Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 05:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Solar Rock Guard

I just purchased a new Rock Guard that covers the front windows on my 1969 Globetrotter. It did not come with any installation instructions. Any tips on installation? Does anyone have any photos showing how the supplied "T" shaped rubber latches are installed? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

We just got our rockguard from "INLAND RV" also with no instructions.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Andy,
You want to jump in here and help these people?
Old 08-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Well- I just got off the phone with a lady at InlandRv- not BEAR- who told me they dont have instructions- & the rockguards dont come with instructions! When I asked her why Inland would sell a product , such as a rockguard , why would there be no instruction? "Because thats the way their shipped! You can call Airtream direct if you want instructions!" Once again Great customer service at Inland RV.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

My rockguard is hinged at the top and installed above the window with a series of screws. It is placed so that the window is centered behind the rockguard. On the rockguard frame are indentations for seating the round portion of the rubber "T". The rubber "T" frame is placed directly below these indentations. The rubber "T" frame is secured by screws at a point that allows the rubber "T" to be stretched slightly to hold the rockguard in place.
Old 08-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We sell the products as we buy them.

We "DO NOT" teach mechanics 101.

Installing a rockguard is as basic as changing a tire.

Where does it say "YOU SELL IT, YOU TEACH ME??????????"

We get calls, on how do I install a pop rivet, how do I install a cabinet latch, and many such related questions, everyday. We also get calls from people who buy parts at Camping World, and want to know how to install it, or test it. That takes time, money and ties up our 800 number.

We don't know anyone, who will answer technical questions on a endless basis.

We are a small company and don't have the resources to "print" endless instructions, have an attorney OK them, and run them through consumer affairs. To not do so in "CALIFORNIA" creates immediate liability.

We sell a product, not services.

We don't mind helping, when we can and when we have the time, but there many questions our customer service girls are not going to answer. They are not trained to do so, and they will not be trained to do so.

Where do you draw a line, as to what instructions you should provide?

We feel that if Airstream makes it, they should, or, their customer relations department should.

WE do not wish to hurt anyones feelings, but there is a limit as to how far "any" company can go in providing answers and/or instructions.

Where do you draw that line?? We are more than curious.

To suggest that we don't care about our customers is "out of line."

Also where does it say we "must" answer e-mail questions, "NOW!!!!!!!"

We do on a time available basis, period. Some feel that we are their "on call servent." We are free to take time off, and not answer anything, if we wish. Working 75 to 80 hours a week is more than enough. We just simply cannot and will not meet the verbal demands of everyone. Being very ill for over 3 weeks, made no difference to the select few. They wanted answers "NOW."

How inconsiderate.

Our girls are ""NOT" here to be called "stupid, dumb, shouted at, screamed at" or anything such as that. But that does happen all too frequently, from some Airstream owners, who "DEMAND" some things. Doesn't matter to them, nor are they considerate of "anyones" feelings.

Totally uncalled for, unnecssary, rude, and very upsetting to our entire staff.

But somewheres I read many years ago, that when your in business, you are subject to critical treatment, usually without justification, just because it's so easy to put someone down, in spite of their efforts. Computers have certainly allowed the select few to have a larger bandstand.

I sit in wonderment, what would happen, if I decided to quit and destroy every mold, and every part we have for the vintage coaches?

We fill the need for many many parts, that are not available from anyone.

We do not nor do we attempt to, fill the need for mechanical instructions 101. Participate to a limited degreee, yes, but not to the point of "sky is the limit."

But then, perhaps it's time for me to sell the company. Any buyers out there?????? Willing to put up with harsh treatment, such as some of the above posts????? Ready to be a slave???

Defensive, darn right. I refuse to be someones "pin cushion."

If so, call me, and make me an serious offer I can't refuse.

Enough.

Andy
Old 08-16-2003, 01:37 PM   #7

Andy-

I have the feeling that the part in question is supposed to be a replacement, and is not meant to have instructions- just to be inserted the way the old one came out.

