Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Rock guards

I'm thinking of buying a 22' Sport. Wondering how important it is to have rock guards ie on the front of the trailer. Any Sport owners know the approximate cost? Guessing that something like RockTamers would also be recommended?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I would think close to mandatory,my Safari guards have some pretty good rock dings in them
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
I'm thinking of buying a 22' Sport. Wondering how important it is to have rock guards ie on the front of the trailer. Any Sport owners know the approximate cost? Guessing that something like RockTamers would also be recommended?
Rock Guards protect panoramic windows. The lower corner guards are called Segment Protectors for some reason. Is this what you're looking at?

I've met some tough conditions with my RockTamers. I'll say that my segment protectors, A-frame and unprotected areas at the front of our Safari are pretty dinged up. Segment protectors (stainless steel) do a great job of protecting that soft aluminum.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am a contrarian on the rock guards. I put a set on one of my AS trailers and they did look pretty but only for a little while, then they became as dinged up as the original metal did. Dinged up Stainless Steel looks no better than dinged up Aluminum. Why save the original surface in great condition for the next owner? Sort of like putting slip covers on your couches at home. That may protect them, but covers up the nice original fabric you so carefully chose. In the mean while the springs wear out and when you finally toss the couch, it has beautiful original fabric but the couch is still trash....LOL.

Put rock guard covers on your dinged up trailer when you are ready to sell it maybe. Then it will look good for the sale.

Again, you are reading my opinion only. I am not sure too many will agree with me.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Oh yes, I was talking about segment protectors. Window rock guards are pretty important in my opinion. Those front glass sections are very expensive to replace.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I am a contrarian on the rock guards. I put a set on one of my AS trailers and they did look pretty but only for a little while, then they became as dinged up as the original metal did. Dinged up Stainless Steel looks no better than dinged up Aluminum. Why save the original surface in great condition for the next owner? Sort of like putting slip covers on your couches at home. That may protect them, but covers up the nice original fabric you so carefully chose. In the mean while the springs wear out and when you finally toss the couch, it has beautiful original fabric but the couch is still trash....LOL.

Put rock guard covers on your dinged up trailer when you are ready to sell it maybe. Then it will look good for the sale.

Again, you are reading my opinion only. I am not sure too many will agree with me.
Your absolutely correct.

Dinged up Segment Protectors look bad too.

BUT, they cost a fraction of what it costs to replace a quarter panel.

Ball park $ 400.00 versus $ 1200.00.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Both our window protectors and rock guards/segment protectors have come in handy. Not only for the dings of road rocks. Around here, the highway department thinks gravel passes for highway sand in the winter months. We are pretty sure a passing vandal once threw a beer bottle at the Bambi, which caused quite a dent in the rock guard. This was fairly easy to flatten with a rubber mallet. Also, you can pick up other stuff besides dents, like wierd and tough-to-remove oil or tar deposits.

Another thing about the 22' Sport is that I don't think it comes with a rear bumper.

The 22' Sport has some advantages for those of us not wanting to invest in a bigger tow vehicle, like an actual kitchen and dry bath. On the other hand we prefer the Bambi's front and rear picture-window views, and got the rock guards and bumper as standard with the International edition.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Thanks for the replies. Yes segment protectors is what I meant. Sounds like each is $400 for the part. Wonder how much for installation by the dealer. Maybe I'll work them into the price negotiations if they play hardball with the price. As a side note, how important is a rear bumper? Should I be thinking about one of those on a Sport as well?
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Both rock guards for the windows and segment protectors are necessary around here unless you just want to "pay later".
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Both our window protectors and rock guards/segment protectors have come in handy. Not only for the dings of road rocks. Around here, the highway department thinks gravel passes for highway sand in the winter months. We are pretty sure a passing vandal once threw a beer bottle at the Bambi, which caused quite a dent in the rock guard. This was fairly easy to flatten with a rubber mallet. Also, you can pick up other stuff besides dents, like wierd and tough-to-remove oil or tar deposits.

Another thing about the 22' Sport is that I don't think it comes with a rear bumper.

The 22' Sport has some advantages for those of us not wanting to invest in a bigger tow vehicle, like an actual kitchen and dry bath. On the other hand we prefer the Bambi's front and rear picture-window views, and got the rock guards and bumper as standard with the International edition.
Labor to install the two segment protectors should not exceed 1 hour.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I hit a "gator" at 65 mph on the interstate. It was a full grown one and I couldn't avoid it. Not only did it cave in the segment protector, but also the segment behind it. The protector took the worst of it. I was able to pound out most of it, and used a suction cup to pull out the segment. Both look pretty good but with out the protector that gator would have been sitting on my couch.

The roads are so full of junk these days. Tires, furniture,construction debris, car parts, you name it.

Pings are one thing, caved panels another.

The protectors are money well spent.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

IMHO.....anything you can do to protect the clearcoat from damage, is worth it. Small dings can become obvious areas of corrosion.

Plus the stainless just looks nice.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
On my way to the WBCCI International Rally. I could not avoid a huge tire retread while coming over a hill in the hill country of west Texas on I10. There is a huge dent in the drivers side front segment panel. I’m now at a state park. I’m going to try and beat it out with a mallet, but have never taken one off. Any suggestions before I proceed?
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Latha....

Is the dent in a segment or the outer protector? Either way, use a suction cup first. You can get one at any auto parts store or Walmart. They are remarkably strong and only about 12 bucks. Pull the dent out. It may take several pulls around the damaged area. John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 05-12-2018, 05:03 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Don't laugh....

....but a spare tire did a pretty good job for a fellow AS'r right at the Campground. Was a pretty big deformation.
Took it off laid it in the tall grass and rolled away...should'a took pics.👍

Worth a try....it would be a good pay-back for the damn tire that caused the dent in the first place. 😡

Good Luck...

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
The guard was trashed all dented and bent. Went to Lowes. Got a mallet and a piece of 2x2 plywood. Laid it on the picnic table and woke everybody up at 8:30 am. It’s 93 degrees hear in Texas. By noon I had it in its original shape and put back on with minor dents. The hull has a large dent but I can pull it out with the suction cup later down the rode. Thanks John. See you down the rode.
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Have mallet...will travel.....

Glad it is better, Latha. With regular traveling it will likely not be the only time it gets whacked from road junk. My curb side protector has taken 2 big hits. Pushed and pulled them out pretty well both times. Now I travel with a suction cup with me just in case. About 12 bucks any auto store.

See you and Lynn in Salem, we arrive there June 19. John