure would be extremely stiff and solid. there is no give or movement....i can put all my weight and push on the rockguard and it barely give in a few mm....so i feel pretty confident it can stop any rocks.

i have some final trimming to do plus installing the middle piece. i might go ahead and add some small rubber washer between the washers and lexan to give it even more float movement for expansion/shrinkage during hot cold weather.

from the inside....you simply cant tell there is a rockguard... it s 100% invisible so i m happy about that...i like the panoramic view from the bed!

PS: your idea of using luan to make the proper shape would be very good...i should have though of something like this. i tried with cardboard but it was too flimsy. it s hard to use the lexan to find the perfect shape when you want to avoid any scratches....
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
2015 28' International
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Lexan rock guards

Newbie Argosy owner here. I been learning and watching for months while working to get my trailer road worthy.
Great cost saving protection for the curved glass! I too have a 74 Argosy and I love to know what screws and spacers you used to attach the lexan?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
My concern might be the inside getting dirty after even the shortest road trip. Is there enough space with the spacers to get your hand behind it to clean them?

76 'Airstream Tradewind
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
Not enough room to put my hand, I done 2 short trip so far but no noticeable dirt. We will see after a longer time spend on the road and camping...
Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Memphis , Tennessee
rock guards

How much for a set .. shipped to Memphis TN?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Tavares , Florida
Did anyone save these images to refer back to later? They are no longer accessible other than the one that's used as a link on pinterest

It looks like Jonnyo has been off the grid for over a year.

Anyone try this yet?