Old 06-16-2003, 08:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
BRUSH GUARDS

THOSE ARE SOME VERY NICE LOOKING SHIELDS, YOU SAY THEY ARE STAINLESS? DID YOU BUY IT BRUSHED FINISHED? BY THE SHEET? WHERE DID YOU BUY IT? DID YOU PUT YOUR ORIGINAL MOLDINGS ON THE EDGES? IT REALLY HAS GOOD CONTRAST WITH THE RIG, PROBABLY A LITTLE STOUTER THAN THE SOFTER AIRSTREAM ONES . DID YOU ROLL THEM ON AN ACETYLENE BOTTLE TO SHAPE?

Old 06-17-2003, 06:42 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Dimensions and shape

I bought the sheet cut to my specifications (Rectangle) and I cut the corners with electric shears.

Dimensions were 3' x 5' each

I shaped them by bending them aginst their selves. What I mean is that I set one end on the ground and bent the steel over until I reached the desired shape. I took a few tries but just take it slow and check it against the trailer often. It is difficult to bend but it will bend.

I trimmed them with some chrome molding from an auto store.
I had intentions of putting factory molding on them but the 1971 rub molding is not available. The molding is important because it provides for a stiffener. The shields will vibrate as you roll down the highway. The wind will make them "flap" and work the rivets loose. It is VERY important that you have fastened them tightly and eliminate any movement.

You will need a very good drill bit to drill holes into the stainless steel.
Smily

Old 07-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

how many rivets did it take to fasten those stainless panels on there they look great
Old 07-01-2003, 01:35 PM   #18
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Rivet count

This segment protectors actually swing out for cleaning and maintenance.

You cannot see the number of rivets because there are rivets holding the hinge assembly onto the body of the Airstream.

I would say that there are approximately ten rivets that hold the angle bracket to the trailer and ten more that hold the angle bracket to the hinge and ten more that hold the hinge to the segment protector. (Each side)

Then there are eight rivets per side that hold the the closing bracket to the skin of the trailer.

All said that would total about 72 rivets

Smily
Old 07-01-2003, 02:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've seen a number of Airstreams with fabric on the front - anyone familier with that? - What kind of material - how its fastened?

Ken J.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:37 AM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Unseen

I have never seen or heard of this application.

Are you certain that you are not referring to a bedliner substance that is painted onto the front of the coach?

I am haveing a hard time seeing any cloth providing protection to the skin. A rock or other debris traveling at 55 miles an hour can unleash a great amount of damage to anything in its path.

I know that bikers wear leather to minimize abrasion but it does not stop the bruises.

Smily

Old 07-02-2003, 09:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I saw one last week on the road so I could not talk to the owner - looked like black thick vinyl to me.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:54 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

I really liked the professional look of Ken Smily's SS segment protectors.

I don't have either the window or bottom protectors. I think the more important one to get first would be the smoked window protectors.

Like Smily I would like to make mine to avoid the roughly $750 cost of A/S supplied protectors. I heard the lower SS ones run about $650. So we're talking higher math of $1400. Ouch!
There are other things I'd like to do with that kind of dough!

I'm wondering if some of you creative folks out there have done a "traveling only" removeable and rollup protector...

Something that comes to mind is the silver sunscreens that fold/roll up for storage. Now that may not hold up, but it could be disposible after a couple seasons. And it could attach with industrial strength Velcro.

I've heard that people use attached cardboard on front when making the Alaska trip cause of increased incidences of trucks throwing rocks on that Alcan Hwy.

Or maybe making a more permanent window protector using carefully bent aluminum frame and riveting in 1/8" plexiglass curved to the window.

I'm rambling but trying to stimulate ideas and NOT reinvent the wheel !!!

Steve