This hobby attracts people who fancy themselves as "doer's" who are actually talkers. Some have the knowledge and desire to get things done right, and some can't get off the couch. They don't understand the problems to be faced, and want the product to jump out of the box and onto their trailer.

In all actuality- they should be ordering the part and taking it to a shop- where the mechanics aren't much better off, but may possibly know how to squeeze a rivet gun.

Maybe a bit of explanation that the parts come with no instructions and are meant for professional installation. Instructions can't be provided because of the varying trailers the part may be installed on.

Don't be so sensitive- some have no life, and a sense of power and superiority behind the protection of a keyboard and monitor promotes them to a level that is dangerously stupid. Allowing that stupidity to affect you is ridiculous. Ignore them.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Andy,

While I understand being defensive of your business and time I belive a more polite response would have been to let the purchaser know that the instructions are available from Airstream and leave it at that.

If your business is making you feel like you are a slave, then maybe it is time to sell it and retire.

Computers and the web have made it easier for some to have a bandstand for their compaints, cheers, and everthing in between. I think you would have to admit for the most part the web and computers have benifited your business.

Whlie I understand you have made an investment in molds, warehouse space, staff and the like you were the one who decided to take the risk and be the sole source for many parts. You also reap the rewards of the efforts you made in this regard I know that when I do not have a choice in my supplier and feel unsatisifed with the purchase I feel trapped and do not like it. I do not think you would either.

Every business has the option of doing business with the customer. I do not do business with every client that I call upon. Some of them come from the same group you mention, demeaning, and demanding, with no hope of satisfaction. I know in the long run I will never make any profit on this type of client and politely tell them I will not be able to help, so sorry.

They sometimes come back, and usally with a whole new attitude.

In my experience the only way to make the customer happy is to manage their expectations. In the above posts purchasers expected instuctions. If you are not willing to provide them due to time, or liability concerns most people would understand, but on a purchase of that size had you told them that they could contact Airstream for instructions VIA a single sheet of paper, the issue may not have even happened.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-16-2003, 01:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I'll tell you what ANDY- the problem is & you know this- YOU have the market on Airstream vintage parts. You know it , & unfortunately Airstreamers have to deal with you. Your post above serves as a perfect example.

P.S- I'll check with my accountant & get back to you on a SERIOUS offer ,I'm sure I could employ individuals who care.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
I sit in wonderment, what would happen, if I decided to quit and destroy every mold, and every part we have for the vintage coaches?
What do you seriously think would happen? Do you believe the world of vintage Airstreaming won't continue without you? You found a niche market, get out and someone will fill that niche, it is the American way. You didn't create the popularity of vintage Airstreaming, you capitalized on it. Be realistic.

In the meantime chill out and learn to be civil. Your post is another tirade about how bad it is and how tough you have it, and for myself I have read it way too many times. You post generalized allegations about your employees being abused, time consuming personal directions being requested, etc. This in not the place to air your business problems. They should be taken up with the individual causing your problems, not here.

The one thing we agree on is 'Enough'

John
Old 08-16-2003, 02:56 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs down

What more can I say........
Old 08-16-2003, 03:04 PM   #12

Its easy-

Andy- do yourself a favor and start a blacklist-

I agree this is not the place to air your problems- but you're being attacked here so its understandable. Still- its unbecoming to argue with clients as it makes others weary of potential problems in the future. Send the crybabies their money back and sell to folks who understand what to do- you may lose some money, but you'll alleviate stress. Peace.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

The old adage "the best advertising is by word of mouth". That rule of thumb makes anyone running any sort of business think twice about not providing good service or reasonable prices to even the most demanding of customers. Peoples time & money is important to THEM.... if as a business, it is also important to you & you demonstrate this through your dealings with your customers, your business will reap the rewards of return business & favorable FREE- POSITIVE advertising...the best kind....by word of mouth.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:42 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
This thread is closed.

Remember threats and name calling will not be allowed.

Posts in this thread have been edited or deleted to conform with forum policies. If you have not read them lately click HERE
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Closed Thread