Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Rockguard: Fix or Replace

Hey everyone-

I'm new to trailer RVing and just purchased a new to me 2006 AS Safari 25ft. Its a beautiful trailer and was meticulously maintained. As I was trailering home on the highway tire debris hit my rock guard square on the left side and left a really big dent.

Not a huge deal but it kinda bummed me out.

So my question is can I have this repaired and banged out to almost look like new or does it make more sense to buy a new rock guard all together?

What have others done in this scenario?

Thanks
Abj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy.. sorry for the hit... but, that is what they are for... to be sacrificial.

I would leave it.. use it until you can't stand it.. or maybe ready to sell one day...

Our AS is a 1999 and has over 80 'dings'/hits.. doesn't bother us...

We reduced the damage by using Rock Tamer rock deflectors..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
They are stainless steel and hinged so the can be swung open for cleaning behind them and dents pushed out. If it is not creased, it may very well be pushed out or even pulled out with a suction cup tool available from automotive stores.

If you travel much at all they will likely be hit again, the roads are full of junk. As Channing has pointed out, they are sacrificial...and expensive.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Every few years, I remove mine and use a body dolly to roll out the road rash. As said above, that's what they are for...they are sacrificial guards which die to save the front shell panels....celebrate them doing their job!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
To avoid confusion, the Rock guard is the plastic thingy that protects the window, the segment protector is the stainless thingy that protects the aluminum. You can pop a simple dent out or hammer out small impact dents but stainless is pretty tough stuff. A new set costs $800+.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
BTW, RockTamers drastically reduce the amount of damage to the guards and front of trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We wear the dents in our segment protectors (the lower, stainless swing out panels) with pride. If I could record where we got each one I'd label and date them like growth marks for the kids on our kitchen door frame. When a stone broke one of our rock guards (the upper, smoky plexiglass ones) two years ago, I replaced it. If there is a next owner of our trailer (it's not for sale) they can decide whether to spend $1,000 for new stainless.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Our 2006 23 foot Safari's lower 'rock guards, aka segment protectors' were frosted with sand and small stone impacts after 8 years. A dent or two dozen more would not make any difference to the two panels. It looked sand blasted, at best and is serving its purpose.

In 2008 I purchased a replacement left and right 'segment protector'. Obviously prices have gone up, since my purchase at Jackson Center. When I sold the 2006, I kept the pair in the event I wanted to replace them when I sell the 2014 International.

Everyone notices the pitting on the front of the two panels. Some of these panels do not fit well and the lower inside edge will catch and hold small rocks that could grind into your aluminum trailer panels. Look down from the top and check for rocks. They can 'drill' into your trailer panel(s).

This is the air space between the panel and your trailer's aluminum skin.

The fit will vary from one trailer to the next just from the factory installation. My 2014 has enough space for any stray rocks to drop out of the lower panel.

While you are at it. The frame from the hitch to the propane tank catch a lot of impacts and knocks the paint off the frame. I wrapped ours with duct tape to take these impacts. If you do not protect this area, it will begin to rust and pit.

Never too old to learn new preventative measures for our Airstreams...
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Retired paddler

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
BTW, RockTamers drastically reduce the amount of damage to the guards and front of trailer.
X 3 on the Rock Tamers. And yes the segment protectors are sacrificial. When they get to look like swiss cheese, maybe replace 'em and thank them for doin' their job
4mer Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy.. sorry for the hit... but, that is what they are for... to be sacrificial.

I would leave it.. use it until you can't stand it.. or maybe ready to sell one day...

Our AS is a 1999 and has over 80 'dings'/hits.. doesn't bother us...

We reduced the damage by using Rock Tamer rock deflectors..
I concur
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Emphasized ....RT will save you bucks in the end ...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Rock Tamers Forever

We recently put on Rock Tamers, and they do an amazing job protecting the Airstream. Our segment protectors were dented from previous travels around Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. The question now is to repair/replace them, or leave them as a badge of honor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	285389  
Overlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Fix them up and use them. Replace them to sell or not if your repairs and use don't kill them. Most important, go. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
My Rock Tamers

Rather than advertising for Rock Tamers, I had a guy cut these on a plasma cutter in stainless for $60 for the pair.

I agree they stop a ton of stones from hitting the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	285391  
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Big flaps on the TV are indeed a good thing and money well spent but they can't stop everything.

Hit a big, full grown gator at 65 mph. It banged around underneath from front of truck to rear of trailer. Caved in the wrap protector AND the panel behind it in the process. Able to suction out most of it in both pieces.

Then recently some sort of big chrome center hub cap looking thing fell off a car hauler as it passed, bounced up off the road, struck the same wrap protector at the top edge, also got part of the same panel just under the window. Once again the wrap protector did the job, I was able to suction out most of it. Luckily no damage to window.

I'm glad that protector was there and equally glad I had not shelled out the big bucks to replace it the first go 'round.

Worth repeating....the roads are full of junk. If you run the roads, the junk will find you.

Every dent tells a story.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote