Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Deitz - the ones I have are I think called a T nut? Round head with a shaft and a T on the end. It fits into the "rubber thingy" mounted on the body and does a quarter turn to hold the segment against the body.
Gary,
Ah-Ha, The rock goards on my '06 are held in place with acorn nuts, but I think I now know what you and Becky are talking about. Are these it???

They even post this picture of a rusted one...

I found them at Out of Doors Mart...

TURN FAST.STUD 685358 [685358] - $1.99 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

I think I can also help Becky with the "rubber thingy". I think this may be what you are looking for...

And it can be found at Out of Doors Mart at this link...

RUBBER RECEPTACLE 685359 [685359] - $10.87 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

TAC PA-3
AIR #14487
WBCCI #7429
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thank you - yes that's the part. I'll call them to see if they have it in something other than "guaranteed to rust" material.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Andy
I notice in an above posted picture that the rub-rail has been added to the segment protector.
Is this necessary? Will the seg-guard not fit snug if placed over the trailers exixting front rub-rail?

Also one would have to split their existing rubrail to place it onto each seg-guard half. That would leave 6 exposed ends on the extrusions.(remember the middle section that would stay on the trailer) In the picture the cut end is closed with a stub-wedge type end filler piece. Surely those are not avaliable for the older styles of rub-rails are they?
And how many rubrail styles have there been?

Lastly I would not feel good if those snap-over fasteners were all that held such an expensive accessory as segment protectors on.

Oh and for the handy (real handy) somewhere on these forums there used to be a thread about making your own seg-guards.

I cannot recall seeing two out of fifty Airstreams that had any noticeable segment damage.
Front banana wraps dented yep probably 40 out of 50.

Someone should come up with a snap-on protector made from old carpet which could be stowed easily and used when off roading in a rock or gravel area.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Drummer,
Out of Doors Mart has belt line end caps for older trailers so I am sure Andy will also.

Search Results : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
TAC PA-3
AIR #14487
WBCCI #7429
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Segments

I had a number of dents in my front section so I also added Segment protectors. I was luck enough to find a set for sale directely from Airstream on EBAY for way below retail. There were three catches:

1-They were for a wide body (not really a big deal as they are fairly plyable and just have some extra space.
2-They were used and had (1) pre-drilled hole in them.
3-They only cover a portion of the Airstream panel. If you look at new trailers you will not that the Segment protector goes all the way to the window to protect the whole panel.

Given these three issues I thought the cost benefit was good. But if you want picture perfect you might want to consider new and Andy is great to deal with.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Andy
I notice in an above posted picture that the rub-rail has been added to the segment protector.
Is this necessary? Will the seg-guard not fit snug if placed over the trailers exixting front rub-rail?

Also one would have to split their existing rubrail to place it onto each seg-guard half. That would leave 6 exposed ends on the extrusions.(remember the middle section that would stay on the trailer) In the picture the cut end is closed with a stub-wedge type end filler piece. Surely those are not avaliable for the older styles of rub-rails are they?
And how many rubrail styles have there been?

Lastly I would not feel good if those snap-over fasteners were all that held such an expensive accessory as segment protectors on.

Oh and for the handy (real handy) somewhere on these forums there used to be a thread about making your own seg-guards.

I cannot recall seeing two out of fifty Airstreams that had any noticeable segment damage.
Front banana wraps dented yep probably 40 out of 50.

Someone should come up with a snap-on protector made from old carpet which could be stowed easily and used when off roading in a rock or gravel area.
The rubrail is on the segment protector. Your current rubrail stays in place and the segment protector goes over it. The units are hinged on the front with a piano hinge - so they aren't going anywhere. the connectors shown just hold it back against the side body.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Those are the rubber thingyies I need. I'm shocked at how much a little rubber thingy costs! And how much a simple little screw costs! Wowie cazowi.....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
any awards shop should have these in stock
Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROPHYJIM2 View Post
any awards shop should have these in stock
Do they use those to hold the trophy on the base?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Hey Andy, I'm looking for Segment Protectors for a 16 1/2' Bambi Sport.Do you have anything in the store for that? Thanks, Joe