Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
My brother in law has them on his big MoHo - and told me that he learned the hard way that if they're too close to the ground when in motion, they cause debris to fly up. One long trip and he had to have the front of his toad repainted because of this. It looked like someone had taken a shotgun to it.

He learned the flaps don't have to touch the ground; at highway speeds, the wind vortex generated by these guys causes gravel, etc. to fly around. And when it does, guess what it hits? In his case, his toad; in our case, the AS. He raised his flaps a couple of inches, and voila! no more chips on the front of his dinghy.

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #16

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Originally Posted by purman View Post
Has anyone used the grass style ones... I was thinking they don't seem like they would stop the rocks as well. but they sure look lighter.

When I am going to stay somewhere for a while I pull the pin on my receiver and with no weight on it drive out and leave it in the trailer. Then drop it from there.... makes for a quick disconnect and you don't have to deal with the weight of you equalizer till its time to hook up...
Got these at the beginning of this season. Could not be happier with how well they work and the quality.

Needed the 22" brush set for our 06 3/4 Burb.
No dents or excessive road grime at all in about 1500mi of towing. Much of which done on the backroads of the Adirondack Mtns. I also like the fact that they extend all the way across with no opening.

These fit the haha stinger. Although I did have to shave the the welds about 1/8" on my new 8" drop. They fit the 4" fine. So I guess it's just how agressive the welder is on that day.

ps. the orange shin'saver and Hitch'n stick sold separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOWTECTOR 003.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	65988  

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Hey Dennis, hope all is well. First, the "Rock Tamer" plates on each flap are just decoration, they really don't weigh much, they're very thin, they're through bolted, and are made of stainless steel so they should last a long time. You pay extra for this version but at the time I bought mine last spring from Cabelas this version was all they had in stock. The flaps are a heavy thick rubber that you trim to the length you need.

The other thing I've read on this thread is that some people still have rocks hit their trailer. I believe the trick is not to have the flaps too close to the ground. When they are real low, they can suck up rocks in the vortec effect which may hit the trailer. My flaps are about 3-4" off the ground and I am not seeing additional rock dings from the last trip. You also asked about the lateral placement of the flaps. The Rock Tamers are adjustable in and out laterally. The thing that seemed strange to me at first was that they should extend out a few inches past each end of the rear bumper. But if you really look at an imaginary line from the outside edge of a rear tire to the corner of the trailer, the flaps need to be out that far.

Hope this helps. I like them.

Russ and Linda
2010 Flying Cloud 25' "Camp Luckyduck"
2012 F250 Powerstroke 6.7
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #18
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I'm with Purman and HiHo about leaving the ball in the coupler and pulling the truck away from the drawbar/mudflaps assembly. As if the Airstream doesn't attract enough attention in campgrounds, you know people stop and stare at these Enkay RockTamers. I don't like driving around with the hitchhead sticking out, makes the truck another foot longer and could expose the hitchhead to damage. Darn, honey, we're staying here awhile longer. . .

Yeah, the Rock Tamers have weights built into the bottom already, and the chromey looking thing is just decoration. I wanted the girly pinup profile thing, my wife wanted a guy pinup profile thing. We settled for a piece of aluminum diamond plate we made and mounted on the weight just for decoration. Cheaper than Enkay's $35 or $40 for their prettier decorations.

Whose smarter than the product designer for a well-tested product? I wasn't. I thought I'd make my mudflaps closer to the ground. Remember tiddly-winks? I think I was popping the small rocks up to the front of my trailer. My Rock-Tamers are now regulation length.

Wider than the truck? Yeah, and even more might be good because my truck is under seven feet wide but the trailer I'm trying to protect is 8.5 feet wide.

We're super pleased with our Enkay Rock-Tamers to protect the trailer. Towed with them three years. No big stuff has hit the trailer yet, just little peppery stuff and apparently all from before I adjusted the length to the mfrs recommendation. (Being an Airstreamer, I was used to the idea the mfr had left a whole lot undone or questionable and we're supposed to fill in the gaps to our best judgement!) We'd buy these again.

Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote