Old 05-03-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Rock Tamer by Enkay

I recently purchased the Rock Tamer by Enkay and have found it to be a good product. I trimmed 4" off the top of the mudflap for proper clearance after hooking up the trailer. It is fully adjustable and really takes care of the rocks on the gravel road I travel. The unit shipping weight is 47 pounds and my complete unit weighed 43 pounds after trimming. Attached are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	6373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	6374  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	6375  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Craig -

Glad you like them!

I've had my pair for the past 2 years and couldn't be happier with them. I have a 4x4 that sits up pretty high and seems to throw a lot of rocks. I'd hate to think what my trailer would like like without the Enkays. (I set mine almost out to the end of the bars -- I see yours are set about 2" farther in -- its nice to have them so easily adjustable.)

John

Old 05-03-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I placed a string from the edge of the tread to the side of the trailer and figured that any rock thrown to the outer edge would be deflected by the mudflap. I figured that the farther it was extended past the vehicle the more wind resistance it would cause. This adjustment has worked fine so far.

Glad you have had good service out of your Rock Tamer also.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
looks good!

craig,

looks like a nice set of flaps!

here is the set i made about 1 1/2 years ago. mine slide right over the drawbar too.

you can see them here

john
Old 05-03-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Rock Tamers vs. Road Wings vs. Sport Guards

Glad to here a few of you have had good experience with the Enkay Rock Tamers. I've got a Hummer H2 on order that will be our tow vehicle and given the huge tires, very short overhang, and agressive treads that will throw big rocks, I know I'm going to need some sort of flaps to protect the trailer. Since we intend to do a bit of off roading (and just for looks) I want the flaps to be removable and the hitch mounted systems seem like the best way to go.

From research on the web, there appear to be three main choices: Enkay Rock Tamers, Roadmaster RoadWings, and Blue Ox Sport Guards. I have only been able to see the Road Wings in person (at Camping World) and was wondering how the others compare.

The Rock Tamers appear the most adjustible and the dually version appears to be the only ones on the market that would be wide enough for the Hummer (about 83" wide) without modification. But they are easily the most expensive, and I have wondered if there would be any problems with all of the set screws loosening due to road vibrations. I like to hear everyones experiences with them, good or bad.

The Roadmaster RoadWings looked pretty sturdy. It looked like it'd fairly easy to modify them to mount the flap out further than the 77" listed as the actual width. If I use the straight line principle mentioned above, however I'd have to set them wider than the Hummer's 83" width. I might have to have quite a few inches of flap sticking out past the ends of the bar. This concerns me a bit. Anyone have any experiences with these Road Wings?

I don't know too much about the Blue Ox Sport Guards except that their web site has installation instructions that imply that they are two halves that bolt together. This could be a good thing for storage purposes, but again it concerns me from a durability standpoint. I'm sure I have to widen them to use them, too. Anyone have any experience with these Sport Guards?

Right now I think it's down to the Rock Tamers or RoadWings for me, but I'm open to your experience to sway my decision. Thanks in advance,

Joe
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Joe, I have had Enkay's flaps for several years, and have used them on three different vehicles. I have been able to adjust them to each one without any modification [only adjustments] in the system itself. I also like the fact that they can be easily disassembled and stored at the campsite, or in the truck when I don't need them. They have really eliminated the typical dings I used to get with regular mudflaps, and well worth the price. I have not seen the Blue Ox system, but I believe these are definitely the best of the choices. . .Built to last a lifetime. . . . Plus the people that make these created the design [no potential for rust] and are really great to work with, the kind that Airstreamers appreciate [in my probably not humble opinion].

I think you would really like them!!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
John,
I remember when you posted those pictures and thought that it was a clean installation. I imagine that your bar and flaps are definately lighter compared to the Rock Tamer. I decided to give them a try and have been pleased. They are a handfull when mounting them but the nice thing is that with my adjustments, they fit in the shortbed area just enough to have 3/4" on each end when I close the tailgate.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-04-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
[QUOTE=66Overlander]

The Rock Tamers appear the most adjustible and the dually version appears to be the only ones on the market that would be wide enough for the Hummer (about 83" wide) without modification. But they are easily the most expensive, and I have wondered if there would be any problems with all of the set screws loosening due to road vibrations. I like to hear everyones experiences with them, good or bad.

Joe -

As I stated previously, I have the Enkay's, and couldn't be happier with them.
The quality appears to me to be top notch. I've put about 15,000 miles a year on mine for the two years I've owned them (including a fair amount of non-towing dirt roads going fishing) and they still look close to new. I haven't had any problems at all with the set screw coming loose when I was towing, but I did loose one of them when I took the flaps off once last year and forgot to retighten the screws before driving off - stupid!! Now, I carry a couple extra screws to protect the screwball (me) from doing more stupid things!

In addition to the infinite adjustment possibilities, I think they'd look real COOL behind that new HUMMER!!

John
Old 05-04-2004, 11:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I checked the shipping charges to get this to Anchorage.....$120!! Just for that, we're going to raise all your fuel bills.